BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2006 3:21:52 PM EDT
First post season in 19 years. Go tigers
Link Posted: 9/27/2006 7:48:36 PM EDT
[#1]
<-----

We really have to hold on to this division lead. How cool would that be to go from being one game away from a tie for the league record for losses two years ago, to winning the division!

Even if they just get the wild card, I'm still happy about it. Post season baseball is back in the D no matter what now!!!!

GO TIGERS!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2006 6:03:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Bottom 8 and the Super Twinks are down 1- 0. You guys dodged another bullet tonight!
Link Posted: 9/29/2006 4:02:53 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Bottom 8 and the Super Twinks are down 1- 0. You guys dodged another bullet tonight!

Not so sure they did

Twins win in 10 and TIED for the division lead.
Link Posted: 10/7/2006 5:57:26 PM EDT
[#4]
The Tigers win!! The Tigers win!!!

Tigers -8
Yankees-3

Tigers win series 3-1

Tigers advance to the ALCS!!!!!

Link Posted: 10/10/2006 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#5]
GO TIGERS!
Link Posted: 10/11/2006 9:50:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Go ANYBODY but Oakland.

Tigers win again!
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 1:32:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#8]
How about a "Go Tigers" sig line campaign?
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 7:56:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
How about a "Go Tigers" sig line campaign?

I will if ya buy me a membership!
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 11:31:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah they surprised the shit out of me beating the Yankees. Kenny Rogers pitched a great game and an important one on top of that. Then they come and beat the A'ss two game in Oakland. The Tigers are hooked up and in the zone.
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 4:08:11 PM EDT
[#11]
WORLD  SERIES!!!!!    

Get out the brooms!!!! 4 game sweep of the A's!!!

Link Posted: 10/15/2006 4:12:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I say tigers win four in in a row to win the WS.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 5:29:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks like Detroit is going to plow through the World Series like Germans through Paris.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Tiger fans, Who would you rather play and why? Cards or Mets?

Personally I think we'd have an easier time with the Cards, but eliminating BOTH NY teams in the same playoff would be sweet.

They CAN beat either of the two. I say bring it either way!!
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm thinking the Mets would be easier - don't they only have 4 pitchers?

Just for the record - I was born and raised in Michigan - grew up watching Freehan, Cash, Kaline, Stanley, Horton, Lolich, etc.

I still play in the MSBL.  I'm the catcher for our team and I wear #11 - Freehan's old number.

I'm just so damn happy to see them playing so well.

Link Posted: 10/21/2006 5:52:32 PM EDT
[#16]
St Louis is dominating game 1.

7-1 in the 6th...

I'm surprised.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Complete BS!

The MO ran into Inge on purpose.  That was a very Bush League thing to do.  Legal - yes.  Cheap - absolutely.

I HATE Bush League plays.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 8:02:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Complete BS!

The MO ran into Inge on purpose.  That was a very Bush League thing to do.  Legal - yes.  Cheap - absolutely.

That was complete bullshit!!

He went out of his way to hit Inge. Period.

Either way, their pitching showed up, their bats showed up, and the Tigers stayed home.
A well earned victory for the Cards. Well done.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 12:09:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 1:40:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Complete BS!

Bush league... yep, for Brandon Inge. He tried to sneak over and get into Rolen's path and he got busted. What was Inge doing over there? Backing up the throw? No. Covering 3rd base? No. Heading for the dugout? No. Obstructing Scott Rolen's basepath? Umm.... yup. I watched every replay and it was obvious that Inge positioned himself to be in the way of the baserunner rounding 3rd and heading for home. There was no other reason for him to be where he was. Inge tried to make up for his bad throw by preventing another run from scoring and ended up committing two errors on the play. DOH!

Your suspenders are too tight.

The runner is 'somewhat' obliged to stay in the base path.

Inge was quite out of the base path.

I'm 49, and still play baseball with friends my age - and we talked about this.  We saw it as Inge looked over his shoulder at the runner.  As Inge's post-throw momentum was carrying him outside the base path, he elected to ride the momentum farther outside the third base line - and to what he thought was out of the runner's path.

I rounded third base quite a few times this year, and I never went as far out as that runner did.  And neither did anyone else I know.

But what the heck, the ump saw it as obstruction, so it's a done deal.

And just the opinion of a few old guys who still play hardball.  Softball is for old men.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 7:11:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Just wait until tonight.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 4:47:27 PM EDT
[#22]
The tigers are angry tonight.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 6:41:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Tigers up 3-0 in the 7th...

They look like a different team then last night.

Link Posted: 10/22/2006 8:05:08 PM EDT
[#24]
what was on Roger's hand in the first???

i agree w/ last night that Rolen should have been out on the play at home and it wasn't interference but you tiger's fans need to quit making excuses that he intentionally ran into him....anybody rounding the bases is gonna be in that area.

btw here's the pic of Roger's hand....oh and he washed it off by the 2nd so it didn't really matter and therefore i'm not making excuses but damn it leaves a lot of suspicion on his part.

Link Posted: 10/22/2006 8:11:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

i agree w/ last night that Rolen should have been out on the play at home and it wasn't interference but you tiger's fans need to quit making excuses that he intentionally ran into him....anybody rounding the bases is gonna be in that area.

btw here's the pic of Roger's hand....oh and he washed it off by the 2nd so it didn't really matter and therefore i'm not making excuses but damn it leaves a lot of suspicion on his part.

us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/ad/full.getty-72218924cc035_world_series__9_54_22_pm.jpg

From my earlier post in this thread:

Either way, their pitching showed up, their bats showed up, and the Tigers stayed home.

According to Kenny's post game comments, it was "dirt" on his hand.  I agree it is indeed suspicious, but kinda obvious if he's trying to cheat.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 9:00:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/ad/full.getty-72218924cc035_world_series__9_54_22_pm.jpg

From my earlier post in this thread:

According to Kenny's post game comments, it was "dirt" on his hand.  I agree it is indeed suspicious, but kinda obvious if he's trying to cheat.

ya i dunno if he was cheating or not but once he washed it off it didn't affect his performance at all so like LaRussa said...it's a non issue

now what was cheating was casey IIRC leaning into that pitch that molina caught in the groin.....casey bent down to get hit and made no attempt to steer away from the ball...it wasn't even that inside if he had to lean down for it to hit his frickin elbow lol

oh well...we couldn't convert the runs...plain and simple...and when we could...it was too late

CARDINALS IN 6....i hope
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 9:30:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 4:33:34 AM EDT
[#28]
not to mention rolen is what....6'4" and 240??? that's some weight comin around the bend.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 5:01:43 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Complete BS!

Bush league... yep, for Brandon Inge. He tried to sneak over and get into Rolen's path and he got busted. What was Inge doing over there? Backing up the throw? No. Covering 3rd base? No. Heading for the dugout? No. Obstructing Scott Rolen's basepath? Umm.... yup. I watched every replay and it was obvious that Inge positioned himself to be in the way of the baserunner rounding 3rd and heading for home. There was no other reason for him to be where he was. Inge tried to make up for his bad throw by preventing another run from scoring and ended up committing two errors on the play. DOH!

Your suspenders are too tight.

The runner is 'somewhat' obliged to stay in the base path.

I'm 49, and still play baseball with friends my age - and we talked about this.  We saw it as Inge looked over his shoulder at the runner.  As Inge's post-throw momentum was carrying him outside the base path, he elected to ride the momentum farther outside the third base line - and to what he thought was out of the runner's path.

I rounded third base quite a few times this year, and I never went as far out as that runner did.  And neither did anyone else I know.

And just the opinion of a few old guys who still play hardball.  Softball is for old men.

Maybe you can explain how Inge fielded a grounder about 10' inside the 3rd base bag, then he threw the ball home and his "post-throw momentum" carried him into foul territory between the 3rd base coaches box and home plate.

d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20061022/i/r3014743.jpg

I watched the replay several times. Rolen rounded 3rd base on the same arc before he stepped on the bag and after he stepped on the bag. If he'd altered his path to run into Inge it would have been obvious.

Leyland didn't argue the call, and Inge knew enough to keep his mouth shut.

But, if you're a slow runner who plods along the chalk lines, I can see how you might think Rolen rounded 3rd too wide.

Rolen made a travesty of the game - the collision was intentional.

Believe what you want.

And I’ll keep playing baseball.

Me?  Plod?  I’ll have to tell my teammates that one...

Link Posted: 10/23/2006 5:30:24 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
[The runner is 'somewhat' obliged to stay in the base path.

I think it was unintentional on both sides. Rolen is banged up and didn't play much in the NLCS. The last thing he wants to do is get injured more.

I think Inge was trying to get out of Rolen's way and I think Rolen was going wide to get around Inge. What resulted was an accident. Bush league? No. Unintentional? Yes.

Being 49 and playing baseball has no bearing on this situation.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 8:14:27 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[The runner is 'somewhat' obliged to stay in the base path.

I think it was unintentional on both sides. Rolen is banged up and didn't play much in the NLCS. The last thing he wants to do is get injured more.

I think Inge was trying to get out of Rolen's way and I think Rolen was going wide to get around Inge. What resulted was an accident. Bush league? No. Unintentional? Yes.

Being 49 and playing baseball has no bearing on this situation.

I agree w/ every word you said....and yes playing baseball has nothing to do w/ this debate...you wanna cookie? sorry I'm all out.  

It was unintentional on both parties involved...plain and simple and Rolen should have been called out.  However the bigger issue is w/ Rogers!  I am fully convinced he tried cheating at this moment in time.  Three times he was caught on camera w/ the same substance on his hand in all three postseason games.  We're the only guys who questioned it.  If he did wash it off then it didn't affect his performance and La Russa should have questioned it more than he did.  None the less the umps should have checked it out more if they're going to specifically state it was a "clump of dirt"  I used to pitch (and my story does pertain to this situation) and I was always aware of something on my pitching hand.  Likewise with any other baseball player.  And not to mention I would normally get more dirt on my catching hand b/c of the dirty glove.  And how does one explain the yellowish-brown SHINY!!! substance????  Dirt w/ sweat does not have reflective properties to make it appear like that.  Also why did Roger's keep changing his story about the whole situation?  Why did the MLB just wipe it under the table like nothing happend.

It states specifically in the rule book found HERE

The pitcher shall not --
(a) (1) Bring his pitching hand in contact with his mouth or lips while in the 18 foot circle surrounding the pitching rubber. EXCEPTION: Provided it is agreed to by both managers, the umpire prior to the start of a game played in cold weather, may permit the pitcher to blow on his hand. PENALTY: For violation of this part of this rule the umpires shall immediately call a ball. However, if the pitch is made and a batter reaches first base on a hit, an error, a hit batsman or otherwise, and no other runner is put out before advancing at least one base, the play shall proceed without reference to the violation. Repeated offenders shall be subject to a fine by the league president.
(2) expectorate on the ball, either hand or his glove;
(3) rub the ball on his glove, person or clothing;
(4) apply a foreign substance of any kind to the ball;
(5) deface the ball in any manner; or
(6) deliver a ball defaced in a manner prescribed by Rule 8.02(a)(2) through (5) or what is called the “shine” ball, “spit” ball, “mud” ball or “emery” ball. The pitcher is allowed to rub the ball between his bare hands.
PENALTY: For violation of any part of Rules 8.02(a)(2) through (6):
(a) The pitcher shall be ejected immediately from the game and shall be suspended automatically for 10 games.
(b) If a play follows the violation called by the umpire, the manager of the offense may advise the plate umpire that he elects to accept the play. Such election shall be made immediately at the end of the play. However, if the batter reaches first base on a hit, an error, a base on balls, a hit batsman, or otherwise, and no other runner is put out before advancing at least one base, the play shall proceed without reference to the violation.
(c) Even though the offense elects to take the play, the violation shall be recognized and the penalties in subsection (a) will still be in effect.
(d) The umpire shall be sole judge on whether any portion of this rule has been violated.
Rules 8.02(a)(2) through 8.02(a)(6) Comment: If a pitcher violates either Rule 8.02(a)(2) or Rule 8.02(a)(3) and, in the judgment of the umpire, the pitcher did not intend, by his act, to alter the characteristics of a pitched ball, then the umpire may, in his discretion, warn the pitcher in lieu of applying the penalty set forth for violations of Rules 8.02(a)(2) through 8.02(a)(6). If the pitcher persists in violating either of those Rules, however, the umpire should then apply the penalty.
Rule 8.02(a) Comment: If at any time the ball hits the rosin bag it is in play. In the case of rain or wet field, the umpire may instruct the pitcher to carry the rosin bag in his hip pocket. A pitcher may use the rosin bag for the purpose of applying rosin to his bare hand or hands. Neither the pitcher nor any other player shall dust the ball with the rosin bag; neither shall the pitcher nor any other player be permitted to apply rosin from the bag to his glove or dust any part of his uniform with the rosin bag.
(b) Have on his person, or in his possession, any foreign substance. For such infraction of this section (b) the penalty shall be immediate ejection from the game. In addition, the pitcher shall be suspended automatically for 10 games.
(c) Intentionally delay the game by throwing the ball to players other then the catcher, when the batter is in position, except in an attempt to retire a runner.
PENALTY: If, after warning by the umpire, such delaying action is repeated, the pitcher shall be removed from the game.
(d) Intentionally Pitch at the Batter.
If, in the umpire’s judgment, such a violation occurs, the umpire may elect either to:
1. Expel the pitcher, or the manager and the pitcher, from the game, or
2. may warn the pitcher and the manager of both teams that another such pitch will result in the immediate expulsion of that pitcher (or a replacement) and the manager.
If, in the umpire’s judgment, circumstances warrant, both teams may be officially “warned” prior to the game or at any time during the game.
(League Presidents may take additional action under authority provided in Rule 9.05.)

So the parts in red pretty much state that the ump should have ejected Rogers right there on the spot or at least warned Rogers while telling him to "wash away" the evidence/substance.  Neither was Rogers warned or ejected and now the MLB is doing nothing.....fishy to me.  The parts in blue show the fact that the ump could indeed use discretion and not eject Rogers....but why didn't he (the ump) state in his post game interview that he warned Rogers?  These are the professionals we have umping a very important event in American sports???  Gimme a break!

Either way I see no other way around the fact that Rogers was in fact cheating.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 12:37:41 PM EDT
[#32]
here's some more pix as details unfold

didn't know it was there??...my ass

clump of dirt???...plz

stories conflicting during post game coverage???...yep

first time Rogers has been accused of cheating???...nope

had the same substance on his hand all three games he pitched in the post season and was documented on TV???....yep

i know where i stand in this debate

Link Posted: 10/23/2006 2:28:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 2:57:41 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Umm.. you do know Jeff Weaver cheated, right? He licked his fingers while on the mound. That's illegal. He should have been ejected.

It's not illegal if you wipe it off.

Of course, wiping pine tar off is a bit tougher.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Well done cards.

You showed up to play and the Tigers didn't. Congrats, you earned it.

I'm still proud of my team. They weren't even supposed to come out of the cellar of the central division, let alone make the playoffs.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:57:01 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Well done cards.

I'm still proud of my team. They weren't even supposed to come out of the cellar of the central division, let alone make the playoffs.

Very well done to the Cardinals.  They deserved the win.  I didn't like it, but they deserved it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Well done cards.

Detroit has a lot to be proud of. Im a Cardinal fan but I love baseball. Detroit needs to keep up the momentum of '06 on into the '07 year and work on some basics. Hopefully for y'all Leyland will stick around, he really is a great manager; and hopefully the Detroit fans will continue to give their team the support they need to build up some confidence. The 2006 series was probably a valuable one in that most of the kids on the Tigers hadnt ever been in a postseason before. They can take away a lot of great experience from this for the years ahead. They beat the Yankees which is something they can be real proud of.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
The 2006 series was probably a valuable one in that most of the kids on the Tigers hadnt ever been in a postseason before.

That's my take also - they're all YOUNG, and their best years are ahead.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:29:37 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The 2006 series was probably a valuable one in that most of the kids on the Tigers hadnt ever been in a postseason before.

That's my take also - they're all YOUNG, and their best years are ahead.

Yeah, they will make a run of it again. The only thing they'll have to worry about is Rogers dying of old age.

Most Cardinals have played in the postseason before - the cards have only missed out on postseason play once this decade, and this is their second trip to the WS of those years. Even new Cardinals had come from teams that took them to other postseasons, Eck and Spezio already had rings. That experience under pressure counts for a lot in the fall classic. I doubt Tigers pitchers would have done such a poor fielding job had it been just another June game. I didnt hurt that I think LaRussa is one of the best managers in baseball.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top