Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2005 7:02:46 PM EDT

I have folders with many many files of various types. I'd like to make folders to sort the jpg, pdf, wmv, doc, (and so on) into, but how can I move a file type (such as .jpg) in mass?  Doing it manually would take days to click click click...

I remember doing with it DOS commands long ago, but I'm using XP now.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:14:46 PM EDT
[#1]
bring up a command prompt (start -> run enter CMD) or Start -> Accessories -> command prompt

decide where you want your directory, say C:\myfiles\jpegs
so "cd \"
mkdir myfiles
cd myfiles
mkdir jpegs

now where are your files now? say c:\bunchoffiles

move c:\bunchoffiles\*.jpg .   <--- dont forget the "." or  you can do move c:\bunchofiles\*.jpg c:\myfiles\jpegs

"dir"  to confirm
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:20:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
bring up a command prompt (start -> run enter CMD) or Start -> Accessories -> command prompt

decide where you want your directory, say C:\myfiles\jpegs
so "cd \"
mkdir myfiles
cd myfiles
mkdir jpegs

now where are your files now? say c:\bunchoffiles

move c:\bunchoffiles\*.jpg .   <--- dont forget the "." or  you can do move c:\bunchofiles\*.jpg c:\myfiles\jpegs

"dir"  to confirm

Bravo    

someone who still remembers dos commands
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Thanks.

I first did a test on a file with:
move c:\bunchoffiles\test.jpg

And it disappeared forever

Then after more tests and renaming folders to simple names and moving them to down the file structure I found the winning command:
move c:\bunchoffiles\*.jpg c:\jpg

And all the jpg files went into my JPG folder. I then repeated this for half a dozen file types. Now it's down to a workable number of files and folders.

My harddrive thanks you!  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:27:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks.

I first did a test on a file with:
move c:\bunchoffiles\test.jpg

And it disappeared forever

You didn't lose it, it just moved to the current directory where the move command was issued, you can
find it again by this

cd c:\
dir test.jpg /s
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:03:06 PM EDT
[#5]
What I want is a program that will deal with the following:

Duplicate files (via name and md5)
Duplicate names but different files (via md5)

and then sort everything all together, jpegs, videos, text files, and whatnot. The duplicates bit is the touchy one.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:08:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

and then sort everything all together, jpegs, videos, text files, and whatnot. The duplicates bit is the touchy one.

what's md5? checksum?

if you do a "copy *.jpg c:\lumpedfiles\*.jpg" the copy command will prompt you if the files have the same name and if you want to overwrite it, but then you have same files in source directory you have to deal with.

You're probably better off using explorer, bring up 2 copies of it, one pointing at the source directory and one at the target directory (right mouse click on the start button --> explore) and manage the files that way.  You can sort by extension, size, date, etec.  You can also select one or multiples to copy, delete, cut, paste.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:12:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

For $10 you can use Duplicate Files Manager.  Works a treat.

And here's one for free.  Haven't tried it, but the price is right.

Alpine
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top