Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2011 3:54:33 PM EDT
I thought this was a big no-no.   But I've reviewed a few really good suspension kit co.s instructions.

Many of them add a block to the factory block.  Stacked one on top of the other.  Looking at a fords rear axle mounting, it deosn't seem like a big deal. (BDS)

What say the hive mind?   Better to get larger one piece blocks elsewhere and use those instead?

I also noticed that BDS has an option where you can get new rear springs as part of a 4" kit that way you need no blocks.   But that's big $, and that extra arch will prevent me from also using airbags for towing.

Shucks, the two inch leveling kit, and switching from f250 blocks to f350 blocks seems like a better idea anyway.  No need to go crazy for just 33-35" tires.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:57:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I am not a fan of stacking blocks.  I prefer longer shackles in most cases.  Of course there is a limit to each...you can have too much block and too much shackle.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:03:25 PM EDT
[#2]
You should never stack blocks in the rear and you never USE blocks in the front. Yes, some companies say it's fine [stacking] but I'd rather err on the side of caution myself. I have seen some  short angle blocks meant to realign the driveshaft a bit better when lifting and thats as far as I'd go if it HAD to be used due to vibration.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:08:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I've seen stacked blocks spit out on rough terrain. Stacked blocks are for Highway Queens that never get dirty.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:08:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Would  you stack body lifts?

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:16:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Hell NO!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:36:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell NO!!!!!!!!

RIGHT ANSWER!

IMO suspension block stacking is even worse since you have moving unsprung parts and blocks that can "escape" even with the ubolts in place. Lastly you have many many body mounts in case one gives up. You lose one block and if going very fast you'll be in for a ride.  

No I'm not advocating BL stacking. I'm just pointing out how lift blocks are no better
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:49:58 PM EDT
[#7]
No added block, I would even ditch the factory block and use only lift springs.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks.  If I go with 4" than I'll spring for the arched No-block needed springs.  I'll have to fab the braket for the airbags, but that is probally nothing some angle iron and a welder cant fix.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:29:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Neither. Cut the fenders.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:43:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Thats what I did on my Mountaineer, and my Bronco. I prefer a low CG.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:11:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Here is an example of a suspension system rather than a "lift kit"

http://www.thecarlisuspension.com/index.html
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:31:35 PM EDT
[#12]
This right here.
Quoted:

No added block, I would even ditch the factory block and use only lift springs.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top