Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2017 11:06:17 AM EDT
I have a 98 ranger 3.0 vulcan (Engine is actually a swap from an 03 taurus)  that has significant fuel in the oil.  Fuel pressure test gauge loses pressure slowly but steadily.   Intake is pulled, fuel rails and injectors are pulled.   Cannot put fuel pressure to the rails because the injectors will pop out of the rails. I'd rather not buy all 6 injectors if there is a way to bench test for a leaky one.   I've ohmed all of the injectors out with a meter and there all at 14.1-14.2 ohms.    Is there anyway to bench test these?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:15:59 AM EDT
[#1]
they leak due to build up inside.
just clean them since you have them out.
several at home cleaning video's.

should be simpler than trying to test for leakdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLuAVhVp44Y

not sure if he is an idiot or not for using brake cleaner, but it might work without issues. there are other chem choices however that might be more suited.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:16:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Two reasons why I would like to test them.

The amount of fuel in the oil was concerning, like.....glad I didn't spin a bearing concerning.

Also,  don't want to take it all apart again, in case I didn't get it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:02:03 PM EDT
[#3]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgX7X-IRoFE

basically you have to make a fixture that will hold the injector and something to presurize it with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvkRZWBG6vs

this guy did it without a fixture.
but he doesn't go into how he held it together.

once you get it presurized you fire it then let it off, with pressure on put back on it and see if it leaks.

But what I said before still stands, if you do the cleaning work which doesn't require as much pressure, you will see a bad spray pattern and can tell that one is probably "bad".
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:24:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Any suggestion as to whether I should use concentrated fuel injector cleaner or carb cleaner?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:34:26 PM EDT
[#5]
There are actually a lot of different chemicals that may or may not work.

Bio diesel is recommended by some. With some soak time in there too.

FP60

Amsoil Power Foam

sea foams deep creep

some one also mentioned slip 2000 carbon killer, but I think it disolves plastic too. so probably not a good idea.

There are a few sites that do the scare tactic on cleaning. While it is possible you could make it worse if you half ass it, as long as it is actually clean it should be fine.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:15:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I've heard something about using an ultrasonic cleaner.   I have a HF model.  Worth trying?   Procedure?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:40:56 PM EDT
[#7]
wouldn't be a bad thing as long as you use the right cleaner in it.
have to make sure it doesn't hurt electronics or plastic, vs running it through the injector itself.

here is a place that kind of trys to scare you into using their service and describes some pitfalls.
not saying that there aren't or that they are wrong, just that you can control some of them, and being off the car doesn't apply to several they call out.
https://www.injectorrx.com/injector-cleaning-methods/
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:08:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
why not just leave the fuel rail and intake on. prime the system, pull the plugs and borescope the cylinders. the one thats wet will be your culprit.
View Quote
That's an idea there, and I might do that after I put it back together again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top