Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 10:07:53 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I came back from OIF1 in April, 2004 (infantry medic).  Anyone up near Kalsu?  

Question:  I'm wondering what tactical light is being issued under the Rapid Fielding Initiative - My guys heading back to Afganistan right now are getting Surefires with IR filters, but what model?  6V or 9V - output?  Not a big deal, but I'm curious to hear what improvements have been made since I was there.  I also want to throw one on my personal LE6920.  

In any case, thanks and take care.

PS Iraqi kids like PEZ
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:34:05 PM EDT
[#1]
When I went thru RFI we got M68s but only 10 of them. No surefures either. I tried to order some thru supply but they never came in.

Maybe it was the fact that I am in a Maintenance Company
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
When I went thru RFI we got M68s but only 10 of them. No surefures either. I tried to order some thru supply but they never came in.

Maybe it was the fact that I am in a Maintenance Company

Thanks.  Do you happen to remember what Surefire model was available through the RFI?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:19:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Not 100% on this but I think its the M95 series if you are talking about weapon lights, and those did come with IR filters.  I heard from one of my buddies who's going back that they are supposed to get G2's in their personal RFI (the weapon lights are issued to the CO or something like that)
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:04:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Not 100% on this but I think its the M95 series if you are talking about weapon lights, and those did come with IR filters.  I heard from one of my buddies who's going back that they are supposed to get G2's in their personal RFI (the weapon lights are issued to the CO or something like that)

I have seen more M95 series lights than any other, I suppose; but it seems that M96s have become common, as well.  I was wondering whether or not they were shifting issue, but from another thread, it looks as though there may be several weapon lights issued.  It seems, though, that the M95 and M96 are the most common.  Thanks for the response.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:33:20 AM EDT
[#5]
We have m 900's. They replaced g2's on the rifles in little screw on mounts.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:41:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
We have m 900's. They replaced g2's on the rifles in little screw on mounts.

Good to know, thanks.  What color LEDs nav lights do your M900s use?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:29:22 PM EDT
[#7]
We didn't receive Surefires through RFI, but our unit did a mass purchase order while we were in Iraq, and we received them about halfway through.  I can't tell you what model it is (I have the light, but the box is somewhere else...), although I think maybe it's an M96 - Surefire's website is NOT very user-friendly for navigating through.  When I finally found pictures of the weapon lights, they all have double thumb screws for the rail mounting clamp, whereas mine has a single thumb screw.  None of the lights look like mine anyway.

This might not be very helpful, but just be aware that you might not get them through RFI and may have to put a bug in the S4's ear to order them in advance.

Dave
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:37:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Our m900's have ir led's on them.  Our company issued them to us.   I have seen plenty of of 95 and 96 series around country.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:47:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
We didn't receive Surefires through RFI, but our unit did a mass purchase order while we were in Iraq, and we received them about halfway through.  I can't tell you what model it is (I have the light, but the box is somewhere else...), although I think maybe it's an M96 - Surefire's website is NOT very user-friendly for navigating through.  When I finally found pictures of the weapon lights, they all have double thumb screws for the rail mounting clamp, whereas mine has a single thumb screw.  None of the lights look like mine anyway.

This might not be very helpful, but just be aware that you might not get them through RFI and may have to put a bug in the S4's ear to order them in advance.

Dave

Thanks, Dave.  Sounds like the M96 is what's being issued to my guys right now.  I've been out of the unit since last spring, though, so I haven't seen them myself.  In any case, it looks like they've got the hookup on just about everything right now.  I've been mulling it over for my personal weapon system and it is pretty much a toss-up between the M96 and the M900.  In any case, good job!  How's Carson these days?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Our m900's have ir led's on them.  Our company issued them to us.   I have seen plenty of of 95 and 96 series around country.

Thanks, 45Boy.  I've been trying to decide between visible light and IR, what do you think of the IR?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:48:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I think the ir leds are pretty much worthless. Through a 14 you really can't tell a difference.  If you are a 91W, I would also carry something with a blue filter.  That blue really makes blood visible, veins or exposed. As you already have been there done that Doc, you probably already have this covered.

I have an m900 with ir leds sitting in the box back home, it is sitting in the box cause I have 3-4 95 and 96 series lights and prefer them.  I like a vert grip and the use of my thumb when I want to activate a light. I have an m975 I took on trade and have never used. If you want to light up the night, that is surefire that will do it.

Its all personal preference and in my opinion, funds also play a large part.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:23:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I think the ir leds are pretty much worthless. Through a 14 you really can't tell a difference.  If you are a 91W, I would also carry something with a blue filter.  That blue really makes blood visible, veins or exposed. As you already have been there done that Doc, you probably already have this covered.

I have an m900 with ir leds sitting in the box back home, it is sitting in the box cause I have 3-4 95 and 96 series lights and prefer them.  I like a vert grip and the use of my thumb when I want to activate a light. I have an m975 I took on trade and have never used. If you want to light up the night, that is surefire that will do it.

Its all personal preference and in my opinion, funds also play a large part.

Thanks for the feedback - When I spoke to the Surefire military/contractor rep, he advised against the IR lights, as well; so between the two of you, and the fact that my PVS-14s and their own IR setting have been enough for me, I'll steer clear of the IR version.  

You're definitely right about the blue light being useful, and I do keep blue light sources handy, but I doubt I'll ever use my weapon light to treat a patient...  The Surefire rep suggests white leds over red/IR/blue, due to the fact that it is a common light color, which doesn't necessarily single you out as a tactical element from a distance - the white light may be coming from any number of sources.  

The M900 has had many positive reviews from military applications, despite its weight of 20oz, but the M95/M96/M97s seem to have many positive features, as well.  

In any case, I appreciate it.  Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top