Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2022 8:31:07 PM EDT
Well I have a vehicle that is starting to get hard to get some parts for and the engine is needing to be replaced soon (compression check is just below the low mark)  I also am pretty close to work, less than 10 miles.  I do not want a new car and honestly might be more cost effective but really don't care.

Anyone play with doing it or getting it done.  I am more in the second camp as I don't have time for some of my other projects like my yard much less this.  

Vehicle is a small 1980's plckup that they no longer make anything like it. Probably around 3500-4000 Lbs but not sure, might be lighter than that.  Great for getting around and being able to have a truck bed for shit like garbage to the dump if needed.  It actually fits between the lines in a parking lot.  

As a note not exactly an EV fan but not a 'hater" either.  Just in my case makes since, most of my vehicles barely get up to temp and my diesel still hasn't registered yet if I drive straight there.  Not good for any combustion driven vehicle doing short trips like this all the time.

I looked for another "automotive" section of the forums but didn't see anything, if I missed a big sign of put this thread somewhere else I missed it...
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 9:08:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Seen it done on some very quick little cars setup to troll at the drag strip.

Ford sells the mustang mach-e motor as a crate motor.

The motor itself is similar in price to a new crate engine. Controllers add quite a bit and are necessary. Battery pack is the killer if you want useful range.

Buying a wreck is an option. Older Leaf is about the only one out that could get totaled out without having a toasted Battery pack though.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Ford and GM both made ean electric Ranger and an S-10 in the early 90's both were leased only to fleets and not sold to the public. Both put the battery pack under the bad along the frame and use aero mods to help efficiency. I got a chance to see both and drive the Ranger at a fleet demo. The Ranger was much better fit finish and reliability than the S-10 which at the time struggled with a 40 miles highway trip at speeds. Good luck
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 11:32:12 PM EDT
[#3]
There's a shop out here advertising conversions, seems like mostly MG's and stuff for them.

https://vintageunderground.com/

I love my '83 Toyota 4x4, but driving it after my Land Rover is rough. EV would be awesome in that thing.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 12:51:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Or just put an LS in it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Or just put an LS in it.
View Quote

The other one gets an LS.....
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 8:52:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought Ford is going to or did release the mach-E motors and other components for sale.

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 9:51:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Or just put a VW ALH TDI in it.
View Quote

T;FTFY
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 1:07:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I looked at it for a conversion of  a VW bug we have sitting around rotting.  It took about 4 seconds for the price to set in and forget that idea.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 8:43:07 PM EDT
[#9]
There’s a thread in the Chevy truck forum I sort of follow. I have no interest in owning any kind of EV but I do find this guys build interesting. Old Chevy truck he’s converting: https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=826089
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 9:14:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep, its them batteries that are the doozie.  Both in the cost and in the size.  
I've seen a dude with a factoryfive 818 with a tesla motor and running something like chevy volt batteries which aren't super duper yuuuge.  The tesla brand batteries are designed to be the entire floor of the car.  Very hard to stuff those into any other car as they are.  I have seen somebody who opened them up and reconfigured the cells to fit under the hood of an old 70s muscle car.  

Oh, and if you're made of money, I finally got the release notification from revolt.  They're a company that takes a tesla motor and makes it a crate motor, but turns it sideways so the axis of rotation runs front to back like the drivetrain in most of the old rear wheel drive cars.  The revolt kit makes it easier to just plop a tesla motor in and attach it to your existing rear differential and uses LS engine mounts.  They want $34-39k for the crate motor.

Link Posted: 5/4/2022 11:25:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yep, its them batteries that are the doozie.  Both in the cost and in the size.  
I've seen a dude with a factoryfive 818 with a tesla motor and running something like chevy volt batteries which aren't super duper yuuuge.  The tesla brand batteries are designed to be the entire floor of the car.  Very hard to stuff those into any other car as they are.  I have seen somebody who opened them up and reconfigured the cells to fit under the hood of an old 70s muscle car.  

Oh, and if you're made of money, I finally got the release notification from revolt.  They're a company that takes a tesla motor and makes it a crate motor, but turns it sideways so the axis of rotation runs front to back like the drivetrain in most of the old rear wheel drive cars.  The revolt kit makes it easier to just plop a tesla motor in and attach it to your existing rear differential and uses LS engine mounts.  They want $34-39k for the crate motor.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0460/0397/8406/products/IMG_0056_720x.jpg?v=1645144525
View Quote

I plan on putting the battery bank in under the bed floor just like the gas tank and spare tire is now.

I saw stuff like this but just like your suggestion a bit more for just the motor than I am looking to spend:

They have several models but this one is 65k but does come with a 53kWh battery pack.

Here is a link to there website and they have several other options.  This seems to be the most $$$$ except maybe the 911 conversion but that one is specific and didn't click on it.

https://electricgt.com/gte-motors/

The cheapest option is like 39k with double banks of tesla batteries 36k with a single.  They do come with most of all the components you need but the stuff to install it is all you (such as pumps for vacuum assisted brakes and such seem to be included unless I read it wrong).

I was thinking something more like this:

EVwest $9.3k

I had not see the ford crate motor and honestly probably a better option than what I had in mind.

I figure it will be 20k in the motor and controller, hopefully all the connections and stuff.  Basically everything but the battery pack, which I expect to be another 15k if I do it right.

Maybe I am off the mark but part of the reason I created the thread.

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Here you go.  Small, like an 80's pickup.  Electric, starts every time, crashworthy, and only 20 grand.  You are not going to convert a rusty S10 or Ranger into anything roadworthy for less.
Maverick
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top