Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2010 9:00:12 AM EDT
I have an 02 Lincoln Navigator with 82k miles AWD/4WD.  I plan on keeping it until the tires fall off so I am in for very high mileage and age.  I have keep it maintained with Ford products until I switched to Mobil One synthetic 5W30 at the last oil change.  Soon I will need the transmission flushed and am considering the axles and transfer case as well.

Thoughts and experiences on Mobil One Synthetic ATF? and gear oils?  I am not doing this myself so I would like to get it done just once.

FB
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:32:43 AM EDT
[#1]
M1 won't likely give you the longest OCI, if that's what you were going for.
I'm sure they are good oils, but I'll have to defer to those who have experience with those particular oils.
They may be in my Pontiac currently, until I swap all the oils out. I'm not positive without researching it a little bit more (what the factory fills are).
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Mobil 1 always gets my vote. Top-notch breakdown resistance and lubrication.  I use their motor oil and gear oil regularly and have had no issues.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:09:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Installing a bypass oil filter will also extend the life of your oil and engine.

Your standard filter will filter out crud 20 microns or bigger.  The bypass filter will take a portion of your recirculating oil and filter out the stuff down to 1 micron.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:17:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I run synthetics in everything but the transmission but I service that at 30K miles religiously.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:28:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Mobil ! oils are all excellant you are going to use the best oils.Switch over to mobil 1 oils any of them they are excellant.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:25:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Didn't Ford have some thing about trans fluid or some upgrade for it some years ago?  I want to make sure I use a compatible ATF.

nm  Found it.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:06:43 PM EDT
[#7]
What is a CVT application?  Mine claims it needs MERCON and obviously not to mix.

<snip> Mobils website

The synthetic base oil enables excellent performance even in the
severest of operating conditions. It offers outstanding gear shifting
and power transfer performance versus conventional ATF fluids. The
inherently high viscosity index and stability of Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF
help protect against thermal breakdown at high operating temperatures,
while still providing outstanding performance at very low ambient
temperatures.

Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF combines high-performance synthetic hydrocarbon
base oils and a superior balanced additive system to provide
significantly higher levels of performance above conventional fluids.
This unique, advanced technology provides long drain capability,
excellent friction retention, and low-temperature fluidity. Further, it
helps to improve overall transmission durability and cleanliness.  Mobil
1 Synthetic ATF is also compatible with conventional ATFs.

Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is formulated for use in most North American, European and Asian vehicles.

• Approved for Allison C-4 applications

• Exceeds JASO 1-A performance standard

• Also suitable for use in vehicles that specify the following fluid requirements:

• Audi G 052 025-A2, G 052 162-A1

• BMW LA2634

• Esso LT 71141

• ETL-7045E, ETL-8072B, N402

• Ford* MERCON*, MERCON V

• All 2005 and earlier GM vehicles**

• Honda ATF-Z1*

• Hyundai SP-II, SP-III

• Idemitsu K17

• JWS 3309

• Kia SP-II, SP-III

• MAN 339F, V1, Z1, Z2

• Mazda ATF-III, ATF-MV

• Mercedes-Benz 236.1, 236.2, 236.5, 236.6, 236.7, 236.9

• Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II, SP-III

• Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J, Matic-K

• Subaru ATF

• Toyota T-III, T-IV

• Voith 55.6335.XX (G607, G1363)

• Volvo 97340

• ZF TE-ML 03D, 04D, 09, 14A, 14B, 16L, 17C

*Not recommend for CVT applications, Mercon® SP, Ford Type F
**Mobil
DEXRON-VI ATF is recommended for 2006 and newer GM vehicles and
improved performance in 2005 and earlier vehicles, wherever DEXRON is
specified.

Automatic transmissions should
be checked for proper fluid levels at regular intervals, and the fluid
should be changed at manufacturer-recommended intervals. However, this
may vary due to your vehicle's operating conditions. Some manufacturers
recommend more frequent changes of transmission fluid under severe
driving conditions, such as heavy traffic, hot weather and trailer
pulling.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What is a CVT application?  Mine claims it needs MERCON and obviously not to mix.

Continuously Variable Transmission
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:30:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Your vehicle doesn't have this, as far as I'm aware.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:09:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Your vehicle will take Mercon, or Mercon V.  If you look at the transmission dipstick it will be marked with the fluid to use.  Mercon is no longer made by Ford but companies have ATF that meets the Mercon specs.  Ford has moved to Mercon V which will work just fine in place of Mercon.  The t-case will take the same fluid as the transmission.

Mobil 1 brand in the transmission, t-case, or differentials won't get you out of doing the mileage based maintenance.  Just go with whatever meets the spec.  If given the choice between synthetic and conventional then I'd go synthetic for a few dollars more.  If synthetic is a lot more I'd skip it because 30k miles later it's still recommended you change the fluid.

The differentials take lots of abuse from people and they keep going.  I'll bet ~1/4 of the people towing their boat to the lake in the summer have never serviced their differential after repeated dunks in the lake, and miles of towing the boat.  The "cheap" gear oil will work fine in the differentials just make sure it meets the spec.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:22:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Your vehicle will take Mercon, or Mercon V.  If you look at the transmission dipstick it will be marked with the fluid to use.  Mercon is no longer made by Ford but companies have ATF that meets the Mercon specs.  Ford has moved to Mercon V which will work just fine in place of Mercon.  The t-case will take the same fluid as the transmission.

Mobil 1 brand in the transmission, t-case, or differentials won't get you out of doing the mileage based maintenance.  Just go with whatever meets the spec.  If given the choice between synthetic and conventional then I'd go synthetic for a few dollars more.  If synthetic is a lot more I'd skip it because 30k miles later it's still recommended you change the fluid.

The differentials take lots of abuse from people and they keep going.  I'll bet ~1/4 of the people towing their boat to the lake in the summer have never serviced their differential after repeated dunks in the lake, and miles of towing the boat.  The "cheap" gear oil will work fine in the differentials just make sure it meets the spec.

I've read a few places where going from MERCON to MERCON V would cause older transmission gaskets to swell and cause leaks.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:37:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've read a few places where going from MERCON to MERCON V would cause older transmission gaskets to swell and cause leaks.

Yeah, I hear stories about the 4R100 and E4OD requiring Mercon and people suggest Dexron III if Mercon can't be found because Mercon V is so bad for those transmissions.

I've found it's old information that Mercon V isn't compatible with Mercon.  Ford reformulated Mercon V to make it backwards compatible, when Mercon V first came out it wasn't compatible.  If Ford still needed Mercon you'd be able to buy red bottles of Motorcraft Mercon ATF in the store.  They really wouldn't want to just give that market share to Dexron III.

Going with the Mobil 1 fluid won't hurt you, they make a Mercon spec fluid so you can completely avoid the Mercon vs Mercon V debate.  

Just don't get the misconception that you can go 60k miles without an ATF fluid change because you've got Mobil 1 fluid.  Realistically, an auto transmission tends to last 150k-200k miles even with 30k fluid changes, less if you tow stuff often.  Just focus on changing the fluid at the right intervals.  Mobil 1 won't give you extended service intervals and make a transmission last a few ranges outside of its life-cycle standard deviation.  Mobil 1 makes good fluid, no argument there.  If it doesn't cost you a lot to get all Mobil 1 fluids then go for it.  If doing the transmission, t-case, and difs is going to cost $300 more for all Mobil 1 fluids over a mix and match of what's on sale I think you're throwing money away.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top