Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2007 7:55:52 PM EDT
Well, my girlfriend's laptop, to be exact.

When I turn it on, it goes to the Windows startup screen and just stays there.  It won't proceed past that point.  I've tried starting it in "start windows normally" and "last known good configuration", it does the same thing.  It also won't boot up in safe mode.

She wasn't having any problems with it before this.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:25:03 AM EDT
[#1]
being that its not booting into safe mode or normal mode.  If their is data needed i would take it to a local computer repair shop and have them check it out for you.  

if NO data is needed run the recovery cd's that came with the computer when it was purchased.  if you still have issues its time to have it looked at.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 7:29:27 AM EDT
[#2]
My wifes laptop has the exact same problem.  I have tried everything, and now having to reformat it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Well, my girlfriend's laptop, to be exact.

When I turn it on, it goes to the Windows startup screen and just stays there.  It won't proceed past that point.  I've tried starting it in "start windows normally" and "last known good configuration", it does the same thing.  It also won't boot up in safe mode.

She wasn't having any problems with it before this.  Any ideas?

Probably missing a winnt sys32 config file

Answer here
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Best option, as mentioned above, reformat the HD.

In general, if you cannot even get into Safe Mode, then something seriously is "hosed" and the likelihood of fixing it unless you have time and $$$$, are slim.

For example, a professional Data recovery firm/company will probably give you a bill I imagine above $100. Now, if the information on the laptop, is that valuable for you, then by all means check the yellow pages. I would not use a company that wouldn't at least give you a free "analysis", that is tell you if they can even save the information without a fee, or very minor (under $20-30).

Does she have the system restore CD/DVDs??

Depending on when/where she purchsed the laptop, she can try calling the company and pay a nominal fee for restore CDs. This is why I don't like companies putting the operating system restore files on a "hidden" part of the hard drive; if the HD goes KABOOM, you can't very well do a restore??

If she is unable to get system restore CDs, fresh OEM disks of WIndows XP Home (she prolly doesn't need Pro?)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top