Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2015 11:57:29 AM EDT
I am a total noob when it comes to motorcycles.  I have been wanting to get one for a while and have been doing a lot of reading.  I'm mostly interested in adventure style bikes.  I have pretty much nailed down my choice to a Honda NC700X with the slight possibility of a Suzuki V-Storm 650 as my alternative choice.  

The reviews I have read on the NC 700X say it is a good bike that is great for beginners.  Most reviewers have said that it isn't much of a serious Adventure bike which is fine for me because I will not do any serious off roading with it, I will just be taking the occasional dirt road on it.  The V-Storm seems like it has a better resume as an adventure bike, but it does cost more than the Honda.  I am huge Honda fan since my 03 Rancher has given me zero problems.  The Honda also gets better gas mileage than the Suzuki.

So what says the Hive?  Are there any maintenance issues I need to be aware of with each bike?  I would love to hear from people who own either bike and their personal experience with it.  I plan to use which bike for recreation around my rural area, which will include dirt roads.  I don't plan to commute to work on it.  I will be taking the Rider's Safety Course before I get my bike.  Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 1:22:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Strom. Not storm, Strom, it's German for flow.

I say the Strom. Yes, Hondas are great bikes, but in this class the Strom is a better bike, with more aftermarket support.

also, HD isnt the only class. HD's Rider Safety Course is based on the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's basic rider course.  

if you look at www.msf-usa.org/ you can find a bunch of classes in your area.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 7:27:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a DL650A.  I do not regret anything about this bike.  It has plenty of power for me, and is very comfortable to ride straight from the factory.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 9:53:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Strom. Not storm, Strom, it's German for flow.

I say the Strom. Yes, Hondas are great bikes, but in this class the Strom is a better bike, with more aftermarket support.

also, HD isnt the only class. HD's Rider Safety Course is based on the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's basic rider course.  

if you look at www.msf-usa.org/ you can find a bunch of classes in your area.
View Quote

I thought Rider's Safety Course was a generic term.  Both dealers I have been to used that term for the course and they both sold Hondas, Yamahas, and Suzuki's.  The aftermarket support is something I have not considered and I will look at the options.  Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 9:54:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a DL650A.  I do not regret anything about this bike.  It has plenty of power for me, and is very comfortable to ride straight from the factory.
View Quote

Any off road time on it?  What about maintenance, have you had any issues?
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 11:08:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah, not an off road rider.  I prefer roads with some nice curves.  I only have 1800 miles on mine at the moment, no maintenance issues at this time.  The weather here has really screwed with my riding this year.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 7:09:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Have you read this thread yet?  Or looked on ADVrider?
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_134/1731123_Adventure_bikes__Acquiring_one_Arfcom_Adventure_Bike_thread.html

I had the dl1000. Only one issue is 60,000 miles. with probably 10k of that off road. the stator is a known weak point on the 1k, not sure about the 650.  It's a big, top heavy beast off pavement, but I still loved it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 8:11:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Either one would be great. However there are many more VStroms on the road and probably many more aftermarket accessories(farkles).

Welcome to the fold.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 10:12:54 AM EDT
[#8]
The V-Strom is a legendary bike. Huge aftermarket for whatever direction you want to take the bike in. I'd recommend it over the NC 700X.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 4:27:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Either bike are great first time bikes, but realize that adventure bikes are taller and more top heavy than many first time bikes, so they require slightly more practice in low-speed maneuvers, as they can be "tippy". But, once you get over that very small hump, the advantages of that stance is a good thing to have for a new rider.

I prefer (and own) the DL650 for many of the reasons mentioned, but if I were you'd just sit on both and see which fits you better. It may come down to that. Both are very reliable and similar in a lot of ways. If you're doing to do a lot of fireroads and light trails, the DL is the better bike.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 11:54:39 AM EDT
[#10]
The Honda is one step above (or below, depending on who you talk to) a Suzuki 650 Burgman.  

Go with the Suzuki.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 12:07:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The Honda is one step above (or below, depending on who you talk to) a Suzuki 650 Burgman.  

Go with the Suzuki.
View Quote

I take it you're not a DN-01 fan.

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 12:53:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a 2005 DL650, I've owned it since 2010, I bought it with just under 30k miles. I'm now over 75k miles. It just goes and goes, no issues to date. Basic maintenance (Oil, Chain & Sprockets, air filter, tires.) It hasn't even needed a valve adjustment yet. I am about due for a clutch though.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Go with the Suzuki.

Or the PC800.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 6:00:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:Or the PC800.  
View Quote

You can hate me, but I wanted one of those once. for about 20 minutes. I was young and dumb.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 10:21:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Guys, thanks for the responses.  I have taken a look at the Susuki and will probably go in that direction.  It seems like it has a solid reputation with a much longer history.  Again, thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:01:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Or the PC800.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go with the Suzuki.

Or the PC800.  

I was at a hotel in WV a couple years ago and the Pacific Coast owner's club was having a rally at the same hotel.

I'm sure there's an obvious correlation, but those men had the ugliest wives I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:31:36 AM EDT
[#17]
NC700X with the standard gear box. Super low maintenance and enough torque to be fun. I got mine about 2 months ago and have put about 3600 miles on it. I am liking it allot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top