Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2021 1:58:54 PM EDT
2005 chevy trailblazer. Helping my stepdad replace the water pump on my sisters suv. We can’t get the big bolt for the fan shroud to break free. Is there a special tool we need to get it?
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 2:06:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 2:07:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did mine a few years ago.  Having trouble picturing which bolt you are talking about.  Got a pic?
View Quote

I can get one. What’s the easiest way to post here in the thread?
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 2:07:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 2:08:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 2:11:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Let me know if this works

https://imgur.com/gallery/4anhZu0
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 2:12:40 PM EDT
[#6]
The big clutch fan bolt for the water pump. We can’t get it to break free
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 2:15:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 2:18:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ah, the fan itself not the shroud.  I borrowed a tool from Autozone.  You hold the clutch with one and undo with the other.  A really big adjustable wrench could probably do the same thing if you can find a way to wedge the fan so it doesn't spin.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The big clutch fan bolt for the water pump. We can't get it to break free

Ah, the fan itself not the shroud.  I borrowed a tool from Autozone.  You hold the clutch with one and undo with the other.  A really big adjustable wrench could probably do the same thing if you can find a way to wedge the fan so it doesn't spin.
Might have to hit it with a chisel/punch and hammer if it has been on for awhile.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a special wrench for this but I use a big adjustable because I can clamp it tight. Then I smack the handle a couple times with a 3 pound hammer to shock the threads loose. Leave the belt on until you get it loose. Left hand threads if I remember correctly
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 2:36:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Big wrench and a hammer or a hammer and chisel to break it loose.
Righty tighty lefty loosey on the fan clutch,it is not left hand thread.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 3:14:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Got the clutch fan kit from autozone. This thing still doesn’t want to come loose
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Made it hot

At work so, can't do much more with the pic.

Try tightening it instead of loosening it.  I'm pretty sure that those are left handed threads on that nut.

ETA:  I just read Jake03's post.  I guess I'm wrong..
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:56:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Air chisel is what I use.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:18:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Air chisel is what I use.
View Quote

I saw this on YouTube and it broke the nut free very quickly. I couldn't believe it worked on my 2003 silverado.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:30:45 PM EDT
[#15]
They make a wrench and holder for the pulley, if the fan couch nut is rusted up there is a wrench with a adapter to hit it with an air chisel.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 3:18:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the help guys. Got the nut off last night , new water pump installed, now working on getting it all back together .
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 10:35:23 PM EDT
[#17]
man what a pain in the ass that was lol

we got everything back together and got the trailblazer started. it runs great. thanks for the replies everyone
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top