Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2008 12:44:03 PM EDT
I pretty much always get 3 mbps with Frontiernet DSL Max.

The past couple of days things seemed to be slow so today I ran a speed test.  Multiple speed tests, actually and I'm now getting just 1.2-1.3 mbps.  WTF?!?

Is this something I should call Frontiernet about?  Temporary thing on their end?  Hardware problems?  Something on my end?  

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 12:56:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Shit, now it's below 1 mbps.  What is happening?
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 3:36:45 PM EDT
[#2]
reset all your equipment,  if you still have an issue call your ISP
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 3:52:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
reset all your equipment,  if you still have an issue call your ISP

I did.  They are sending someone out tomorrow to "Check the lines."

Funny thing is that it's fluctuating between 1.2 and 1.5 mbps now.  And once, about an hour ago, for one test only it got 2.8 (about what I normally get).

Edit:  Now it's down to less than 700.  WTH?
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#4]
speedtests aren't that reliable.   go to download.com  for microsoft.com  download a file and report back what both download at.  

Link Posted: 1/22/2008 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
go to download.com  for microsoft.com  download a file and report back what both download at.  

Come again?  What do you want me to d/l?
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#6]
link

download the ie7 setup file,   see what it downloads at
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:15:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
link

download the ie7 setup file,   see what it downloads at

OUCH.

It keeps going down.  Starts off at 95 kbps and down to 82.  THAT IS HORRIBLE and UNACCEPTABLE!!
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:24:32 PM EDT
[#8]
1/3 of what it should be,  i would have to agree
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#9]
does it sound like something that is the ISP or their lines?  Or does it sound like something in my house or my computer.

For what it's worth, my wife's laptop on a wireless network also shows a proportional decrease in internet speeds (it was always somewhat slower, don't know why)
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:35:51 PM EDT
[#10]
hardwire your pc directly to your dsl modem.  if you still get the same speeds you know without a doubt its your isp's problem.   if its regular speed its your router.    

Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
hardwire your pc directly to your dsl modem.  if you still get the same speeds you know without a doubt its your isp's problem.   if its regular speed its your router.    

I have a speedstream 6520 combo modem/router.  How might I go about this?
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#12]
It's not raining or snowing there by chance.  Moisture can get in the lines and cause all sorts of interesting problems.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:01:03 PM EDT
[#13]
ah,   its a modem/ router in one.   its your isp,  give them a shout  
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:06:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
ah,   its a modem/ router in one.   its your isp,  give them a shout  

Thank you my friend.  As I mentioned, they will be coming tomorrow a.m.   Just wanted to kind of have a heads up on what to expect.

There is a box down the street that they sometimes tweek.  The last time the guy messed with it, my speeds increased a little bit.  Maybe they need to fiddle with the box (it is bigger than a breadbox and mounted to the telephone pole.)

ETA:  Just ran the test again.  1.7 mbps (about 1/2 what I normally get).  It is fluctuating like crazy!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top