Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2011 9:06:40 AM EDT

86 5/4ton with 6.2L, Turbo 400, 4wd and 18000 miles, an old Virginia National Guard truck. Runs awesome, some rust at bottom of cab corners. Luckily the patch panels are stupid cheap from LMC trucks. Time to find a 6.5 Turbo. Off to steel soldiers for tips and tricks.

Tows like a champ try that with a Prius!

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 9:28:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Sweet truck!
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 9:32:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice! How much did it cost you?
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 9:39:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Nice! How much did it cost you?

$2200.00. It even had two brand new batteries, TM and a 60gallon fuel tank/toolbox in the bed, a new extra set of glow plugs, extra filters, relays, a new alternator and a spare starter which I need to best test.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:19:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice truck! I like those a lot better than the Blazers!
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:28:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Awesome. Having near 100% interchangability with K1500/K2500 trucks from about 77 to 91 (For Burb's and Blazers) will make parts hunting easy. I expect nothing less than the best from you dude.

By the way, the Excursion looks bitchin' as always.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:33:11 AM EDT
[#6]
What are you going to do with it?

If I had one it would spend some quality time with a sawzall.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 3:38:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

What are you going to do with it?

If I had one it would spend some quality time with a sawzall.

Sawzall huh, what kind of mods are you thinking about?

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 4:05:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Can you tell me moar about the Excursion? Is that lifted?
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 4:08:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is that lifted?

They sure don't come like that stock.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 4:15:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd lose the grill guard and the bumpers.  I'd make something small to hold a winch up front, and cut the body until I could fit larger tires.  Probably 37s.

I'd also look into a suspension with a smoother ride.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 5:32:13 AM EDT
[#11]
That's a lot of truck for 2200 bucks, esp with those low of miles.   Congrats!!

vmax84
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 5:45:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Don't ever think you got a good deal on a military vehicle because it has low miles. *instant flash back of every truck/vehicle we trashed for training purposes*
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 5:50:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Don't ever think you got a good deal on a military vehicle because it has low miles. *instant flash back of every truck/vehicle we trashed for training purposes*

I clearly remember having brand new up armored HMMWVs in Iraq with literally single digit mileage getting blown up/burned.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 6:00:57 AM EDT
[#14]
To the OP: I'm sorry. I hope you like working on antiquated garbage. That engine is a dog, the 6.5L N/A and 6.5L Turbo are also dogs. I didn't feel the torque in those engines and they had a pissant amount of horsepower. It would be unsafe to drive on fast surface streets let alone fast freeways.

The Hummer H1 Alpha had a very nice powertrain (Duramax diesel) but they didn't sell them for too long. They looked at a new powertrain for the HMMWV but it was too costly from what I heard.

Link Posted: 11/21/2011 7:41:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 7:57:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
To the OP: I'm sorry. I hope you like working on antiquated garbage. That engine is a dog, the 6.5L N/A and 6.5L Turbo are also dogs. I didn't feel the torque in those engines and they had a pissant amount of horsepower. It would be unsafe to drive on fast surface streets let alone fast freeways.

The Hummer H1 Alpha had a very nice powertrain (Duramax diesel) but they didn't sell them for too long. They looked at a new powertrain for the HMMWV but it was too costly from what I heard.

The 6.5L and 6.2L are not unsafe to drive on highways.  They have enough grunt to be palatable, especially with the proper modifications. They won't be powerhouses like the 5.9L or 6.6L, but they aren't poor performers in Blazers and half-tons.  Comparing a half-ton to a HMMV is apples to boulders comparison, there's easily a 5,000lbs weight difference between the two.

The 6.5L, with an upgraded turbo, some exhaust modifications, a PMD relocation, turned up IP and some bigger injectors will be somewhere around 450ft-lbs torque at a very usable RPM. The 6.2L with the Banks Sidewinder (with similar aforementioned modifications supporting it) is too palatable for a beater truck.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I personally love to work on old vehicles. Its not my only truck so its going to be used for light hauling of mulch and topsoil, trash, and deer from the game trail. I know the 6.2 isnt anywhere near as a Cummins, Duramax or Powerstroke but thats ok, I have plenty of powerhouse vehicles.  I do have a built Cummins 6bt in storage that needs a home. I have been saving it for my Excursion for when the Powerstroke kicks it. Maybe a 4BT would be fun, but I just dont need another vehicle with tons of power and this motor starts and runs so good right now I would hate to mess with it.

Quoted:

I'd lose the grill guard and the bumpers. I'd make something small to hold a winch up front, and cut the body until I could fit larger tires. Probably 37s.
I'd also look into a suspension with a smoother ride.

Good ideas, I was going to go with those type of mods, 37's for sure, winches front and rear, and you are right, that 5/4 ton suspension is brutal, at least unloaded.

Quoted:

Can you tell me moar about the Excursion? Is that lifted?

Well, its a 2004 Powerstroke diesel 4x4 Eddie Bauer. It has 6" of lift, Bilstein shocks, 37" Toyo M/T's on 17" rims, Mile Marker locking hubs. It has AMP retractable steps so it makes it look a bit taller. Engine has EGR delete, arp headstuds, Aurora 3000 turbo, AFE intake, 4" turbo back exhaust with cat delete, 60hp injectors, Lockers front and rear, 4.56 gears.

Link Posted: 11/21/2011 5:30:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice!
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 5:56:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd do a 12 valve Cummins swap if I had the opportunity. I don't think the 6.2 and 6.5 are really worth modding.

Very nice truck by the way, I'm jealous.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top