Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2004 2:50:23 PM EDT
I set both of my parents up with PeoplePC. I installed it on my mother's computer.

Built a "new" computer for her. (Athlon XP 2200)
Disks used:

Win XP Professional.
Modem drivers
Norton AV 2001
People PC disk

Stuff was installed in that order. 2 Hours later, BANG! a virus. I had updated the Norton software too.

So, the virus ate a bunch of system32 files, so I decided to reinstall windows. I virus scanned all the disks used. No virus found.

Bang! She gets another virus a few days later! I dont know what one, but anytime old lady Mother Mugzilla gets a virus alert on her screen, it induces her to shit frisbees allo over the room, delete the virus, and not write down the name of the virus.

I don't know what People PCs deal is. sometimes, she cannot check er email, even right after logging on. No, the problem cant be duplicated by me. She is getting these viruses frmo SOMEWHERE. Not frmo email. NOT from lack of a firewall. (She is using Zonelabs...)

I am probably reinstalling everything this weekend here at the house. I have the Windows SP2 CD, so I will be using windows firewall instead of zonelabs.

CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND A CHEAP ISP THAT CAN KEPP MY MOTHER HAPPY BY GETTING HER HER DAMN EMAILS WHEN SHE WANTS THEM?!?!?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:52:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Netzero wasnt to bad w/ the spyware - on cable now, good luck.

Go ahead and install ad-aware by a company called lavasoft and spybot search and destroy - sounds like you might have some spyware running over there. Both you can get free from download.com
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:19:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top