Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2012 4:49:18 AM EDT
We are growing here at the shop and need a larger vehicle to transport stuff. I am looking at either a Expedition07-08 or Suburban but I see that the new suburbans seem to have some issues. Of course Fords in-ability to be able to fix the spark plug problem is what is driving me more towards a suburban. You would think after 10 years they would have a fix?

I see the 07 suburbans have oil burn problems that seem to be leading to engine failure. They seems to have the problem pretty much fixed by 08 so that is what we are looking at. What problems are yall seeing with these?

I see some minor electrical issues and mechanical issues popping up but no major oil burn for 08 on ward. Are these hitting 200,000 miles easily anymore?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:55:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:02:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I have an 07 Suburban 1500 2wd LTZ. It currently has 85k miles on it. I havent experienced any issues burning oil. I had a ton of electrical issues with it which i believe is very common on the 07 from what i've read online. At about 60k-70k miles it was at the dealer 6 times and had the battery replaced twice and alternator replaced once. All under warranty, thank god, but none of which fixed the problems. All of my issues were finally cured once the BCM was replaced, which actually was recalled on the 07. Other than the BCM i havent had any other mechanical issues. My biggest problems with it are mostly cosmetic. I've had both rear window defrost wires fall off the window several times and had to be resoldered, the driver power seat motor took a dump at 75k miles and the dealer wants $900 to replace it, all of the controlls on the A/C panel have flaked off to where you dont know what button is what now, the rear power hatch only works occasionally, both panels on the back of the front seats have fallen off multiple times, and the power mirrors no longer work. I also have an 01 Suburban and never experience any of these kinds of issues. I know they are mostly superficial but i would expect more from a 40k dollar plus truck.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:35:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Perhaps not quite relevant but I owned an 05 outback.  I usually buy new, then drive them to death.  I could not do so wth that car: It quickly became too expensive to repair and maintain.  major electrical gremlins of all sorts.  oil consumption issues.  all brake systems were rebuilt -  twice- inside of 90,000 miles (in contrast out Corolla went to 105,000 with original everything -  pads, shoes, rotors).  HEad gasket leaked like a sieve, replaced once under warranty at about 30,000, and was again shot to hell when I dumped the giant lemon at 93,000.

Nice  car.  great winter handling.  The most expensive car I've owned for maintenance and repairs.  It was always broken.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:54:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Just got done test driving several Suburbans, wow do they have those engines running smooth and powerful. Really incredible and I was pulling pretty good mpgs on the short hops on the highway. The thing was everybit as smooth as my much smaller V8 Cadillac.

The down side, sure enough just like the posters said the covering on the dials and other plastic parts was all worn off and the oil pan gasket was leaking pretty good. Otherwise it looked like a dam nice vehicle.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an 07 GMC Yukon same as the chevy with nicer trim inside, has 73K on it does not burn oil and no major issues at all. biggest issue was a cracked dash that was covered by warranty. 5.3 v8 4 speed automatic with tow package  

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:31:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:25:32 PM EDT
[#7]
they have wood grain trim on the door switch areas across the dash around all a/c vents  they one I own has leather and for some reason in the GMC'S they use a diffrent type of leather than the Chevy's  diffrent style of wheels , the Chevy's are not bad inside they just seem plain compared to the GMC .    the one I own has the SLT 2 package , it has all the toys
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top