Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2009 4:32:07 PM EDT
Hi I have a guy who wants to buy a gun from me while he is deployed. He wants to send me money via western union.

I am a little learry of this. Can a service man in Afganistan send a postal money order or some other type of payment. I am sure people still pay their homes and bills while away.

How can I take care of this person serving his country while at the same time keeping the transaction on the up and up.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 4:57:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Scam.  Overseas buyer + Western Union = scam 100% of the time.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 5:02:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree.  I would be very cautious about it.

How does he expect to get the gun?  It would be illegal to ship it out of the country, and no FFL will hold it for him until he gets back.  

I wouldn't do it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Tell him you will keep the gun for 60 days after reciept of the WU MG and only release it after that date with it going to a FFL only.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Straw purchase = BAD IDEA
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#5]
service members overseas do have access to WU and other services. I still wouldn't trust him unless he is willing to do an EBT/EFT. I would pop smoke and break contact if he insists on western union
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 5:24:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I know for the longest time while I was in Baghdad the post offices there would not and could not do money orders.  There was a western union counter at the big PX though.  I'd simply ask for paypal and split the 3% fee.  I bought a few guns while I was in Iraq and I'm glad I had a couple of understanding FFLs who held them for me until my return to CONUS.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 5:28:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Be very careful with this one. I am not saying it couldn't be legit but I am going to say that it probably is not.

I am an LEO and I have taken a few reports of this exact same scam being used on folks trying to sell cars with Craigslist.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 5:30:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Be very careful with this one. I am not saying it couldn't be legit but I am going to say that it probably is not.

I am an LEO and I have taken a few reports of this exact same scam being used on folks trying to sell cars with Craigslist.

How do you scam with western union?  The money, once sent, is nonrecoverable by the sender, correct?
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How do you scam with western union?  The money, once sent, is nonrecoverable by the sender, correct?

Sorry, evidently I am too dumb for reading comprehension today. For some reason I read the OP's post and thought MoneyGram instead of Western Union.

Most of the scams I have seen involve fake MoneyGram's. The buyer and seller agree on a price then the service man "accidentally" gets the money order for more than the transaction price and asks the seller to send the remaining money back to him. The seller is then contacted by his bank a few days later and informed that the money order was a fake and he is liable for the money that he withdrew. It works so well because no one wants to question the motives or integrity of a "deployed serviceman".

Link Posted: 9/9/2009 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't see a problem with this.  

The money is sent via Western Union which is pretty secure.

Send the rifle to his FFL, you can validate the FFL online.

What is the problem again?

If you have his name, rank and unit one of us here can validate his unit and him.

More than likely there is a fellow ARFCOmmer probably deployed with him.

Max
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Just be careful.

You can get scammed by Western Union and even Postal Money Orders; it has happened before where documents from closed accounts that should have been destroyed ended up in nefarious hands.  Try cashing one of those when they go to a closed account, you will be out of luck.

I have a relative who is out several hundred dollars from a PO money order received in a dog sale, now he has nothing but a police report to show for himself.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 11:24:59 AM EDT
[#12]
If he has USAA, he can send you a check through the website and then you cash it and wait for it to clear.  I have been sending checks to my parents, brother, and storage unit the whole time i have been here with no problems.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:55:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If he has USAA, he can send you a check through the website and then you cash it and wait for it to clear.  I have been sending checks to my parents, brother, and storage unit the whole time i have been here with no problems.

+1

its called a USAA official bank check.  I've done it many times.  The cash is taken out the bank account before the check is sent out so there is no way for the check to bounce.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I just used a check from my account to buy a few items for my bike. Its probably the only secure way I'd ever take orders from overseas. You can't fake it and disputing is a bit tougher than a cash or credit card purchase of a money order.

I'm take the check, verify funds at the bank and then cash it. Then wait two weeks then ship the item in question.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 7:46:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Having done this, I'll sum it up in 2 words.
Online.
Banking.

I bought firearms and accessories while I was deployed.  Firearms still had to be picked up thru an FFL.  Lucky for me, I had a good one that didn't mind holding onto stuff for a few months for me.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 3:55:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I agree.  I would be very cautious about it.

How does he expect to get the gun?  It would be illegal to ship it out of the country, and no FFL will hold it for him until he gets back.

I wouldn't do it.

fucking bullshit. I know plenty of FFLs that would hold a rifle for me, hell some even did. What is the name if your store so I know never to buy from you
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 5:48:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I've bought a couple things that had to go to my dealer and the transaction has been trouble free.  I've used my CC and paypal for the guns and parts I've bought this year.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 2:32:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Sweet I got my own thread. kind of a good thing and bad thing from the looks of it.

I am the said person that is buying the firearm... well parts kit. Im not a scammer I just I wasn't entirely sure on how to complete the transaction. Ive never purchased anything online from a private party while deployed before. especially something as expensive as this.
I go by Lucky on the sigarm556 forums and several of the members can vouch for me being legit. The deal was completed with paypal.

Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

its called a USAA official bank check.  I've done it many times.  The cash is taken out the bank account before the check is sent out so there is no way for the check to bounce.

Ill have to remember this next time.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 2:39:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sweet I got my own thread. kind of a good thing and bad thing from the looks of it.

I am the said person that is buying the firearm... well parts kit. Im not a scammer I just I wasn't entirely sure on how to complete the transaction. Ive never purchased anything online from a private party while deployed before. especially something as expensive as this.
I go by Lucky on the sigarm556 forums and several of the members can vouch for me being legit. The deal was completed with paypal.

Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I'm glad everything worked out for you.  I've bought damn near as many guns while stationed/deployed overseas as in person.  Thank God for the internet or my collection would suck.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 2:42:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I'm glad everything worked out for you.  I've bought damn near as many guns while stationed/deployed overseas as in person.  Thank God for the internet or my collection would suck.  

good to see a fellow weapons troop too. ever work at hurburt field?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 2:45:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
good to see a fellow weapons troop too. ever work at hurburt field?

Not a weapons guy, 2A573B.  Been to Hurby for training, but never stationed down there.  Nice place though.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 2:53:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Sorry I see the bombs and missle on the Maint. badge and I instantly think weapons lol.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:52:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I know for the longest time while I was in Baghdad the post offices there would not and could not do money orders.  There was a western union counter at the big PX though.  I'd simply ask for paypal and split the 3% fee.  I bought a few guns while I was in Iraq and I'm glad I had a couple of understanding FFLs who held them for me until my return to CONUS.

Just came through there last month and there is still a HUGE line at the WU counter inside the big PX
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:34:22 AM EDT
[#24]
josh556,

I'm at hurby, hate the range on base and go to al to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:27:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
josh556,

I'm at hurby, hate the range on base and go to al to shoot.

Yeah Im kinda sad I spent the 60 bucks to join that. I never go there. Im usually at shoal river or if I can remember how to get to it a range up in alabama.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top