Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2022 4:22:54 PM EDT
Helping out a neighbor widow, and wishing Harleys were for me….  She has a ‘97 Dyna and a 2010 Electra Glide.  I believe she sell them for close to Trade-in and am curious what your thoughts are.  On one hand, these are in good shape, gas prices are up, and, well, Harleys.  On the other, it’s end of season here in PA, I believe she said the Electra needs tires.  

A dealer made, what an offer for both, unseen, that was below Trade in.  I understand that, but feel it was too low.  Curious how close to KBB Harleys are selling.  A year ago, she could have sold them in a day.  In fact, I sold my ‘05 Shadow early this summer for more than I paid for it in ‘20.  And it sold in less than a week.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:31:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Used market for everything is falling off. We've seen wholesale prices drop by probably 10-15% in the last 60 days. So every book is showing values that are way too high.

Plus that dealer is feeling exactly what you said. It's the end of the season and if he doesn't sell them tomorrow basically he's going to be storing them until spring. If that's the case they are another year older(loss of value) and the space to store them is worth something as well.

And Harley's don't hold their value like they used too. They flooded the market with product and it killed the used bikes values. Look on marketplace and craigslist and see what comparable bikes are selling for. It will probably be a lot less than you think.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:12:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Spend some time looking on craigslist facebook and cycle trader to see if you can find similar stuff.

Was the dealer a Harley Dealer?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:21:35 PM EDT
[#3]
RumbleOn.com

It is quick, hassle free & they pay fair value.

No hassles getting them running & then taking the bikes around to a bunch of different dealerships for them to play "games" with her.  

No maintenance.  No cleaning & detail.  No idiots wanting "Test Rides"...

She's not going to get full retail, but they even send a driver to come and pick up the motorcycle after first sending a cashiers check for the agreed amount to the seller.

Super Easy & again - they pay FAIR value for what it is she is selling.

Bigger_Hammer

Edited - KBB doesn't Buy or Sell Vehicles - they sell Clicks to Advertisers & thus their values tend to be over optimistic (to be kind).

NADA values reflect actual Auction Sales and are much closer to the "real" value.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I just did KBB for my 2013 Harley and it was higher than I expected. I’ve always thought NADA was closer to reality but they aren’t always consistent so I check them all.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:43:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Used market for everything is falling off. We've seen wholesale prices drop by probably 10-15% in the last 60 days. So every book is showing values that are way too high.

Plus that dealer is feeling exactly what you said. It's the end of the season and if he doesn't sell them tomorrow basically he's going to be storing them until spring. If that's the case they are another year older(loss of value) and the space to store them is worth something as well.

And Harley's don't hold their value like they used too. They flooded the market with product and it killed the used bikes values. Look on marketplace and craigslist and see what comparable bikes are selling for. It will probably be a lot less than you think.
View Quote

A lot of "boomers" (forgive me for using the "B" word) bought them with the image of riding the road free & wild and have now found that 800+ pound bagged Harleys are hard to manage on a old body    Thus there are a LOT of Harleys coming on the market as Used at the same time the number of active riders has declined.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Could you send me a pic/price/location/miles of the 97 Dyna if it is nice and clean please.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks.  I did some CL and FB Marketplace.  I think the Electra is where the dealer is coming up short, but not crazy short.  I'm not a dealer hater.  Yes, it is a Harley Dealer.

It's funny, I've ordered a Royal Enfield and I remember last year visiting that dealer, when he had 20 mikes.  Now he has  out building with bikes.

I'll check out Rumbleon
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:10:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

A lot of "boomers" (forgive me for using the "B" word) bought them with the image of riding the road free & wild and have now found that 800+ pound bagged Harleys are hard to manage on a old body    Thus there are a LOT of Harleys coming on the market as Used at the same time the number of active riders has declined.

Bigger_Hammer
View Quote

Wrong.
Lots of newbs bought bikes during beer aids to kill boredom and spend .gov funny money.
They just weren't buying geezer glides...

They bought ADVs, street fighters, crotch rockets, and enduros.

Dynas and sportsters are getting good prices. They're doing away with sportsters in favor of that new overhead cam faggotry to appease the emission fags in Europe and epa.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
RumbleOn.com

It is quick, hassle free & they pay fair value.

No hassles getting them running & then taking the bikes around to a bunch of different dealerships for them to play "games" with her.  

No maintenance.  No cleaning & detail.  No idiots wanting "Test Rides"...

She's not going to get full retail, but they even send a driver to come and pick up the motorcycle after first sending a cashiers check for the agreed amount to the seller.
View Quote

The only concern I have is her sending Rumbleon the title, before they send her the cash.  I get it, but she might not.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 11:21:09 PM EDT
[#10]
The '97 Dyna has a following and should be easy to sell unless it has issues.  Evo motor before Twin Cam and M8 with all their computer control shit, smog shit. They don't make Dynas anymore.  If it was a '90s FXR in good shape, she would get calls from all over the country from local craiglist listing.

I cannot speak much on the 2010 Electra though.

As to dealers pulling that shit about I got to sell it quickly before late fall are just negotiating a lower price.  They flip it to a warm weather state for a profit.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 3:45:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I looked at RumbleOn.com and at the bottom of the submit page, in faint little letters it says something about using your phone number for spamming you with other offers.
I think I'll stick with the poors on craigslist.

ETA: had to use edge because it wont show on firefox.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 9:25:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, it's all moot at this time, because the widow honored her  deal with the dealer.

They picked up the bikes, then called her with their final price and to acquire the titles:

The '97 the Dyna needed "carb work"  - what bike doesn't???

The Electra's rocker box was leaking oil.

Based on the figures she gave me, and quick research the dealer got the Dyna for free, IMO.  

If I could have stored them on my property, I'd have given her $2K more than the dealer and played the game.  I need to retire and get into  the estate "clean out" game fulltime.  It's not easy money, but something I would enjoy, partly because heirs would get a fair shake
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 9:35:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Do your own research. Fact is, KBB and NADA are calculating sales prices using sale prices from tax records, which are sale prices that they themselves help determine via their own publication.

I don't know enough about crime to know what to call this, but I know enough to know it is corruption.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 9:40:43 AM EDT
[#14]
End of year means dealers will sit on them until spring plus people want the things out of their garage and don't want the expense of getting them up and running in the spring.

I'd make a low offer myself, especially since the economy isn't what it was a couple of years ago and in the end, MC's are a toy for the vast majority of people.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top