Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2011 10:13:05 PM EDT
I started off 10 years ago with 2/6amp automotive battery charger..It would not "start" a drained battery so I moved up to a 2/10/55 amp the 55 amp "starting mode" works fairly fast..With well drained batteries it can 5-10 minutes to provide enough juice for it start but at least it works better than the smaller 2/6 amp unit..

What size do you guys use? Is a 200amp starting mode overkill? Largest battery we have is a 800 cca.

I would not mind picking one up and passing the older unit to my sister so she can have one.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:09:40 AM EDT
[#1]
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-6337-solar-es5000.aspx These work great for jumping a/o boosting car batteries. Used them all the time at the auto shop I worked at. I carry one in my pickup for emergencys and to power up accessorys with a cigarette lighter adaptor.

Use low viscosity motor oils in winter. If you keep a low amperage charger hooked up to the vehicle battery it will keep the battery warm for cold or very cold starts. You can also get battery warmers that attach to the side of the battery, they have to be plugged in to 120volts.

Service your battery and cables to make sure you have very good clean connections. You can buy battery terminal anti corrosion sprays to seal terminals. Don't use the felt rings, they are too thick and won't let the cable clamp down far enough on the terminal. I use grease in a pinch. You can also buy universal battery cable covers to cover up the grease to cover the mess.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top