Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2020 6:44:08 PM EDT
I initially invested my Roth in one of Vanguard’s target retirement date funds.

I have about 10k to buy more funds with and I’m wondering who else with a Vanguard IRA may be using something other than one of their “target” funds and why?
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 7:11:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Honestly if you arent too sophisticated in investing that's a pretty good place to stay.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#2]
The only thing I don't like about Vanguard's Target Date Retirement Funds is the International Exposure. Otherwise, its a great fund.

If you wanted to roll your own, then buy VTSAX & VBTLX and allocate according to your risk tolerance (i.e. 80/20, 70/30, 60/40). You will have to manually perform the quarterly re-balancing; but that's not a time consuming endeavor.

Accountant
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 8:09:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Honestly if you arent too sophisticated in investing that's a pretty good place to stay.
View Quote

I'm wondering if I need to be more sophisticated which is why I'm asking. I feel like this is something I should have been paying closer attention to years ago.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 8:10:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The only thing I don't like about Vanguard's Target Date Retirement Funds is the International Exposure. Otherwise, its a great fund.

If you wanted to roll your own, then buy VTSAX & VBTLX and allocate according to your risk tolerance (i.e. 80/20, 70/30, 60/40). You will have to manually perform the quarterly re-balancing; but that's not a time consuming endeavor.

Accountant
View Quote

And that's what gave rise to the question. I had never really looked at the make-up of my fund, and I wasn't sure how I felt about the international stock component.

I've had my eye on VTSAX. I'll check out VBTLX.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 10:59:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm wondering if I need to be more sophisticated which is why I'm asking. I feel like this is something I should have been paying closer attention to years ago.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s a funny thing, too much tinkering and being “sophisticated” gives you a not insignificant chance of underperforming the simple target fund you left.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 12:22:20 AM EDT
[#6]
It's been a few years but the only downside I really heard about regarding the Vanguard and Fidelity target retirement funds is that the investments were a bit on the conservative side, especially if you have a long life expectancy.  So, the recommendation was that if you were planning to retire in 2040, either invest in the 2050 fund or have some other retirement investments in stocks with more risk/potential reward.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 9:35:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's been a few years but the only downside I really heard about regarding the Vanguard and Fidelity target retirement funds is that the investments were a bit on the conservative side, especially if you have a long life expectancy.  So, the recommendation was that if you were planning to retire in 2040, either invest in the 2050 fund or have some other retirement investments in stocks with more risk/potential reward.
View Quote

That’s what I do with a portion of my fund picks, use one that’s about 10 years later than I really plan to retire. You can look at past performance of the various year selections and the later ones tend to perform better. I’m not with Vanguard but I expect they are similar.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 11:28:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, I looked at the 2060 and 2065 target funds. The 2060 has a share price similar to the fund I'm in now - VFFVX - but the 2065 target fund has a share price of something like $10. I have 11k between last year's contributions and this year's contributions sitting in cash (just moved it in last month) so I figured to make it worth it, I need to throw it all behind the existing fund or put it all into a new target fund.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 11:28:55 AM EDT
[#9]
My 3-fund lazy portfolio is a mix of:

VTI (Vanguard Total Market Index ETF, VOO is their S&P500 Index ETF and would be a fine substitute)
VXUS (Vanguard Total International Stock Index ETF)
BND (Vanguard Total Bond Market ETF)

Simply adjust your portfolio allocation based on your risk/volatility profile.

For instance, 85/10/5 would be aggressive... with most invested in US equities, limited direct international exposure, and very little in bonds.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Lazy_portfolios

If you don't want much weight on international, then a simple aggressive 90/10 split of VTI (or VOO) and BND is fine.

VTSAX/VBTLX would be the mutual fund equivalent of VTI/BND.

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:36:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

VTI (Vanguard Total Market Index ETF, VOO is their S&P500 Index ETF and would be a fine substitute)

For instance, 85/10/5 would be aggressive... with most invested in US equities, limited direct international exposure, and very little in bonds.

If you don't want much weight on international, then a simple aggressive 90/10 split of VTI (or VOO) and BND is fine.

View Quote

I was looking at the 2035 Target Retirement fund (VTTHX) as an alternative to reinvesting in the 2055 (VFFVX), but I'll be sure to take a look at those. Market is closed tomorrow and through the weekend so I've got a little time to read. We'll see what next week brings.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I was looking at the 2035 Target Retirement fund (VTTHX) as an alternative to reinvesting in the 2055 (VFFVX), but I'll be sure to take a look at those. Market is closed tomorrow and through the weekend so I've got a little time to read. We'll see what next week brings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be odd.... as those two funds are identical, with the only difference being the ratio of bonds to intl to equities...... unless you just want to invest in a slightly more conservative set of funds?

What are you wanting to do?  Do you want aggressive investing, or less aggressive?  How long before you want access to the funds?
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:33:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That would be odd.... as those two funds are identical, with the only difference being the ratio of bonds to intl to equities...... unless you just want to invest in a slightly more conservative set of funds?

https://i.postimg.cc/kgLfm4SQ/screenshot-238.pnghttps://i.postimg.cc/c42QKzJZ/screenshot-238.png

What are you wanting to do?  Do you want aggressive investing, or less aggressive?  How long before you want access to the funds?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/kgLfm4SQ/screenshot-238.pnghttps://i.postimg.cc/c42QKzJZ/screenshot-238.png

I guess I was thinking the lower cost per share buys me more shares, but I guess the fund I’m currently in is the most aggressive. It probably makes sense to just buy more shares of it.

Unless I just throw cash behind a non-target date retirement fund, of course, which is always an option.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:59:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Cost per share is truly meaningless.  You just invest in a fund.  Never pay attention to cost per share of the fund (NAV).  Asset allocation is everything.  

Based on what you ate saying, I would stick with the fund you are currently in until you read up on basic investing.  I recommend the Bogleheads guide to investing as a start.  It’s a quick read.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top