Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 6:37:11 PM EDT
My Seagate Barracuda 300G (thanks arfcommers for the great advice! ) is up and runnin and all is good. My whole computer is back and runnin 110%, like it used to. I didnt recover a majority of the data on that old one, oh well, I have the drive if I ever need it.

Problem: When I look at My Computer is only shows 278.1 G .

Who stole my other 21.9 G?

And I just noticed now My Computer shows me having a DVD F Drive. Sorry, I dont have a DVD nor an F drive.

I did partition the new one into 100, 100 & 78.1 drives. I hope that was a good thing to do.

Thanks again!

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#1]
It has to do with the way that hard drive manufactuers calculates hard drive size.  They all define 1 gigabyte = 1,000,000,000 bytes as the size instead of the gigabyte = 1,073,741,824 bytes that is really is.  Its called binary vs. decimal sizes.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It has to do with the way that hard drive manufactuers calculates hard drive size.  They all define 1 gigabyte = 1,000,000,000 bytes as the size instead of the gigabyte = 1,073,741,824 bytes that is really is.  Its called binary vs. decimal sizes.

Theives.

So 278.1 is all I'm going to get?

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:05:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Theives.

So 278.1 is all I'm going to get?

Pretty much, yeah.  Sorry dude.  Its been that way since they have been making hard drives.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:09:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Thanks.

Any clue on this? I dont think I screwed that up, but I have no clue what the heck it thinks it see....

Quoted:
And I just noticed now My Computer shows me having a DVD F Drive. Sorry, I dont have a DVD nor an F drive.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:12:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Thanks.

Any clue on this? I dont think I screwed that up, but I have no clue what the heck it thinks it see....

Quoted:

You install any utilites or programs that would put a virtual DVD drive on the system?  Daemon tools, alcohol120%, stuff like that?  I have them on my system, you can mount images of CDs that are stored on the hard drive to them.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You install any utilites or programs that would put a virtual DVD drive on the system?  Daemon tools, alcohol120%, stuff like that?  I have them on my system, you can mount images of CDs that are stored on the hard drive to them.

Ok, now how do I get rid of that stuff. There was a fruitless attempt by me to recover the old stuff on the old drive. Maxtor had a mounted image thingy. It can all go bye bye....

Ill start looking for delete keys now.

Thanks, you solved that riddle.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:31:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, now how do I get rid of that stuff. There was a fruitless attempt by me to recover the old stuff on the old drive. Maxtor had a mounted image thingy. It can all go bye bye....

Ill start looking for delete keys now.

Thanks, you solved that riddle.

Start Menu--->All Programs---->Daemon Tools------>Uninstall
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:36:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Oops, I went into Control Panel -> Remove Applications.

I got rid of some other stuff too!

One day I will get this damn machine just right for surfin the web!

By then it will all be done on your wristwatch.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:37:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oops, I went into Control Panel -> Remove Applications.

I got rid of some other stuff too!

One day I will get this damn machine just right for surfin the web!

By then it will all be done on your wristwatch.

Thanks!

No problem, happy to help
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:38:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:40:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Hey Cav...One other thing you might try: I've had HDs go "bad" for boot from OS type problems
(either hardware or Windows related). However, if yo uinstall the old drive in a USB enclosure or adapter, you can probably recover all your files with a simple drag-and-drop. Just don't try moving applications this way...

I happen to have one of those Cav.....you know where I live!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top