Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2010 3:03:04 PM EDT
I had my 4x4 shop install a new power steering box on my K5 Blazer. The mechanic got the part and installed it (was not a part I brought in). This was done in January.

I just found out the bottom of the steering box is leaking pretty good. I tried to call mechanic and he is on vacation til the 12th. I found the receipt for the repair work, there was no warranty listed, so I dont know what will happen.

If there is a warranty on the powersteering box would I be liable to pay the labor AGAIN. I dont feel I should have to pay anything but I know this shop, he does good work but can be a real ass about fixing things like this at no charge.

Im trying to plan ahead and see if anyone else has been thru something like this.
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 3:32:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#2]
the lower the price the shorter the warranty, money does not grow on trees for shops either
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#3]
It's not a tough job I wouldn't hesitate to do it myself.
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Any decent shop will cover labor up to the warranty length of the part manf .
Not long ago 12 month 12K miles was standard , but that has changed .
I regularly now see parts with a 6 / 6 warranty and a few with a straight 90 day .
Of course there are always exceptions depending on how good of a customer you
have been .

Nothing is made or remanufactured here any more . That's no secret , but it used to be
Mexico , Canada , India , China and Israel were the bulk of places you'd see . Now
it's not surprising to countries that used to be trivia questions .

Last Friday I put a fuel filter in an Audi that was manufactured in Sierra Leon
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 6:40:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

It's not a tough job I wouldn't hesitate to do it myself.
If youre in any position to do it, you should. It is a real simple job.

Pickle fork and a pitman arm puller if you need the pitman arm.

Good luck with the shop.

Link Posted: 10/14/2010 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#6]
**UPDATE***

I know ya'll have been glued to the edge your seats waiting for an update

Anyways, took truck to mechanic and he was surprised at first that the Steering box went out, but he replaced it with a brand new one for free and covered the labor. I really didnt know it but he has his own 1 year labor warranty on stuff, so thats pretty good to know. Ive been going to him for years and never had to return any of the vehicles he worked on.

The snap ring on the bottom of the steering box that holds the seal fell out or broke, but came up MIA. He just decided to replace the whole steering box.

So there you have it. Not all mechanics are out to rip ppl off. lol. But I knew this guy was pretty straight up, just wasnt sure about taking my truck back after this long.
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#8]
glad to hear he fixed it and this didnt turn into a 20 page repair shop nightmare. i tried taking my rig once to a repair shop, they took 2 weeks and coulding figure out the problem, i took it back and troubleshot it myself and fixed it in a matter of hours.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:29:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Glad to hear you got it fixed.

I didn't see you mention it, and maybe you fixed it before––But the old square bodied Chevy's have a weak frame point right there. A brace and backing plate exists that'll prevent the steering box from warping and breaking the frame where it mounts;  http://coloradok5.com/ordsteeringbracereview.shtml

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 10:16:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Yea im a member of CK5.com and Ive got the ORD steering brace kit. Its a must have for these trucks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top