Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/19/2010 3:03:56 AM EDT
Lots of fun - just got it yesterday, so no real report - just that it's pretty fast .....

Options:
- premium model
- 6-speed standard
- 3.73 rear end
- 19" wheels
- comfort package

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 3:10:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 3:10:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice car but the engine bay and my fat fingers wouldn't be compatible.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 3:32:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 3:34:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Very nice.  Ford really got it right with this one.  It matches the M3 in performance and that is saying something.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 3:43:21 AM EDT
[#5]
nice, i don't buy cars on credit anymore the new stangs test my resolve
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 4:01:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Awesome, considering a GT convertible next year
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 4:24:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice. I prefer the 2009 style over the '10/'11 style but its nice that they went with the better motor this go around.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 4:28:20 AM EDT
[#8]
This man knows what's important in an ar15.com new vehicle picture thread!!

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 4:38:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I have been eyeing a couple GT-CS's at the dealership near my house...

I'm thinking a dark blue one, without the actual CS stripe, but all the other goodies...

(Or black...or Gunmetal)

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 4:47:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 4:49:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Very nice.  Ford really got it right with this one. .

Yes they did.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 5:11:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I love the clean look of yours.
I hope the plugs are under those valve covers..

The plugs are under the silver "powered by ford" cover, you can see the red and black connectors for the coils along the top edge.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 5:22:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Wow, that is some thin oil recommended.

6 or > quarts?
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 5:25:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

6 or > quarts?

I think it is 8 quarts.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 5:43:29 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm working up a '66 GT Fastback for one of these new 5.0 Ti-VCT engines.  So far FRPP has announced the sale of the engine, but looks like I'm going to have a hard time finding the '11 GT Transmission. Might have to get a T-56 instead.
Installing a coil over suspension from Rod & Custom Motorsprots to cut out the shock towers to make room for it.
Is there anyway you get me some photos of the front end drive belt and acessories like the A/C compressor and how they run the motor driven P/S pump?  Also, it would be great if you could get me a measurement of the radiator, width and heigth?

Great ride you have there. My wife offered to buy me one if I sold my '95 ragtop and my '66 project. I told her to go pound sand! She 'ain't killin' my dream!
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 5:49:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Thats a nice car and I'm not a Ford/Mustang fan at all.  At least you got a good setup with the manual and gears.  Really don't like the changes to 20w oil on all new vehicles, gonna stick to 30w for all mine.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 6:27:46 AM EDT
[#17]
That is gorgeous.

My ol' 5.0 approves if it's newest family member, the new 5.0.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 6:39:04 AM EDT
[#18]
At Petit leMans a couple weeks ago, there was a Shelby Cobra kit-car vendor (not FF) that had put a new 5.0 crate motor in a cobra.

That thing was sweeeet...

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:05:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:41:57 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm jealous!  Nice ride!  
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 8:08:09 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 8:33:57 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Very nice.  Ford really got it right with this one.  It matches the M3 in performance and that is saying something.

In a straight line - I tracked one pre-release. It sir, is no M3. Still for the money - one of the best values out there. Continued proof Ford knows what its doing

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 8:46:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

6 or > quarts?

I have to wonder if all Fords get the same oil cap, and call for 5w20 for economy reasons or something.  My 03 Ranger with the 3.0 V6 calls for 5w20 also.

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 9:01:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In a straight line - I tracked one pre-release. It sir, is no M3. Still for the money - one of the best values out there. Continued proof Ford knows what its doing

That's not true.  It really compares very favorably to the M3 in many respects, beats it in some, loses in others, but not enough that the $40,000 difference is worth it.  I've driven an M3, I've driven the new 5.0.  I'm buying a 5.0.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1010_2011_2011_ford_mustang_gt_vs_2011_bmw_m3_comparison/index.html

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 10:00:10 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not true.  It really compares very favorably to the M3 in many respects, beats it in some, loses in others, but not enough that the $40,000 difference is worth it.  I've driven an M3, I've driven the new 5.0.  I'm buying a 5.0.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1010_2011_2011_ford_mustang_gt_vs_2011_bmw_m3_comparison/index.html

Article says M3 wins - seriously I'm surprised - but not for the reason you might think.  I've driven both, but not back to back - the article pretty much echoes my sentiments about each - except MUCH less disparity in performance and lap-times  than I came away with. Nothing at all wrong with the GTs engine. It was what kept me in the game. I wasnt as impressed with the dynamics. The GT came off much softer less connected, not bad just loose - kinda floaty. A Mustang Challenge driver made the same point after a few laps. Which is true - based on the comments in the article - sure doesn't seem make much difference around the track tho. Regardless, appears to prove the go pedal beats chassis refinement in this case. For what most people do, the GT is a better choice in any event. This will give M3 fanbois fits.
I run into Probst once in a while - I'm interested in seeing what he has to say.
Here's  the impressions I posted back on May 20 - from the Archives - thought it was good, but from the article better than I thought - or the test was an anomaly. Meh not at a car rag.
...Mini-response - no data atm. As you can see from Evo's test - engine
has some headroom. Its the most compelling thing about the car.
It doesnt compare to the Vette. The stock Z06 in the first pic, driven
equally, would stomp all over it. The Stang is down 70 hp and 100 ft
lbs - up a few hundred pounds (GT=3600 lbs) and short some rubber. Z06
is almost twice as much. The off-road ride height doesn't help. But per
dollar and as you point out in most comfort categories, the Mustang
gives you a different, perhaps superior, characteristic set. As is, its
fun - set up correctly and use the straights well - but it doesn't
excel as a track car. Its powerful - the engine is indeed special. 7000
comes up quickly with near linear increase (Ti-VCT FTW) and gearing
with the 3.73 was very usable. No rowing through gears as I'm used to.
But the car is vague - EPAS isnt the culprit here, it was a pleasant
surprise. Perhaps to disguise the solid rear - and improve ride quality
- suspension concessions were made. Quite better than the last one and
others currently in its class. It telegraphs its intentions and no bad
habits I could discern. The nanny gear interferes often, even
suppressed (fixable). The Brembos haul you down with authority - but
the suspension needs to be considered when acting. Takes a set well -
but transitions need to be conscious and deliberate. With a bit of
work, it can be made handle road courses well enough. But I doubt it
would ever be near as good on track as a stock Z06, without making it a
real, balls out race car. Might mod it close to a C6 - but you'd loose
much of its competence - which is DD comfort. Which is fine. The Vette
an exceptional car with only a few peers and certainly isnt its target
- the Camaro is. Camaro's styling is the only thing preferable tho -
entirely subjective.
It doesnt excel at the track as its very well set up for the street.
Where some cars enhance every irregularity, nearly punishing you for
driving - the Mustang mutes them. Its controlled, well damped but the
ride quality is exceptional for the segment. Interior is relatively
spacious. The seats are comfortable - the Premium interior upgrade is
worth every penny. The standard interior is fine - 7 hours later, we
could have been driving a Lexus. But no Lexus would have the hammer
under the hood. It isnt a chore to drive, enter or catch a nap in
Just shy of 25 mpg on the interstate drive - on 87 - and if you need to
pass on a two lane country road...you dont need to hang out long.

Gives you an idea of the suspension movement in a fast long left sweeper.

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 10:02:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Thats a nice car and I'm not a Ford/Mustang fan at all.  At least you got a good setup with the manual and gears.  Really don't like the changes to 20w oil on all new vehicles, gonna stick to 30w for all mine.

the engineers designed the newer motors around 20W oils with tighter tolerances for a reason. Too thick of an oil and you will starve critical parts of lubrication while cold. the oil pumps are designed to pump oils at this viscosity, and anything thicker can cause parasitic drag and rob horsepower along with the possable damage that can be done.  
This subject has been discussed to death on many automotive forums, and this one too if I remember correctly.
In my younger days I always had the thinking "thicker oil must be better" so I ran 50W in all my cars.  My GM V6 was designed to run 30W something, and after 70,000 miles I started getting a rod knock that lasted another 30,000 until the rod came out of the oil pan.
The GM replacement engine (with correct oil) after that one got over 165,000 miles before I finally sold the minivan. Personally, I ALWAYS run what the manufacturer recommends after that experience.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 10:33:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Congrats, sweet ride. I've had 2 Mustang GT, '89 and '95.  This is the first one since those that I would consider buying. Good to see the "5.0" on the side again.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 1:52:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

6 or > quarts?

I have to wonder if all Fords get the same oil cap, and call for 5w20 for economy reasons or something.  My 03 Ranger with the 3.0 V6 calls for 5w20 also.

Newer Ford motors are built to tighter tolerances and require 5w20.  The Ranger's 3.0 is an old Taurus carryover, and 5w20 is recommended for CAFE fuel economy reasons.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a 2011 M3 ZCP and everything I see says I spent about $30k more for the same performance.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

nice, i don't buy cars on credit anymore the new stangs test my resolve

Neither did I.

Then the wife and I drove one.

Yeah, if all goes well I'll have pics soon.

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 10:38:10 PM EDT
[#32]
I hate you guys.  

Got demoted and a paycut on top of that.  Was all set to trade my 2000 GT in for a new 2011 GT.

Fuck Obama and his economy.

Sweet cars BTW, but I'm still jealous.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 10:45:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 4:58:33 AM EDT
[#34]
I would recommend getting these...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-mustangs-354/730045-jlt-oil-separator-5-0-a.html

I have used them in the past on my 01'
They do work...
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 6:22:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

the engineers designed the newer motors around 20W oils with tighter tolerances for a reason. Too thick of an oil and you will starve critical parts of lubrication while cold. the oil pumps are designed to pump oils at this viscosity, and anything thicker can cause parasitic drag and rob horsepower along with the possable damage that can be done.  
This subject has been discussed to death on many automotive forums, and this one too if I remember correctly.
In my younger days I always had the thinking "thicker oil must be better" so I ran 50W in all my cars.  My GM V6 was designed to run 30W something, and after 70,000 miles I started getting a rod knock that lasted another 30,000 until the rod came out of the oil pan.
The GM replacement engine (with correct oil) after that one got over 165,000 miles before I finally sold the minivan. Personally, I ALWAYS run what the manufacturer recommends after that experience.

Not necessarily.  Many of the newer cars in 2007 Toyota especially included a mid year switch via written notification.  No changes were made engine wise for that year or for the same engine in subsequent years.  It all has to do with the new mileage requirements, probably at the cost of engine protection, especially considering many are now recommending 10K mile changes.
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 6:57:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Powerblock took a factory crate new 5.0 and stuck it on the dyno this last weekend.. (Engine dyno)  and right off they got a max of 460HP!!!
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 7:28:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Powerblock took a factory crate new 5.0 and stuck it on the dyno this last weekend.. (Engine dyno)  and right off they got a max of 460HP!!!

Did they do any tweeking of the ECM programming? I've read a lot of good and bad things about the new 5.0  That's why I'm hooked on installing one in my '66.
Bad part was not really that bad. It involved any aftermarket items like cold air intakes and header changes. HP dropped with the bolt on, but after re-tweaking the ECM, it showed an increase.  I often wonder if the first tweaked the ECM, then made the mod and tweaked for the mod how things would have turned out?
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 8:03:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Big +1, OP.  

I am really glad to see Ford didn't put some hokey spoiler on the trunk.  Much prefer a subdued one.
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 8:44:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I hate you guys.  

Got demoted and a paycut on top of that.  Was all set to trade my 2000 GT in for a new 2011 GT.

Fuck Obama and his economy.

Sweet cars BTW, but I'm still jealous.

I hate to hear that.
Keep holding on tight and hopefully we'll get some of these idgits out of office and folks like you will get back on track.
I just don't have any position to be demoted to –– so at least you aren't bottom of the totem!
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 2:31:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

6 or > quarts?

5w20 pumps faster when cold, creates less friction in the pump and components, and has more extreme pressure additives per unit, because it is not loaded with viscosity improving additives. It also drains back faster, creating less windage.

Awesome car, OP. I hope it serves you well.
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 4:24:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Sounds about right, those numbers on their engine dyno are basically gross numbers.  A GM LS3 crate engine (rated 426-436 hp in cars) did right around 496hp I think it was on that same dyno on an earlier episode with the factory 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds/catalytic converters.  

I can't believe the kind of power we get w/ the modern factory V8s from the big 3.  It wasn't that many years ago where it took a pretty big heads/cam package with headers and all the supporting mods to get anywhere near these kinds of numbers.  They get em today while turning in pretty impressive MPG figures and meeting new emissions standards.  And they drive like your mother's caddy, not lopeing unstreetable beasts...

Kudos to Ford for putting this new 5.0 in the everyman, still affordable GT.  Didn't think they had it in em after hanging on to the 300hp level for so long.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2010 10:16:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

6 or > quarts?

5w20 pumps faster when cold, creates less friction in the pump and components, and has more extreme pressure additives per unit, because it is not loaded with viscosity improving additives. It also drains back faster, creating less windage.

Awesome car, OP. I hope it serves you well.

10 qt system...
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 5:38:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Lots of fun - just got it yesterday, so no real report - just that it's pretty fast .....

Options:
- premium model
- 6-speed standard
- 3.73 rear end
- 19" wheels
- comfort package

5.0 is rated at 412HP and 390ft-lb and 17 MPG city and 26 MPG highway - not bad.

s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/drfcolt/Mustang%20GT

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/drfcolt/Mustang%20GT/100_0534.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk64/drfcolt/Mustang%20GT/100_0531.jpg

Not bad?

My Viper GTS gets 6MPG.....I only dream of a 400HP+ car with 25MPG.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#44]
NICE!
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 6:40:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Very nice!!  I love my '03 GT and would love to add a new 5.0 to the stable.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Love the race red with charcoal interior. Saving all my O/T so I can pic one up next year at this time.
Maybe even spring for a Boss 302

Read up on tunes, exhaust, ect. Not that you will want to mod it

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/259-2011-Mustang
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 8:51:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Nice. I got mine 7/17. 5200 miles on it already and taking it for a baseline dyno run in the morning. Unfortunately heading straight out of town from there, but I want to know exactly what I have before I start modding it.

So far it's been flawless. I really like the car. It's my first mustang. It wasn't even on my radar when I needed a car, but I got talked into taking a test drive.

The car is fast, yes of course. But overall it's just really a very good car. Very much willing and able to do civilized daily-driver duties, yet capable of shocking the driver of a modified 6.0 GTO that thought he had an easy "kill" in his sights.

Good car.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#48]
I want one BADLY! I have to settle for a 4.6 3v model for playing at the strip. I'm not allowed to sell our 66. Oh well, maybe in 5 years
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 12:03:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Congrats, enjoy the new ride.
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 3:35:12 PM EDT
[#50]
412hp/390tq + 3.73 rears = One quick mofo.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top