Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2006 7:46:54 AM EDT
Well, I have a Dell Dimension 5150, and something is a memory hog. I am using about 70% of the memory, and nothing is actually running except firefox, and yes I know about the 'memory leak' thing.

I have checked it with all apps closed, and it is still using about 70% of available memory.

What gives? My Mac is only using 31%. and with 6 apps open and running, it only goes up to 42% usage.

WTH is windows using so much memory?

And it worse on my laptop.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:57:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:05:03 AM EDT
[#2]
OS=XP Pro SP2 all updated with requiset security upgrades.....
Mem= 512

Processor is a P4 3 GHz
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:13:29 AM EDT
[#3]
And since I'm here anyway, my laptop has an annoying little 'feature' in the start menu that I would like to get rid of:
On the r/h side of the start menu, it has a 'buy toshiba' icon that I would LOVE to get rid of. Any ideas on how to trash it?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:34:44 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
And since I'm here anyway, my laptop has an annoying little 'feature' in the start menu that I would like to get rid of:
On the r/h side of the start menu, it has a 'buy toshiba' icon that I would LOVE to get rid of. Any ideas on how to trash it?

download TweakUI

www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

and go to the "Taskbar and Start Menu" option.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#5]
need more info.

1.  can you take a snap shot of task manager and show us.  
512 is a resonable about of ram.

2.   what antivirus do you have installed, what programs are running in the bottom right hand corner near the time?  

3.    are you low on harddrive space
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:46:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
need more info.

1.  can you take a snap shot of task manager and show us.  
512 is a resonable about of ram.

2.   what antivirus do you have installed, what programs are running in the bottom right hand corner near the time?  

3.    are you low on harddrive space

How do you take a screen shot, and where is the task manager?

I'm a Mac guy, but need to use windows for school...
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:04:52 PM EDT
[#7]
hit prtscn   once you have taskmanager open.   then open windows paint and click edit and then paste.  then save it as a JPG file, not a blasted bmp file.   upload it here  or email it to me if you like.  [email protected]

give me a short email before you send it, so i know its you.  and so i don't delete the attachment  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:16:06 AM EDT
[#8]
For task manager, right click on the bottom toolbar in Windows.  Select Task manager.  Click on the processes tab.  It will show a list of what is running, how much processor time they are using, and how much memory.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top