Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2015 3:09:21 PM EDT
I bought the dust seals and oil seals.  At this point I just have to make a stand out of some 2x4's and buy fork oil.  

However, in watching some vids, it seems like O-rings are needed as well.  Is that every bike or just some?  

And as for torque specs, I don't have an owners manual.  How would I go about finding how tight to make everything?  My bike is an 86 vs700 Suzuki Intruder.  

EDIT:  With the fork oil...do I need to go to a local shop and get a very specific viscosity/brand/type/etc...or can something else be used and work just as well?  Maybe motor oil, trans fluid, etc.?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:38:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Speaking as someone who is mechanically inclined but lacking the proper equipment and and has done this (on a 1400 intruder) my recommendation is to pay a professional the $70 it takes to have it done. You're welcome.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Speaking as someone who is mechanically inclined but lacking the proper equipment and and has done this (on a 1400 intruder) my recommendation is to pay a professional the $70 it takes to have it done. You're welcome.
View Quote

Your mechanic charged you $70 to do both forks and the parts included?? You got a deal!!

As a rule I generally don't pay for anything I can do myself.  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:52:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Any other suggestions on fork oil, o-rings, or torque specs?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Not trying to be a smartass, but have you thought about ordering a manual?  It'll have info on fork overhaul, including oil viscosity and quantity. Minor changes in either or both could make a rather large difference in the performance of your forks and the longevity of the seals.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:27:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Definitely look for a factory manual if you plan on doing your own work on the bike.  It will tell you just about everything you need or want to know, everything from oil viscosity to torque values when tightening everything back up.

I also suggest reading up on an Intruder specific forum.  Many times putting in new springs and a different viscosity oil in the forks can really transform them for you.  On a good forum, you may even find a tutorial with all the info on how to change the oil seals with some tips on making the job easy to do.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:32:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Your mechanic charged you $70 to do both forks and the parts included?? You got a deal!!

-Emt1581
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Emt1581

No, I buy the seals and oil and pay for the labor, but the point I was trying to make is that I've done it myself (on an Intruder even) and its worth it to pay someone who has the proper tools and experience to avoid the frustration of the job. If you still want to do it yourself there is a ton of info at intruderalert.com. Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top