Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2010 12:10:16 PM EDT
I have a 2001 5.9L Ram 1500 4X4 Off Road Edition with 80K miles.

I went out this morning to make my weekly trash run and loaded up the truck. I have had some leak down issues with the fuel pump check valve so my normal procedure has been to turn the key to on and let the fuel pump pressurize the system then turn the key off. I repeat this two more times and on the third time engage the ignition and start the truck. If I don't do this the truck cranks for 5-10 seconds and then starts. Anyhow I did my normal routine and the truck starts but dies after a second or so. I try to start it two more times and it repeats the dying. Now it does nothing except turn over.

The battery is is fine and I've cleaned the connections. I've checked every fuse and relay and they are all okay.

I checked the fuel pressure at the rail and I have 49 psi, slightly less when the engine cranks.

I pulled a plug and cranked the motor and the spark looks strong. The cap and rotor have less than 3000 miles on them.

I checked for codes at the OBDII connection and there are none.

When I turn the key to the on position the indicator lights do a self test but the gauges don't display anything. The odometer reading flashes 4 times and reads "no bus" and the ABS and Airbag lights come on.

I did the cluster test and it gave me the following codes 900, 920, 921, 940, 950 and 999. It went through the rest of the cluster test and everything appeared for self check properly.

I checked the connection in the under hood fuse block and it appears to be clean and free from corrosion.

The last time I operated the truck it threw a check engine code for one of the O2 sensors. I cleared the code and it didn't come back.

I've not had any other problems I can recall although I had to get the tranny rebuilt last year. I've put less than 2500 miles on the truck since the tranny rebuild.

I'm guessing maybe the PCM but I don't know how to test it and I hate to replace something that isn't bad since PCMs are pricey.

Any help would be awsome.

I got some info from this dodge forum but the symptoms were not exactly the same. Dodge Forum
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:51:42 PM EDT
[#1]
If you pull the wires and crank then pull the plugs are they wet with fuel? If they are you injectors are fine., Then only other Item I can think of would be the fuel pressure regulator. If it was sticking that would explain the pressure leak down that you are getting as well as well as the non start now. The pressure regulator would be keeping the fuel from being able to spray through the injectors.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:21:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If you pull the wires and crank then pull the plugs are they wet with fuel? If they are you injectors are fine., Then only other Item I can think of would be the fuel pressure regulator. If it was sticking that would explain the pressure leak down that you are getting as well as well as the non start now. The pressure regulator would be keeping the fuel from being able to spray through the injectors.

I don't think this is a fuel issue. I've found others with similar problems and it comes down to the gages not moving when the key is turned on. The "no bus" indicator is telling me that the cluster is not communicationg with the PCM hence the gauge needles not moving. I've been hoping a Dodge Mechanic would step forward and help me confirm the PCM issue or give me some more diaognostic info to point me to the fault. I'm 200 miles from the nearest dealer and don't really want to tow this thing to Vegas.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:22:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top