Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2008 6:44:14 AM EDT
I just unboxed a HP G60-125NR.  it runs Vista (new to me).  I already downloaded Firefox and AVG.  I uninstalled all the Symntech/Norton stuff.  How should I search and destroy "bloatware" on this new machine?  I need to be a bit careful< I'm the same guy who uninstalled his Realtek driver while trying to get rid of realplayer on my desktop.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 6:54:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Download the drivers from their web site onto a flash drive, download an eval copy of Windows Vista and burn it to DVD.

Restart and startup from the Vista disc, format your main and "recovery" partition and install a new copy. Choose which edition of Vista you have during install, and if auto activation doesn't work, call M$ and they will get it activated for you over the phone.
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 7:04:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I just unboxed a HP G60-125NR.  it runs Vista (new to me).  I already downloaded Firefox and AVG.  I uninstalled all the Symntech/Norton stuff.  How should I search and destroy "bloatware" on this new machine?  I need to be a bit careful< I'm the same guy who uninstalled his Realtek driver while trying to get rid of realplayer on my desktop.  

Thanks!

Start>Run>MSCONFIG>check selective start>click the "startup" tab.  

Uncheck any third party software you don't need at startup.

Start>Run>MSCONFIG>"Services" tab.  In the lower left corner, check "Hide All Microsoft Services"

Now look for any third party crapware you don't need.

How to Use MSCONFIG in Vista

ZM
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 7:07:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 8:01:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
you did good on uninstalling symantec

i don't think you really need to format the pc with a trial version of vista [>:/]  that wil just  cause you more problems down the road.     but you can go through add/remove programs and uninstall the hp software.   that should help.

What do you run for antivirus program ?  My HP is a year old and the symantec renewal this is driving me nuts.
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#5]
AVG is the best I have found.  It is free.  Avast is pretty good, Too.
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 5:58:37 PM EDT
[#6]
ost
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 6:02:57 PM EDT
[#7]
the 2008 and 09 versions of Norton Internet Security are pretty good.  They give you great virus and firewall protection and hardly slow down your computer.  If you read the reviews on the major PC sites, you'll notice that there's not much to bitch about these days about Norton.  a few years ago is a different story
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 10:18:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
the 2008 and 09 versions of Norton Internet Security are pretty good.  They give you great virus and firewall protection and hardly slow down your computer.  If you read the reviews on the major PC sites, you'll notice that there's not much to bitch about these days about Norton.  a few years ago is a different story

In my experience they continue to cause many more problems than they solve.

But different strokes for different folks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top