Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2022 6:26:25 PM EDT
What's the scoop with EV stocks? Are they worth getting into or a waste of time?
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 7:28:11 PM EDT
[#1]
China being China is hurting EVs.  Most EVs are barely producing cars in the first place and have cut expected deliveries.  Some EV companies are not honoring pre-order prices which is also a bad sign.  Not dead by any means, but there are a lot of macro factors tamping them down.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 7:55:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Rivian (RIVN) is probably the best one if you are looking for a throw of the dice (in my opinion).

- currently at 25 from a high of 128
- actually have a product (R1T) that is actually being produced that you can actually buy (better than most of the EV stocks/SPACs)
- coverage of the trucks has been very positive. it genuinely looks like a really nice product
- they also have a deal with amazon for delivery vans

That being said there seems to be  a reasonable chance that they will go bankrupt still.
Elon said scaling up production was the hardest part about building Tesla - and that is where Rivian is at right now.
They are also not currently profitable (afaik)

The real best EV stock is probably.. Ford .. LOL
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 5:02:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I was thinking long term, within the next few years or so I think we'll see more EV.
I'm also looking into mining stocks for nickel or lithium.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:30:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Aridcat is right, the car makers with the infrastructure in place will probably end up doing the best.  If you mean the best pure EV besides Tesla, than that's a different story.  I'm an investor in Polestar.  They're merging with GGPI(SPAC) to become ticker name PSNY possibly this week.  The vote is tomorrow.  They have a 65k car deal with Hertz, already delivering according to expectations.  They will be making their cars in The United States.  They also have 3 new cars coming out, two of which are SUVs.  Type Polestar into Google News for some good articles.  Lots of news this week.  This is not advise, just something I'm dabbling in and I have a horrible stock picking record.

On the mining play, Mark Moss posted a video yesterday on a mining play.  Look up Mark Moss Commodity Super Cycle.  I added his pick to my watch list, but I'm not going to buy because I know zero about mining and it's on the OTC Market.  Again, not advise.  Just watching for fun.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 4:27:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Great, thank you
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 6:34:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Rivian (RIVN) is probably the best one if you are looking for a throw of the dice (in my opinion).

- currently at 25 from a high of 128
- actually have a product (R1T) that is actually being produced that you can actually buy (better than most of the EV stocks/SPACs)
- coverage of the trucks has been very positive. it genuinely looks like a really nice product
- they also have a deal with amazon for delivery vans

That being said there seems to be  a reasonable chance that they will go bankrupt still.
Elon said scaling up production was the hardest part about building Tesla - and that is where Rivian is at right now.
They are also not currently profitable (afaik)

The real best EV stock is probably.. Ford .. LOL
View Quote

Agree with Ford (assuming you believe EV's are the future). I work for a supplier and Ford is going all in in the next few years. Think all electric Maverick, Bronco, and of course expanding the F series and Mustang EV lineup. Plus some smaller Ford China EVs that will be exported to here and elsewhere since people are demanding smaller affordable vehicles again.

As a side note I used to work for a Honda supplier and Ford is much more anal about QC. They send in a whole crew of colossal pricks for the slightest screwup and they don't leave (book hotels if needed) until the engineers put into action a plan to assure it never happens again. Then they keep showing up at random times unannounced (even night shift) and march right in to the problem area to make sure you are still following procedure and didn't backslide. These new startups will get destroyed if they plan on taking on a 120 yr. old Goliath and don't have similar QC.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 5:47:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Agree with Ford (assuming you believe EV's are the future). I work for a supplier and Ford is going all in in the next few years. Think all electric Maverick, Bronco, and of course expanding the F series and Mustang EV lineup. Plus some smaller Ford China EVs that will be exported to here and elsewhere since people are demanding smaller affordable vehicles again.

As a side note I used to work for a Honda supplier and Ford is much more anal about QC. They send in a whole crew of colossal pricks for the slightest screwup and they don't leave (book hotels if needed) until the engineers put into action a plan to assure it never happens again. Then they keep showing up at random times unannounced (even night shift) and march right in to the problem area to make sure you are still following procedure and didn't backslide. These new startups will get destroyed if they plan on taking on a 120 yr. old Goliath and don't have similar QC.
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 1:45:34 PM EDT
[#8]
A little late to the talks but Ford has a huge investment Rivian. Ford does not control Rivian on paper and Rivian is negligible to Ford's own stock but I'm sure there will be influence.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 4:21:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Still holding TSLA. Around $16K. Up about $1,000 since yesterday. It's a very small part of my portfolio, as most are indeed funds and ETFs.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 11:54:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Still holding TSLA. Around $16K. Up about $1,000 since yesterday. It's a very small part of my portfolio, as most are indeed funds and ETFs.
View Quote

Consider owning stocks that produce inputs for EV's.  Batteries need inputs like lithium.  Lithium isn't too bad to own since high quality batteries find their way into most electronics and of course electric vehicles.  

Check out Albemarle (ALB).  They are the biggest lithium player in the states and plan on getting bigger.  If EV's become the norm, Albemarle should do well.  

Albemarle plans major new lithium processing plant
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top