Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2010 2:13:55 PM EDT
i just recently put some V&H straightshots on my 2008 Suzuki Boulevard C50. they sound great, but i've got the backfire/afterfire popping sound every time i decelerate. i read that you can disable the PAIR valve, and that this should solve the problem. i did it as instructed, but i'm still getting the really loud popping sound. i checked the header bolts to make sure nothing was loose/leaking, and they seem fine. any suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 2:42:47 PM EDT
[#1]
changing out the pipes messes up your fuel/air ratio being that theres less backpressure.  You need to have the bike tuned.  With my harley I noticed using higher quality gas helped as well.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:19:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not at all familiar with the C50. Is it carbed or fuel injected?

Sounds too lean, it either needs to have the carb(s) rejetted or the ecm remapped to provide a richer mixture.

As stated above, less restrictive exhaust will flow more air, so you need to throw more fuel at it to balance it out.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:01:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Sounds too lean, it either needs to have the carb(s) rejetted or the ecm remapped to provide a richer mixture.

As stated above, less restrictive exhaust will flow more air, so you need to throw more fuel at it to balance it out.

The C50 is fuel injected.  It's immediate predecessor, the Volusia, was exactly the same, just carbureted.

I'm in agreeance with the above - popping is a sure sign of a lean condition.  All bikes sold these days are jetted/programmed to be very lean, as emissions regulations have gotten a whole lot tighter over the past 10 years.  It's actually very normal, but some people don't dig it.  

Time to find an ECU tuner of some sort and richen up the low-end/idle fueling a little bit.  That would probably solve the popping-on-deceleration issue.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:11:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The C50 is fuel injected.  It's immediate predecessor, the Volusia, was exactly the same, just carbureted.

I'm in agreeance with the above - popping is a sure sign of a lean condition.  All bikes sold these days are jetted/programmed to be very lean, as emissions regulations have gotten a whole lot tighter over the past 10 years.  It's actually very normal, but some people don't dig it.  

Time to find an ECU tuner of some sort and richen up the low-end/idle fueling a little bit.  That would probably solve the popping-on-deceleration issue.

thanks for all the advice, guys. on some sites i've heard that simply disengaging the pair valve would fix it, but it looks like i gotta spring for a fuel processor/chip thingamajig or whatever they call 'em. i appreciate the help.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:05:25 PM EDT
[#5]
What did you do to remove the PAIR system? Did you take the plumbing off the cylinder heads and block off the ports? In my experience the Volusia/Marauder/Intruders all popped and farted on trailing throttle and deceleration. Kinda like the TLS/TLR sportbikes would sound the cannons coming off the front straight into turn one at Summit Point.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:15:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 Popping on decel is a lean condition and the only way you're going to fix it is with a programmer.

Brian
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:12:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:44:58 AM EDT
[#8]
You might want to ask about this over at volusiariders.com This had been discussed at length over there, but I suspect you'll need a power commander at this point.

FWIW, the local dealer claims they've had success putting V&H pipes on 08s (I have an 08 too) without using a power commander. They didn't go into detail and I like how the stock pipes sound so I didn't press for more information.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top