Sep 30, 2009 12:34 NY Time
Bid/Ask 1007.30 - 1008.30
Low/High 993.70 - 1009.30
Change +15.60   +1.57%
30daychg +56.40   +5.93%
1yearchg +137.30   +15.78%
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 11:24:19 AM EDT
[#1]
By the end of the day on the 15th of Sept., gold had closed three straight trading days above $1,000.  If I am correct in my understanding of this, this meant that $1,000 had for the first time in recent history become a support level for the gold price instead of a resistance level.  This is very bullish for the future price of gold.  It doesn't mean that gold cannot trade under $1,000, but it means that a major resistance level is now history and it will be much easier now for gold to go significantly higher.

But this isn't rocket science.  It doesn't take a genius to see that the U.S. dollar basically has no long term future anymore from this point.
Link Posted: 9/30/2009 3:24:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I will probably be buying gold bullion, pre-1933 coins, etc. here pretty soon.
Not just "normal" gold though, which FDR requisitioned for what the government wanted to pay for it, though.
Link Posted: 10/4/2009 12:04:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Not just "normal" gold though, which FDR requisitioned for what the government wanted to pay for it, though.

Why pay a premium for "old gold"?
What reason would there be to 'confiscate' gold and if 'they' did why do you think they would not go for the old and the new?
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 4:28:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What reason would there be to 'confiscate' gold and if 'they' did why do you think they would not go for the old and the new?

Just Google 'us gold confiscation'
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 7:07:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I dont like your hope.... I'm holding out for the 300 / oz days of old.
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 5:47:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I dont like your hope.... I'm holding out for the 300 / oz days of old.

Peter Schiff and others are warning of the collapse of the dollar and you're hoping for $300?  It would be nice, but the more the Fed print the currency, the less it's worth.  Thanks Bush (bailout 1) and Obama (bailout 2-4).
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Better off buying used THINGS and LAND at rock-bottom prices from desperate individuals that can then be later exchanged for gold.  I'm not buying gold - no one really has an understanding of its value (i.e. does a gold coin buy you a loaf of bread?  or the whole bread aisle?).  Buy cash (actual money - not stuff in your bank account) and the things and land you have always wanted.  We are entering a period of deflation - and when the rest of the US figures that out (as their credit card companies go into bankruptcy), there will be a run on the banks to get money to pay for their food.  Good luck getting your money out of the bank then.  

Gold is cool if you already owned it.  Buy ammo, land, non-perishable food, tools, survival gear, fuel, etc.  You can't eat, shoot or sleep under gold.  And in the immediate economic SHTF, those will be your major concerns.
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 7:26:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. Limited, old collectibles should, through the laws of economics, become even more valuable as time passes.
2. As far as I am aware, collectibles and deemed "historical items" are much harder for the government to legally obtain, if not virtually impossible. A gold brick, for example, is not, particularly.
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 5:08:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. Limited, old collectibles should, through the laws of economics, become even more valuable as time passes.
2. As far as I am aware, collectibles and deemed "historical items" are much harder for the government to legally obtain, if not virtually impossible. A gold brick, for example, is not, particularly.

Somehow I think the seizing of any private property that we would ordinarily consider "illegal" will be ram-rodded through on the basis of National Security or of Vital Interest to the Public - or whatever assenine excuse the ruling class dreams up at the moment.

I am no longer holding my breath for what is considered "legal or illegal" anymore.  It's really just a matter of perspective, timing, and influence.
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 7:28:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Somehow I think the seizing of any private property that we would ordinarily consider "illegal" will be ram-rodded through on the basis of National Security or of Vital Interest to the Public - or whatever assenine excuse the ruling class dreams up at the moment.

I am no longer holding my breath for what is considered "legal or illegal" anymore.  It's really just a matter of perspective, timing, and influence.

That is my (pessimistic) view as well and why I asked the question.
If they are willing to rob us why will they stop where they did under FDR?
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 8:59:37 AM EDT
[#11]
So what is easier to requisition - gold that you own in a federal depository or gold that you tangibly own in your personal possession?
The government is welcome to come to my home or my bank to try and forcibly remove it from my ownership, but ill take the ability of me and my guns to defend it versus employees at a federally-owned location.

It isn't rocket science here. And this is on top of it being harder simply through our laws. Typical gold could be a cake walk for them to obtain so I'll watch for it to go first and pull my gold out of a deposit box before they can make that move.
Link Posted: 10/9/2009 7:36:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is my (pessimistic) view as well and why I asked the question.
If they are willing to rob us why will they stop where they did under FDR?

Precisely.
And who says the government will stop with gold?

What if the government decides that a national emergency justifies the confiscation of small arms ammunition?  What if they want to confiscate ARs?  Or confiscate any and all firearms?  What if they want to take all your extra food and redistribute it to the "Needy"?  What if they want to just ship you off to a detention camp?  What if they want your LIFE?

At WHAT Point Are You Willing To Defend What's YOURS!!!???

IS THERE ANY POINT AT WHICH YOU WILL DEFEND WHAT'S YOURS!?

Link Posted: 10/11/2009 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I was discussing the gold in the sense that the government may need more to back our currency because of debt and increased spending.
But I do not think those things you mention are completely impossible. I just wasn't taking the situation in the context as far as near complete federal anarchy.
Link Posted: 10/12/2009 1:39:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was discussing the gold in the sense that the government may need more to back our currency because of debt and increased spending.
But I do not think those things you mention are completely impossible. I just wasn't taking the situation in the context as far as near complete federal anarchy.

The US dollar hasn't been backed by gold since 1971.  Why start now? LOL!
Link Posted: 10/12/2009 9:35:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Gold is roaring today.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:32:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Nov 03, 2009 14:28 NY Time

Bid/Ask 1086.40 - 1087.40
Low/High 1043.70 - 1089.10

Change +26.80   +2.53%
30daychg +84.10   +8.39%
1yearchg +362.70   +50.12%
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top