Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2005 7:25:42 PM EDT
SBC has a setup but costs about 100 dollars to purchase.

Does anyone have any other setups they've used with success?

Maybe I could use some other network equipement that doesn't cost and arm and a leg?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:28:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Just run the cable out of the DSL modem to a basic Linksys router ($20 or so). No big deal.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#2]
buy a wireless router and card for 20-40 after rebate and you are good to go.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to use a 4-port router and run CAT-5e cable to both computers...one thru a wall to a neighbor.  The router only cost-at that time-about $50.

HH
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:31:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I used to use a 4-port router and run CAT-5e cable to both computers...one thru a wall to a neighbor.  The router only cost-at that time-about $50.

HH

ditto here.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a wired router. Wireless routers have WAY too many problems(packet loss, interference, etc.) and serious security problems. Not too mention that they're pricier for an inferior product.

Get a standard router, shouldn't cost you more than $30.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

HH

My neighbors don't use that intarnet nor thems computin devices. Plus I got that cable intarnet.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:34:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Just run the cable out of the DSL modem to a basic Linksys router ($20 or so). No big deal.

+1
I would go wireless though
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:41:37 PM EDT
[#8]
if both computers are in the same room, you can get a wired router.

if the computers are in separate rooms, you will need a wireless router.

wired is cheaper.  You will need 2 NIC cards (one network cable interface card in each computer)

wireless is more expensive. You will need at least one wireless card (real easy to install on laptop).

you can do it by yourself for less than they will charge.  it's very easy to do.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:47:20 PM EDT
[#9]
here's how a router works:

each blue line is a network wire (called CAT 5).

in the top left is your DSL modem, connected to the router.  the other computers connect to the router via a network cable as well.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:42:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What's the best way to split my DSL Line...?

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:14:01 PM EDT
[#12]
only get a wireless if you're prepared to read up a lot on security and do a bunch of steps to make it secure, and then routinely modify the settings like the password and wep key to keep it secure
running cat 5 down the baseboard isn't that bad
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
if both computers are in the same room, you can get a wired router.

if the computers are in separate rooms, you will need a wireless router or be willing to run network cable through your house to wherever you have your other computer.

wired is cheaper.  You will need 2 NIC cards (one network cable interface card in each computer)

wireless is more expensive. You will need at least one wireless card (real easy to install on laptop).

you can do it by yourself for less than they will charge.  it's very easy to do.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:10:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I agree about the wired routers. They are cheaper and I have been running one for a few weeks now with ZERO issues. I am not that computer savvy so this was a no brainer hookup. My wife's PC is the primary PC in the house. My PC is mostly for games. BF2 is my new crack! It's the first "online" gane I have played and I gotta tel ya, it's outstanding. Only issue with wired stuff is snaking the wires in the walls/attic. I havent done it yet and the wife is nagging me about it. Wired router is the way to go.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:49:19 AM EDT
[#15]
I'll add a +1 to a router.  But just one router for a home environment.  SBC often supplies a "modem" called the Westell 2100 or 2200.  This model does fine as a modem, and on the side of the case it even says it's a modem.  But it is a combo-modem-router.  Do not purchase a router to use in conjunction with the Westell combo-modem-router.  If you have the SBC-supplied Westell, and it's one of the combo-modem-routers...then all you need is a switch or hub to add additional wired connections, or an "access point" to add additional wireless connections.

If you have a straightforward modem, then sure...go pick up a $20-30 router.  I recommend the main brands such as Linksys, D-Link, and Netgear.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top