Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2005 7:43:54 PM EDT
Trying to respray a bumper due to a numbnut....base coat came out fine, but when I sprayed the clear coat, its came out almost a dirty white, and looked stringie, and looked like I was spraying Christmas snow on my paint.

I used 3 different airbrushes, same results, using an airbrush compressor, then I switched for a regular air compressor, same results.

I followed the mixing with the hardener according to the label.....so what gives?

Any paint/body pro's?  

Tomorrow I'll be wetsanding my mess again, and will respray the base coat again, and buy some more clear coat.....

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:27:22 PM EDT
[#1]
The clear is going to need a larger gun then an air brush to get the paint to atomize correctly so it lays down smooth. The high solid clears today for base coat/clear coat requier a specific size nozzle and air pressure.

A detail or touch up gun  might work, but.........

www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=86

I would get a something like this.

www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91009

Spider webs, we used to put  thick paint in the gun, turn the air pressure down and spray it onto certain areas of a car, then clear it.   It was called "cob webbing".   It was just like spraying out stings of paint.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:28:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Water???  Did you have a water seperator on the air tank?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:32:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Gravity feed guns work much better than bottom feed guns.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:49:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Water???  Did you have a water seperator on the air tank?

That's a big +1. The only other way it could come out that bad is if it was VERY humid.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:32:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks......actually, I didn't have a water separator.  I picked up a touch up gun, inline filter, and a water separator from Harbor Freight...

I'll try shooting the clear again.....hopefully it'll do it.

Thanks guys!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top