Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2005 4:23:50 PM EDT
Question about personal Internet....
Im headed to Marez later this month. Ive heard that you can buy internet from haji but the quality is low and the price is high and Ive also heard that personal internet is not authorized.

Can anybody up north give me a heads up on internet service?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:17:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about up north or on any other area, but when some of our guys looked into getting a satellite internet setup.  I want to say it was going to be over two thousand dollars initially and then a monthly fee and and there was going to be limited bandwidth so you could only put a couple of folks on it without it dragging.  They changed their minds pretty quick.  

You can get satellite TV with a Hajji box (read lots of codes) pretty cheap but most channels still weren't in English.    
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:34:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got over a years experiance with OrbitSat. As I recall it's $2800 up front for the equipment + four month subscription. After that it's about $1400 for four months service. Unlimited bandwidth/usage. That's for the "advertised" 256Kup/512Kdown package. You'll probably get closer to 60Kup/400down. Split it up between a few guys, four people surfing the web at once and it doesn't run too slow.

It depends on your command wether or not you can have it.

Side note - "haji" just means old man in Arabic. Most of the guys I know who've spent a long time in country consider a dumb phrase. YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:59:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Side note - "haji" just means old man in Arabic. Most of the guys I know who've spent a long time in country consider a dumb phrase. YMMV.

I won't deny that; I've been here over a year and most folks just refer to the locals as hajjis, locals, or LNs and the bazzaar as the "Haji mart".  I generally refer to them as Iraqis or LNs (local nationals) and the bad guys as "bad guys" instead of calling them all hajis.  I have to admit that I have never heard anyone here call them "ragheads", "cameljockies", or some of the other stuff you hear in the States.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:57:08 AM EDT
[#4]
We have about 16 guys here that have internet, hooked ourselves up on a trip to a place up near the Turkish border, it costs a lot though.  Each of us put up $80 for our own personal wire drop.  

It's better than nothing, which is what we had before.

ETA: I don't live on Marez, I don't know what rules they have in place at your unit.  I just don't want to give you the wrong impression and have you gettin' yourself in trouble.

I'd wait and see what's available, maybe you'd be happy with the availability of the MWR drops they have over there.  Wait and see, if you don't like what you have... well, exercise what initiative you see fit.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:57:21 AM EDT
[#5]
My bro-in-law, a former Army reservist was stationed at FOB Gabe, near Baquoba, IIRC and one of his crew members was a computer geek.  They pooled their money and got a wireless setup for their barracks arrangement.  Each of the people who chipped in had internet access while on their base.  Each had a laptop.  I'm not sure if it was satellite or not, but we were in regular email comms with him.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:01:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I am on one now. Here they run about $8,000 to buy (shipping is high and only one company is operating here, and a larger more powerfull setup is required to hit the satellite from here) and we arre paying $552 a month for 512down/256 up. With 10 people on it goes fairly well so long as you limit file sharing to 1 download at a time and no uploads.

We bought ours form the unit replaced, and it will be for sale around March if anyoen coming this way wants one.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:02:30 AM EDT
[#7]
BTW, "Hadji" means pilgrim, it is a title reserved for those who have made the pilgrimage to Mecca.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:06:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I am at Camp Liberty and we got haji net setup, we had 53 poeple or so and with 3 systems, it cost us about $300. We have to pay $64 every 3 months for it. Should be upand running monday, Haji guy got pissed at the old satilites that is company gave us so he went and got new ones for us to use since we spent a lot of money.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:34:35 PM EDT
[#9]
were about to buy the satalite net from a unit were replaceing here at Arfjan. They told us the system cost 15g + about 3000 every 3 months. Ive heard they only paid 6 grand then 10grand, What sounds reasonable. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:04:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Well the internet service aint bad here in Kuwait. The cyber zone service is 5 bucks an hour. MWR is ok to but there is usually a wait and they only give you 30 minutes a session.

Guys bought wireless routers in the states in hopes that they will be able to use them up north. We'll see I guess.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top