Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 7:08:52 PM EDT
I am getting ready for my second deployment - the first was to the balkans...this one will be warmer.  Any  "must have's" of anything - weapon accesories, TA50 type stuff, clothing anything that you guys in the sand or having been there can suggest that I can get to my guys

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:59:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't really think of much TA50.  I was issued pretty much everything I needed.  I got some mag pouches for my armor that are a lot better than using the LBE, but recently we were all issued new ones so we are all the same.  Woodland camo of all things too.hinking.gif

As far as your weapon, depending if you know what you will be doing, and if you're using a 16 or M4, get a mag pouch for the stock.  The only ones we could get over here at first were cheap ones that weren't built very good.  I bought mine before I came over and got a good one.  3point slings are pretty useful too.  My unit got us some.

A scope, bipod, tac-light might be useful too.  I brought a 1.5-5 leupold for my A2, and an accesory rail that bolts onto my handguard for my M6 laser/ light combo.  Also a mag clip to attach 2 of them side by side so the first reload is quick.  I haven't really needed all that yet, but I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Last time I was here in 03 though I had a 3-9 Simmons and had the crosshairs on people several times while on guard duty in the top of our building making sure they pulled a gas can out of their trunk and not an RPG.

As far as clothes.  The 'under armor' shirts at the clothing sales work pretty good in the heat.  At $20 a shirt though they get expensive.  A couple people I know bought 1 or 2 and ended up buying one for everyday of the week.

I can't think of much off the top of my head at the moment except to recomend water-proof camera/laptop cases because the talcum-powder like dust will work it's way over time through zippers.  And throw some cans of compressed air into your footlockers.  They work good for laptops and weapons (as long as there's no oil on the bolt).  That Miltec seems to work pretty decent
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:16:11 PM EDT
[#2]
If you will be spending a lot of time mounted, drop leg mag pouches are the shit. I keep 4 mags on my right thigh (left handed firer) and 2 on my IBA, it is a much more natural place to have mags and grab them fast, and it keeps excess crap off your chest.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:02:35 PM EDT
[#3]
If their idea of issue is those shitty dust goggles, you would probably need to get a pair or two (high theft item) of better dust goggles (Oakley SIs' kick ass). Mabe something to keep that pesky dust off of you (bandana or something like it). Oh yeah, definitly bring something to do, if your bored with everything there is to do on the installation it's "hard time".
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:09:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I would bring plenty of TW-25B. I use my OTIS cleaning kit every day.

A pair of Oakley M-frames.

A good tac-light.

A good surefire.

A good pair of boots.

Depending on your mission/job an EO-Tech or an ACOG. They are the most sought after sights here.

A good digi-cam.

Plenty of good shooting gloves. I brought a couple pair of the hail storms and a couple pair of the nomex. These people are filthy. Their cars and houses are filthy. You need some good gloves.

If your gonna be on the street alot, your gonna be just like a cop. Almost everyone of us carries an asp and cuffs. Flex cuffs are good but hard cuffs go on/come off alot eisier. I carry both. You might want to carry an impact device also. Both of my team leaders carry ASPs. I carry a SAP.

A good knife. I carry a Strider on my vest and an Emerson in my pocket.

There are about a million other things I can think of but these are the things I use every single day.

Dont forget your comfort items. A laptop is indespensable here.
Take care and good luck with your mission.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top