Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2009 7:11:42 PM EDT
Briskette heard something about incorporating a family as a nonprofit to spread out or reduce tax liabilities, specifically with regard to deducting educational expenses for school-age children.

Is her tinfoil on too tight?  I would assume lots of legal/accounting/financial help would be needed, if it's even feasible.
We do not operate anything remotely resembling a business; I am employed by a separate company, and that's more than enough work.

Briskette asked me nicely, so I'm also asking nicely: can anyone offer some advice suggestions regarding the feasibility of this, and where to start?

Thanks much.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:52:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Tinfoil hat (a big one).  Sounds like someone is angling for a tax dodge.

Non profits are governed by the IRS.  Tons of paperwork to fill out.  In order for an entity to be a non-profit, it has to have as its primary purpose one of the items listed under 501(c) of the code.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:40:28 AM EDT
[#2]
If it worked don't you think every tax attorney would have their cleints do it?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you know what incorporating does? It creates an entitiy. Guess what, you already are an entitiy. So see what Tax provisions work best for your entitiy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top