Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2021 11:15:29 AM EDT
At end of this school yr my son can purchase his school laptop for $300.  I don't much about apple products so am wondering if that price is worth it or is this model just too old.  

Specs:
8GB RAM
128GB SSD
2.2GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz)
11 inch screen

specs from apple
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#1]
IDK if your state has a similar lease to ours, but we just bought out our now off-lease (leased by the State from Apple) 2015 MBAs for ~50 a piece. Batteries are on the way out, most have corner bumps. I don't think there's anywhere near $300 of value left in these. For a little research, go on eBay and search completed auctions for them and you'll get an idea of the the market currently will bear. Just my .02. If you can get a nice one for a Benji or thereabouts, it'd probably be worth it. I'm sure they are reimaging them, removing firmware password, etc., which I would make sure of.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 12:29:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd approach it from the standpoint of compatibility/ease of use.  

Is your son going back to the same school next year?
If so, are there programs/settings on the machine specifically for the school and its wifi/network?

The answers to those questions would probably drive my decision more than the specs on the machine.  If the answer to both questions is "yes,"  I'd probably buy it.  Otherwise, I'd pass on the purchase.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't expect to get more than 2-3 more years of OS and/or security updates from Apple for it, if you're lucky.  It's toward the low end of what their current version of MacOS supports, and it's Intel.  It's likely to be dropped from support in newer versions of Intel MacOS, or all Intel machines will be dropped.  Historically, they stop supporting old architectures 2-3 years after switching to something new.

If the battery's still good and it's in good condition otherwise, it's probably worth $300.  I wouldn't put a lot of money into any Intel Apple product these days.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the responses; I'm going to pass on it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 1:45:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the responses; I'm going to pass on it.
View Quote

I think that's a good call, after 5 years, it's going to need a battery replacement soon I'd imagine (one can click the apple, about this mac, power, and see what the remaining battery life it). $300 is a third of the way to a new one, especially with an educational discount.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top