Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2005 11:15:17 AM EDT
Those things are a major PIA.  My mom has a 2005 Chevy TrailBlazer, and those "automatic" door locks have got to be the second or third stupidest idea that GM came out with.  

With them, the doors lock when you take the car out of "Park."  When you want to get out of the car with the truck not in "Park" you have to put it in "Park" or manually lift the lock button.  If I am going to run into my house to grab something, and my mom stops the car without parking it, and then turns it around, and I come back to open the door, the door is locked.  I have to ask her to open the door-which she never locked in the first place.  

Why they lock in the first place when you take the car out of "Park" is another issue.  I'm not going to fall out when my mom's driving.  

I read in the Owner's Manual there is a way to switch the settings-through the Driver Information Center-which I think we don't have because we don't have the little buttons on the wheel.

So I guess we're SOL.

Deej86
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:21:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy your own car and quit making your mom drive you everywhere
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:22:39 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I'd do that-but Illinois makes you pass a vision test to get your DL.  So there.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:25:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd do that-but Illinois makes you pass a vision test to get your DL.  So there.  

Remind me about your vision problem when you show up at the firing range, so I can take cover
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:25:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Anyone have any opinions to contribute?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:26:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Remind me about your vision problem when you show up at the firing range, so I can take cover

No, I'm not going to go to the range.  So there.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:29:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Tahoe and you can turn that function off.  It's in the owners manual.  Might look through yours again in a different section.  You should have to take it to a service center (unless something has changed)  I'm sure to turn it off you have to turn the key on, press the gas pedal 3 times, honk the horn and then set the emergency brake, something to that effect.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:31:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Why they lock in the first place when you take the car out of "Park" is another issue.  I'm not going to fall out when my mom's driving.  

If someone ever tries to open the door and jump into your vehicle (or pull you out) when you're stopped in a parking lot, at a stop sign, at a traffic light, etc., I suspect you'll understand better.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:35:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:36:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have a Tahoe and you can turn that function off.  It's in the owners manual.  Might look through yours again in a different section.  You should have to take it to a service center (unless something has changed)  I'm sure to turn it off you have to turn the key on, press the gas pedal 3 times, honk the horn and then set the emergency brake, something to that effect.

I'll have to look, or maybe ask my BIL who works at the dealership where we bought the truck.

It's not a "problem that needs to be fixed".  It's more of an annoyance.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:37:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If someone ever tries to open the door and jump into your vehicle (or pull you out) when you're stopped in a parking lot, at a stop sign, at a traffic light, etc., I suspect you'll understand better.

I understand your point, but my family doesn't drive through any high-crime areas, so that's not anything to worry about.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:40:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I understand your point, but my family doesn't drive through any high-crime areas, so that's not anything to worry about.  

Crimes don't just occur in "high crime" areas, my friend... I sincerely pray that you never discover that.  
(Your statement I highlighted above in red really troubles me. )
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:03:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Crimes don't just occur in "high crime" areas, my friend... I sincerely pray that you never discover that.  
(Your statement I highlighted above in red really troubles me. )

I know.  My dad had a truck stolen in a good, residental, low crime section once...but what I really meant was I don't think I have much to worry about.  Besides, if they do(God forbid) steal the car, it has OnStar.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:33:46 PM EDT
[#13]
My 93 Lumina does that.  When the weather gets cool enough to spend time dissassembling the dash / console in a black car, I'm disconnecting that "feature"

Then again, I live in an area where I don't have to lock my car doors, and usually do not do so.  In any case, if they're going to steal the shitty factory stereo in it, I'd rather them just use the door rather than breaking a window which I really can't afford to replace at the moment.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:48:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I have them in my Sable, had it in the old car too.
Doesn't bother me really.
Think that's a waste of  R&D? How about filters for the seat heater/a/c.
They are the size of a drink coaster and are $30.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I have them in my Sable, had it in the old car too.
Doesn't bother me really.
Think that's a waste of  R&D? How about filters for the seat heater/a/c.
They are the size of a drink coaster and are $30.

One of the other bullsh-t things about GM is the sending units in the fuel tanks, one of the reasons that my parents got rid of their 2000 S-10 Blazer.  The POS wasn't sending the right readings to the fuel tank.

Don't get me wrong, I love GM products.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:17:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't have to worry about locks with my Blazer.

#1 Small town and I don't worry about it.
#2 When I lock my doors, they stay locked........and not by my choosing.
#3 I don't lock my doors because of #2

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:22:49 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I don't have to worry about locks with my Blazer.

#1 Small town and I don't worry about it.
#2 When I lock my doors, they stay locked........and not by my choosing.
#3 I don't lock my doors because of #2

WIZZO

Yeah, I happen to live in a pretty rich neighborhood(apt complex surrounded by $200K houses) and don't worry about locking my doors while driving.

ETA-Wizzo, my dad's truck is running fine right now-He put new gas in the tank and it starts and runs great-no more Speedway gas for him though.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:31:14 PM EDT
[#18]
there should be a way to change the setting without the fancy controls of the higher end comfort packages.
Unless they totally changed things with the 05
my 02 has those damn locks and the manual has steps for changing it, but I've never bothered as the steps look to be a bit long and pain in the ass-ish
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:36:30 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
there should be a way to change the setting without the fancy controls of the higher end comfort packages.
Unless they totally changed things with the 05
my 02 has those damn locks and the manual has steps for changing it, but I've never bothered as the steps look to be a bit long and pain in the ass-ish

I think they have a way to turn them off, I just have to do some more investigating.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I had it on my '02 Explorer XLT. My '05 Outback 2.5XT does not have it, and I wish it did. It's safer when you have to drive through/around shit neighborhoods, and the hassle is minor IMHO.

My wife is the main driver of our nicer car and I prefer safety to convenience for her and our baby, hence the 8 airbags, etc.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:39:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I had it on my '02 Explorer XLT. My '05 Outback 2.5XT does not have it, and I wish it did. It's safer when you have to drive through/around shit neighborhoods, and the hassle is minor IMHO.

My wife is the main driver of our nicer car and I prefer safety to convenience for her and our baby, hence the 8 airbags, etc.

Good point.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:50:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I love the autolock on the Suburban.  I wish my Prius had it.

It's kind of funny, our Blazer didn't have it.  I guess when you get higher in the General Motors food chain you get more features.

I would almost expect the Prius to have it since it has a lot of other technological features.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:54:27 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure hope you do not have any guns , and if you do does Mommy hold your hand when you shoot?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:03:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:08:07 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I would almost expect the Prius to have it since it has a lot of other technological features.  

Yeah, it's weird that it doesn't have it.  There's a third party reseller who makes a mod  which does it, though.

Hmmm,interesting.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:08:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure hope you do not have any guns , and if you do does Mommy hold your hand when you shoot?

No I dont.  

And besides, being a jerk doesn't get you anywhere.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:16:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Give the kid a break. Jeez. At least he's not posting on MTV.com.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:19:03 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Give the kid a break. Jeez. At least he's not posting on MTV.com.

+ a million.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:36:29 PM EDT
[#30]
My 03 ram has the same feature that the dealer did not tell me about. I pick up the truck at the deal and head strait to the ranch. I get out to open a gate to go check the cattle and hear thunk as i walk up to the truck. Yep truck is locked.

The dealer did not like coming to open the truck and paying to gas the truck up after I went balistic on them.

But at least bossey kept me company
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
My 03 ram has the same feature that the dealer did not tell me about. I pick up the truck at the deal and head strait to the ranch. I get out to open a gate to go check the cattle and hear thunk as i walk up to the truck. Yep truck is locked.

The dealer did not like coming to open the truck and paying to gas the truck up after I went balistic on them.

But at least bossey kept me company

It locked with the key in the iggey switch?!

The TB has a feature that will not allow the door to lock with the key in the iggey switch,  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:50:11 AM EDT
[#32]
I could be wrong, but I think the "automatic locks" are more for if you have kids.  As they like to randomly pull on door handles when you're trying to drive.

Just another safety feature...that probobly lowers your insurance too.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:03:53 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I could be wrong, but I think the "automatic locks" are more for if you have kids.  As they like to randomly pull on door handles when you're trying to drive.

Just another safety feature...that probobly lowers your insurance too.

Nope - many of the vehicles with the auto-lock feature (including mine) are designed such that pulling on the door handle from the inside will open the door whether it's locked (automatically or manually) or not.

Many have the "child safety locks" (often a switch in the door jamb) for the rear doors, but that's a separate issue.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:45:39 AM EDT
[#34]
I think this is a good example of where Ford has it right. On the Expedition the doors lock automatically but only after you have put it in gear AND let off the brake. Its also a bit nicer on Fords because at least on the front doors pulling on the handle unlocks the doors. In the event that you do somehow lock yourself out you can just unlock the door using the keypad rather than hoping you have a cellphone so that you can call OnBigBrotherStar. They allow you to help yourself rather than depending on a fee service. I know the keypads aren't on all models but I do think they are a very nice feature and should be available on more models.  I think the autolocking doors is a nice feature (at least the way Ford does it) because I don't always think to lock my doors even though I do carry everywhere I go. One would think if we go to those lengths that we would also think to lock our doors. Saying you don't drive thru high crime areas so you don't need it is about the most naive thing I have ever read. If I were going to carjack someone I sure as hell wouldn't be doing it in the ghetto. I'd go to nicer neighborhoods that have nicer cars and sheeple who are less likely to expect it since they don't live in a high crime neighborhood.
To the guy who got locked out of his Dodge. WTF? You saying you got out of the car and opened a gate and as you were walking back to the car the doors just locked? I'm pretty sure even Dodge wouldn't design anything that fucked up. Did you have something messed up with your electrical system or something?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:41:17 PM EDT
[#35]
I had a Chrysler Concorde and currently have a BMW and both had the automatic locks. But they only lock after you get the car rolling over 10-15 MPH. I Actually like this feature.

The only thing I don't like about  the BMW locks is you have to pull the inside handle twice to unlock the door. Next time I go to the dealer I'll see if they can have the doors unlock when the car is put into park or the ignition is turned off.

In both cases the cars were not originally programed for this. I guess the default was no auto lock and the user could have it changed if they desired.

Anyway, just call OnStar when your heading back to the car to unlock your doors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top