User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 8:39:01 PM EDT
For less than the cost of a new high-end computer, you could get one of these:

Gigabit Network Attached Storage 1 Terrabyte - $780

- rem
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:08:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy four 250GB drives?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:21:37 PM EDT
[#2]
That's ALOT of storage.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:25:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy four 250GB drives?

Sure, you could buy 4 drives at 250GB each.  The external housing is another 400 bucks, if you want a "one box" solution.

Just thinking out loud here...could you get a cheap barebones mini-tower, stuff it with hard drives and a RAID controller and do this on the cheap?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:02:55 PM EDT
[#4]
It's actually cheaper to go this route if you want NETWORK ATTACHED storage. Meaning it is all set to just plug into your router/hub and be on the network.

You could buy a cheap RAID housing and 4 drives but you'd have to connect it to your computer via FireWire or USB, and you might even end up paying more.

- rem
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#5]
You could just salvage an old computer, put a couple of large drives in it and use it as a file server.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:11:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I posted elsewhere I've got a NAS box running on a PII running 1TB using NASLite.  Not "the sexy" like these newfangled NAS devices, but I'm guessing they're making a healthy profit on the current crop of NAS devices for the home.

Maybe I could just get one of those 5TB drives that's being worked on..though it's still years away.  Hmmm...I'd probably need a few of them though...hehe.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:18:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Some of those NAS devices have a built in webserver of sorts. So you can access your files from anywhere via a login and password.

-d
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top