Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2022 1:35:30 PM EDT
I had a 2.7L 4 cylinder engine in my 1996 T-100 and when I sold it four years ago it had 275K miles on it and the guy I sold it to is still driving it.

The 2.7L is as bullet proof of an engine that Toyota has ever made.  It has a timing chain.

My question is, my son and I are looking for a 4 door Tacoma for him, a new one, and with the crazy prices and supply, there are a number of 4 door Tacomas with the 2.7L available without the $10K dealer adjustment

He will not be towing with it, needs the 4 doors for the kid(s) and will use the truck to haul stuff for the yard.

My question is, those of you who have a 4 door Tacoma with the 2.7L engine, how do you like it?

Bronc
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 1:38:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine wasn't 4door, but I had an '03 w/ the 2.7. Wish I never sold it, but I needed something larger (for the fam).
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 1:47:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an 09 Access Cab with the 2.7l I4.  I would have gotten the 4 door version if that had been an option with this engine at the time.  It's been an off again, on again option.  If I ever replace mine, that's what I would want to replace it with.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have an 09 Access Cab with the 2.7l I4.  I would have gotten the 4 door version if that had been an option with this engine at the time.  It's been an off again, on again option.  If I ever replace mine, that's what I would want to replace it with.
View Quote

I did not mention, but I had a 2013 Access Cab with the 2.7L engine also.  Bought it used in 2017 with 77K miles on it for $17,500.  Sold it in early 2021 with 128K miles for $17,000.  If I would have kept 6 more months could have gotten close to $20,000 for it.

I do know the engine and I cant see how the performance of the 2.7L will be that much difference with the 4 door as compared to the T-100 and the 2013 Access Cab
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#4]
My 06 with the 2.7 is going strong.  On flat land, the 2.7 has plenty of grunt to handle most pickup needs.  In hill county, you will be stuck in the slow lane, but it will get you there.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:53:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I just got a 2022 4 door for MSRP a few months ago. I like it. It's not fast or wild, but it does what I need generally. I can fit people in it and it moves the basics I need which usually includes lumber. If I need something bigger, well, that's what the neighbors with the $50k+ power wagons are for.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#6]
My 2015 4 door has 55K on it.  Love it.
It almost bust a gut trailering my side by side Polaris, but it did it.  I have other vehicles for that kinda work though.
For kids and hauling stuff to the dump or for the house, it is jam up.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Gutless engines but run forever

Link Posted: 9/4/2022 10:36:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a 15 access cab 4x4 with 5 speed manual. It was gutless and got 1/2 ton V8 gas mileage.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 7:23:58 PM EDT
[#9]
He won't be getting any speeding tickets.

And if he manages one you should be proud of his dedication.

My brother has one, reliable as it gets but you get to go up hills in the slow lane with the semi's and Nissan hardbodys.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 6:18:14 PM EDT
[#10]
We bought one, got a 2022 4 door SR with the TSS Sport package.  This truck is loaded with a lot of options that the SR5 had.   Picking it up at the end of the month.  2.7L engine will do just fine…he has a house to take care of and a 1 year old son, our first grandchild and since he is our only child,  I bought the truck for him, he and his wife are ecstatic…rather see him enjoy his inheritance now than when we are gone.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We bought one, got a 2022 4 door SR with the TSS Sport package.  This truck is loaded with a lot of options that the SR5 had.   Picking it up at the end of the month.  2.7L engine will do just fine…he has a house to take care of and a 1 year old son, our first grandchild and since he is our only child,  I bought the truck for him, he and his wife are ecstatic…rather see him enjoy his inheritance now than when we are gone.
View Quote

Awesome!  If your son keeps its maintenance up, your grandson may end up driving it as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top