Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/7/2018 11:15:33 PM EDT
I have an old but still serviceable set of Michelins on a 2000 Tundra that sat for a while.  They were pronounced dry rotted by the local shop who I can't trust as far as I can throw them.  A car guy I know says the cracks are only cosmetic and the things won't detonate on my like a set of old recaps.

I'm going to have to have wife and kids riding in this thing on the interstate - bit the bullet and get new tires, or don't sweat it?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:21:24 PM EDT
[#1]
From on the little I know, the performance of the tires is based on the entirety of the material being in good condition.  There may be a safety factor built in, but we likely don't know what that value is, and we don't know the level of reduced material performance from the elastomer degradation.  When the performance requirements exceed the safety factor reduction from elastomer degradation, failure occurs.

If they have cracks or visible damage, I'd replace them.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:21:38 PM EDT
[#2]
How old are the tires?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:24:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How old are the tires?
View Quote
Probably six years old.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:24:32 PM EDT
[#4]
When your tires disintegrate at highway speeds and your wife and kids get hurt or killed was it worth trying to be cheap? There is no fix for dry rotted tires, they will fall apart .
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:30:27 PM EDT
[#5]
$400 set of 4
that is a stock size
same brand I put on my 07 F150

flat tires on the highway sucks ass
well worth 400 just avoid that
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:33:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Probably six years old.
View Quote
Why dont you check the date code on the tire?
Also 6 years is a pretty old tire FWIW
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 12:06:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Post pics and date code from the tires. Just because you bought them 6 years ago, doesn't mean they weren't sitting around for a year or 3 on a shelf.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 12:14:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Post pics and date code from the tires. Just because you bought them 6 years ago, doesn't mean they weren't sitting around for a year or 3 on a shelf.
View Quote
OP....

Your thread is useless without these 2 things.

A pic of the tires...close-up where the the tread is.....and the date of the tires.

because anything else is just wasted typing.

_
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 12:17:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I had a 6 year old set of Michelin LTX tires which had minor "surface" dry rot cracks, blow out on me and tear the side of my pickup bed up.

I won't run ANY tire after 6 years old anymore.  They get replaced due to age, regardless of dry rot, or tread.

I even change out my spare tires, even though they never see the sun.  There are a LOT of cars on the road with 10 year old spare tires.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 12:47:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
$400 set of 4
that is a stock size
same brand I put on my 07 F150

flat tires on the highway sucks ass
well worth 400 just avoid that
View Quote
I'm not saying those are bad tires, but I did a lot of research recently when I was buying tires off walmart.com and I found I could spend a little more and get very good tires, rather than a name I've never heard of. I got falken wildpeak at3w severe weather rated tires for $130 a piece, 10 ply rated also. You're going to have to live with the tires for half a decade, may as well spend an extra $100 up front for better.
OP, I have replaced several sets of tires recently because they were old and dry rotted. Don't risk it.
ETA: some shitty Chinese tire from a company you've never heard of may be almost as bad as an old tire.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 12:53:36 AM EDT
[#11]
In for replies.

I also have 6 year old dry rotted tires with cracks.

My theory is they are probably good for the winter, but will probably fall apart on a hot road this summer if I push it much longer.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 3:41:21 AM EDT
[#12]
UV is the culprit... Tires can be stored for a reasonable amount of time indoors away from UV light.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 6:36:47 AM EDT
[#13]
many of us with humvees are using 8 and 10 year old surplus tires that are unused.

when one is $600 new and a used tire on wheel is $150-$200 it happens....

currently have one on the truck that is 16 years old.  it almost predates the GWOT.  however no signs of dryrot on any of them.

i am still getting rid of that 2002 tire....
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 7:21:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Look at Amazon and tire rack for reasonably priced tires.  As another poster mentioned, a set should be available for under $400.  If your lucky, you might locate a set of new takeoffs from someone upgrading from the factory.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 7:37:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Probably six years old.
View Quote
You are guessing "6 years"...

Look up the TIRE DATE CODE on the sidewall.  It will tell you How OLD the tire actually is.

Tire's exposure to the outside environment, or even indoor environment in warehouse or storage is very tough on them.   Plus the tires don't even have to have visible flaws (cracks & such) to be dangerous.

As they age, they harden (loss of traction) and the rubber becomes brittle (can cause blowouts)

Fast & Furious star Paul Walker died in a crash caused by old tires in a car he was riding in.

If your tires are dry rotted and cracking, then ask yourself if you VALUE your wife & kids, If Yes, then Man Up & Do the Right Thing and replace the dangerous tires ASAP.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 7:49:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If your tires are dry rotted and cracking, then ask yourself if you VALUE your wife & kids, If Yes, then Man Up & Do the Right Thing and replace the dangerous tires ASAP.
View Quote
I appreciate the responses.  The truck isn't currently driven, but I think the above is the bottom line in this discussion and will get some new ones before anybody starts using it.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 9:07:40 AM EDT
[#17]
I stopped buying Michelins.  Never wore a set out, just had to replace them due to the dry rot cracking.

Never had one blow out, just got tired of looking at the cracks after a couple years and replaced them.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 9:21:43 AM EDT
[#18]
There are at least three things to not skimp on when it comes to cars:  Brakes, batteries and tires.  When in doubt, throw it out!    The small investment is worth avoiding at worst a major catastrophe and at best a minor inconvenience.

I have had 2 set of Michelin tires here in the Deep South get the 'dry rot & cracking,' so I went up the line with Michelin customer service, etc. and the regional rep finally told me that the UV just eats 'em away starting right before the 4 year mark in the hot, sunny climates.   I have since stayed away from Michelin....I'll let you know how my new set of Goodyear Weatherguards hold up in about 36 months.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 10:27:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Ive warrantied more Michelin tires for dry rot than I have every other brand for any reason combined. This was at new car dealerships.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 10:40:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Ever try to use an old pencil eraser that is hard and just makes more of a mess? Ever stretch a rubber band just to have it lifelessly, with almost no energy, break in your hands?

That is what happens to rubber when it dries out: it looses elasticity and has a reduced coefficient of friction (it no longer sticks).
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 10:52:43 AM EDT
[#21]
You are riding on 18 year old tires. They were manufactured with a 50-70,000 mile life expectancy at the longest, at 10,000 a year that's no more than eight years. Ten, tops. These are nearly double that.

The ingredients in the tires are not formulated to exceed that life whether they look good or not. Biggest risk is simply losing air and going flat constantly, not good a 70mph on the road because you simply cannot "feel" it when rolling flat - radials, ya know.

Nothing automotive sits in storage and just because of that, the clock stops. Rubber continues to deteriorate, hoses age, oil oxidizes, and worse yet, fuel goes bad. Gasahol has a 90 day life, I can't tell you the number of customers who come in asking "how can it get this old car started it sat for three years and it just won't start!" Well, CRAP FUEL in the system is the problem. Tires aren't much different, it's all about hydrocarbons and at least they do get some protection blended in. Don't expect them to last forever, tho. Certainly not double the life.

This is why so many upscale tire shops now use nitrogen. It's not so much about a narrower range of expansion due to heat on the road, it's about taking out the O2 from inside the tire where it attacks from within. Since these things are time restricted it does prevent some early deterioration and that goes to charging YOU for THEIR lower risk of warranty problems.

Put on new tires - it's your wife and family. Then run the old ones on your beater and see for yourself. You won't like it. BTW, I have run tires as old as the car - I bought spares which were sheltered in the trunk and put them on the ground for a complete set. They almost never saw sunshine, ever, and were working ok. But - they were almost 18 years old, too. No cracking or checking tho. It's a night and day difference - would you buy lumber from someone's barn sheltered for 18 years, or from the pile outside out in the weather that long?
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 1:27:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Ultimately, it depends on how much you value your family's lives. If they're worth less than $400 to you, keep running those old dry-rotted tires.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 7:41:33 PM EDT
[#23]
I inherited a truck earlier this year. It had the original 10 year old tires with about 60% tread remaining. They sucked in the rain and spun easily when I turned. They lost grip with not much effort in the dry. I bought a new set of the almost same Michelins. The difference is night and day. Don't buy Chinese tires but buy new tires
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:17:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Having now been throughly chastened (and in an unusually gentle way, for ARFCOM), I will be buying new tires next week.  Thanks to all for an informative and persuasive response to my request for information - and thanks for not piling on.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:41:04 AM EDT
[#25]
And to end, my boss had a blowout on a MX-6 (Miata).
Went to Tires Plus , opted for the cheaper of 2 options.
When they brought the tire out the salesman said "I can't sell you this tire, it's been on the shelf too long, I'll give you the more expensive tire for the lesser price".
So at least one retailer pays attention to dates.
The difference is very real, just not visual.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 9:16:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Newer tires dry rot MUCH faster then the old one's ever did. Don't know if it's due to different chemical make up or if something was removed but it's true.

My 1993 Miata has the original Dunlops still on it, not a hint of dry rot or cracking on them. I am keeping them on just to see how long they last.

I think since the mid 2000s they dry rot and crack much faster. Wasn't it somewhere around that time when they reduced the carbon black in them?
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 9:44:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Newer tires dry rot MUCH faster then the old one's ever did. Don't know if it's due to different chemical make up or if something was removed but it's true.

My 1993 Miata has the original Dunlops still on it, not a hint of dry rot or cracking on them. I am keeping them on just to see how long they last.

I think since the mid 2000s they dry rot and crack much faster. Wasn't it somewhere around that time when they reduced the carbon black in them?
View Quote
You're driving on 25 year old tires?
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 10:02:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Tires start to degrade the second they come out of the mold.  If your date code shows your tires are over 7 years old, you should replace them.

I had a perfect 10 year old set, low mileage, garage stored, on a street rod.  Total tread separation and spun the car 2 x 360 at 80mph. I stopped just short of a bridge abutment.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 10:04:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
UV is the culprit... Tires can be stored for a reasonable amount of time indoors away from UV light.
View Quote
That would be a hard no.  From a BFG tire engineer:  "you know how those rubber bands in your kitchen drawer crumble and break?  Yeah, tires are the same."

And then they paid for two new tires to replace my 10 year old tires.  He also told me if they were less than 7, they would have repaired the damage to my car.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 10:10:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
This guy plays Russian roulette Polish style.  6 shooter with 5 loaded chambers.  If you kill a family when your old tires explode, you lose your house and your bank.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 10:42:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:06:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
there isn't a single crack in them. I will say it was always stored indoors most of the time so there isn't the UV factor which I consider to be one of the biggest reasons tires dry rot and crack.

The Michelins I had on my SUV started to dry rot in 5 years, was less then impressed with that. I've seen some of the modern quality tires start dry rotting/cracking in just a couple of years, so, my question is, WHY is that? What has changed?
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:08:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This guy plays Russian roulette Polish style.  6 shooter with 5 loaded chambers.  If you kill a family when your old tires explode, you lose your house and your bank.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are probably much safer then all the dipshits SUV drivers driving around with 15PSI in their tires every single day. Hell, Ford still can't make an alloy rim hold air...........Maybe in  100 years they can.......
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:44:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
They are probably much safer then all the dipshits SUV drivers driving around with 15PSI in their tires every single day. Hell, Ford still can't make an alloy rim hold air...........Maybe in  100 years they can.......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My factory ford alloy rims hold air, I check it weekly as part of my maintenance checks.

I think most people who drive around with low tires do so because they check their pressure so rarely, and there are many reasons a tire might slowly deflate, bad Schrader valve, bad rubber compound, bad bead seal, small puncture.

Rubber isn't rubber anymore, at least in that it doesn't come from trees, modern tires, and by modern I mean pretty much anything from the 70s on, are made from oil, and the "recipes" for the rubbers are different depending on expected tire usage.

The OP was wise to change it his tires, they are a consumable and really they are fairly cheap as far as maintenance and safety go
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 12:03:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My factory ford alloy rims hold air, I check it weekly as part of my maintenance checks.

I think most people who drive around with low tires do so because they check their pressure so rarely, and there are many reasons a tire might slowly deflate, bad Schrader valve, bad rubber compound, bad bead seal, small puncture.

Rubber isn't rubber anymore, at least in that it doesn't come from trees, modern tires, and by modern I mean pretty much anything from the 70s on, are made from oil, and the "recipes" for the rubbers are different depending on expected tire usage.

The OP was wise to change it his tires, they are a consumable and really they are fairly cheap as far as maintenance and safety go
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every car made since 2007 has TPMS.  How are all these people driving around with 15 psi?
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 12:14:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
what?
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 12:27:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what?
5 Ford trucks or SUV's 6 sets of Ford rims, and NONE of the damn things didn't lose 10PSI of air a month.

No other make I have ever owned had that issue.

Look at the makes with low tires on the road, the majority are Ford.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
I pulled a wagon home last year that had tires older than that on it.  They were flat but took air (tubes)

They are stupid hard, wagon had been sitting outside since the early 90's and they were all mix/matched off of various old cars and trucks.  If I didn't know they were 40-50 years old I would say 3 were still good for what they are on.  One is wanting to come unzipped.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 3:55:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
5 Ford trucks or SUV's 6 sets of Ford rims, and NONE of the damn things didn't lose 10PSI of air a month.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

what?

Never had an issue with a ford alloy wheel.  My F150 is just fine.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 4:07:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Tires older than 6 years are on borrowed time.  My parents had two blowouts due to tire age in Florida (IIRC, the tires were about 8 years old and had plenty of tread).  I had two tires on my truck that were 12 years old; they are gone now..
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 4:18:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I stopped buying Michelins.  Never wore a set out, just had to replace them due to the dry rot cracking.

Never had one blow out, just got tired of looking at the cracks after a couple years and replaced them.
View Quote
This is what happened to my LAST set of Michelins. State inspector failed them and they weren't half worn. Could not see any cords in the cracks but it didn't matter. 5 years old. Never again. I have a set of Hancook tires that are at least 6 and no weather checking. I've worn out Cooper and General tires. Never had to replace due to checking.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Every car made since 2007 has TPMS.  How are all these people driving around with 15 psi?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't think of that, when I ran over a pair of scissors mine tripped at 28 psi. Of course knowing how long my GF drove with the check engine light on I am betting some still do
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:25:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I didn't think of that, when I ran over a pair of scissors mine tripped at 28 psi. Of course knowing how long my GF drove with the check engine light on I am betting some still do
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do yall really think that the average driver gives a shit what lights are on?
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:28:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have an old but still serviceable set of Michelins on a 2000 Tundra that sat for a while.  They were pronounced dry rotted by the local shop who I can't trust as far as I can throw them.  A car guy I know says the cracks are only cosmetic and the things won't detonate on my like a set of old recaps.

I'm going to have to have wife and kids riding in this thing on the interstate - bit the bullet and get new tires, or don't sweat it?
View Quote
So you have cracks in your tires.....but you want to trust a "car" guy because he tells you they are just fine.

Wife and kids in the car?  Yeah....no need to use common sense and replace them, I'm sure the "car guy" knows what he's talking about.....

Good lord......
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 1:30:45 AM EDT
[#45]
On break so I didn’t have time to read every single word of every post above, but one thing I didn’t see mentioned...

If you know you have tires that a reasonable person would question the serviceability of, and you choose to drive on them, and get in an accident where the tires were a factor, don’t be surprised if your insurance refuses to cover you.  Or if the injured/damaged party somehow, just some way, makes a discovery of this thread. It likely won’t end well and could potentially be a criminal charge of negligence if all of the elements can be articulated. I’ve seen some pretty wild things happen with money-hungry attorneys in my 20+ years in law enforcement.

I only have one story to share, and it woke me up about tires. I bought a military vehicle for recreational use. The tires looked fine and rode fine. There were zero cracks, bulges, or other cause for concern. I didn’t check the date codes. The truck had been in private hands for years and the previous owner had purchased the tires new during his ownership, however the truck was rarely driven and sat outdoors. He wasn’t sure how old the tires were, but at least eight years. I chose to buy a set of brand new tires for it just to be safe. My mechanic said that when he went to remove the old tires from the wheels, the sidewalls basically disintegrated. He described the tires as rotted from the inside out. I never would have guessed and replace them only due to age, not visual condition.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 1:49:58 AM EDT
[#46]
We have a Honda ATV on our ranch, I think its a '97. Front tires are original. They kept going flat and I kept putting plugs in them. Last time I soaped them there were bubbles coming out everywhere! The rubber had the consistency of a sponge. Since this vehicle only drives over to the barn and back and never gets out of first gear I put tubes in it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 3:54:32 AM EDT
[#47]
I was able to get to far away places and get home with dry rotted tires.

I've also had them blow up on me on the road.

They can go either way but is it worth it for you if they do go south?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 3:11:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what?
Yeah, news to me.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 9:32:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
When your tires disintegrate at highway speeds and your wife and kids get hurt or killed was it worth trying to be cheap? There is no fix for dry rotted tires, they will fall apart .
View Quote
This. Even if you have to go in debt who cares. Your family’s life is worth waaaay more. Not worth risking at all.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:54:00 PM EDT
[#50]
I got new tires today. Retired the 6+ year old cracked Michelins
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top