Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 5:26:07 PM EDT
am I missing something?

The highspeed line is going from my cable modem to the WAN port in the router.  I've reset the router many times, gone through the set-up wizard on the IP 192.168.0.1.  And I don't get an internet connection with the computer or anything wireless I use like my PSP but the PSP does pick up the signal.

I'm running XP Pro.

any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

-mark
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:27:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Has router worked before?

Some ISPs have MAC filtering and need mac of router.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:12:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I used it on the DSL I had before and it worked fine.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#3]
There should be an option of "Mac cloning" somewhere on your router's set up page.  Find out the mac address for the pc that used to be the one connected to the DSL modem (you can do "start", "run" and type in ipconfig /all in the dos window, copy the Physical Address of the wireless adapter on that pc.)  Enter that address in the router's mac cloning feature.  

Your ISP expects to talk to your computer which it recognizes by the MAC address on that computer.  When you plugged in your router, it is now talking to a different MAC address, so your ISP won't send any traffic.  By cloning the mac address from your pc to your router, the ISP won't realize it's talking to a router.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:57:40 PM EDT
[#4]
how do I find out the MAC address on this PC?  It's connected directly to the cable modem now, and to work with the wireless, I have to send the PC into the router port 1 and the cable modem into the WAN port.

I'm in the c prompt now, and I ran ipconfig /all and the only thing I see that resembles the MAC address in the wireless wizard is "physical address" is this what I need?

-mark
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:02:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
how do I find out the MAC address on this PC?  It's connected directly to the cable modem now, and to work with the wireless, I have to send the PC into the router port 1 and the cable modem into the WAN port.

I'm in the c prompt now, and I ran ipconfig /all and the only thing I see that resembles the MAC address in the wireless wizard is "physical address" is this what I need?

-mark

Go to the dos command prompt.  You can do this by clicking on the start menu, click on run and type in cmd in the window that pops up.  Click ok, and this will open the dos command prompt.  type in "ipconfig /all" (no quotes) and press enter.  It will display a bunch of information.  You are looking for the row labelled "Physical Address", that is your MAC number.  It will be a set of six 2-digit letters and numbers.  It will look something like 00-01-02-AB-BF-DE
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:03:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

-mark

Yes, in windows, Physical Address = MAC address
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:04:11 PM EDT
[#7]
guardian...you are the man

now for some online SOCOM with my PSP

thanks.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:04:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the D-Link from Mac to Windows XP and go diagnally through two walls...consequently, if I move my receiver 2" to one side the reception goes from excellent to good or not at all...
also, if the plugs are slightly loose they will reduce reception.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:30:19 PM EDT
[#9]
well, I tried many times getting my PSP to work with the wireless, and it wouldn't.  It would establish that the wireless connection is there, and I had for simplicity the WEP encryption turned off.  Upon inspection I noticed, the MAC address was different than the MAC address I entered into the wizard so that the PC would work.  So then I went to the MAC filtering section of the router wizard and decided to manually enter the MAC address of the PSP to be allowed access, what I forgot to do was also add that of the PC so once I said apply the PC could no longer establish a connection to the router.  Tried reseting the router, turning it on and off, and nothing
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:53:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
well, I tried many times getting my PSP to work with the wireless, and it wouldn't.  It would establish that the wireless connection is there, and I had for simplicity the WEP encryption turned off.  Upon inspection I noticed, the MAC address was different than the MAC address I entered into the wizard so that the PC would work.  So then I went to the MAC filtering section of the router wizard and decided to manually enter the MAC address of the PSP to be allowed access, what I forgot to do was also add that of the PC so once I said apply the PC could no longer establish a connection to the router.  Tried reseting the router, turning it on and off, and nothing

Unless Dlink is different, it should not apply the Mac filtering to anything that is connected to it by cable.  If a computer is hooked up to the router by a cat5 cable, it should be able to bypass all security.  If not, then you'll have to reset the router and do it all over again.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:46:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I've tried reseting the router (with the reset button) and nothing.  I turned it off last night, so I'll turn it on when I get back home.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:38:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I've tried reseting the router (with the reset button) and nothing.  I turned it off last night, so I'll turn it on when I get back home.

Hold the reset button down while you plug it in.

ETA: and hold it down for like 30 seconds.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:09:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Will a DSL router even work on a cable signal?  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:41:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Will a DSL router even work on a cable signal?  

yes

they are cable/dsl routers
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top