Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2021 4:57:30 PM EDT
I'm looking for a hardware solution for testing links from point A to Point B, not a speed test site.
Something that is a piece of HW designed for this, not a laptop running some for of Linux, windows or any other OS) not a PI gadget someone built.

Just a box designed for testing link speeds.

I want to be able plug one in here at the office or at one end of a circuit (call it Point A)  and then send a tech out to point B.
Plug in the device and set it to DHCP if applicable or set a static and be able to test from Point A to Point B.
Something reliable and that can do at least a Gig.

Back when I worked at Charter, we had some of these, but can't remember their name or I'd search for them.

Anyone have any serious ideas??? We a small company so the cheaper the better.

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 5:24:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you testing L2 or L3 throughput?  If L3, is this inside a network or on public IP space?

We certify our L2 transports with Viavi (Formerly JDSU) T-Berds.  I will see what model we run tomorrow.  You want the L2/3 test set, not the OTDR, with the correct interfaces.  We are about to order our new 100G test sets; serious sticker shock when you get to that level.

There are some cheaper testers that don't do the serious standardized testing, but calibrated testers over 1Gbps get spendy.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 5:37:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Cable Qualification tester are used to determine networking connections meet specified speeds for business installations.
You can simply do this with two computers on each end and a data transfer.
Also use a Live LAN connection and test with a computer in the other end but will be limited by provided connection at Point A. If A is only receiving 100 meg you’ll only be able to see that at B. Over the standard 100m CAT5 expect a loss.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 6:31:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you testing L2 or L3 throughput?  If L3, is this inside a network or on public IP space?

We certify our L2 transports with Viavi (Formerly JDSU) T-Berds.  I will see what model we run tomorrow.  You want the L2/3 test set, not the OTDR, with the correct interfaces.  We are about to order our new 100G test sets; serious sticker shock when you get to that level.

There are some cheaper testers that don't do the serious standardized testing, but calibrated testers over 1Gbps get spendy.
View Quote

Layer 3 for the most part, public or private..

Yea, im worried about the price...
A gig would be fine for today. Our only 10Gs are fiber directly to our upstream providers.

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 6:46:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Cable Qualification tester are used to determine networking connections meet specified speeds for business installations.
You can simply do this with two computers on each end and a data transfer.
Also use a Live LAN connection and test with a computer in the other end but will be limited by provided connection at Point A. If A is only receiving 100 meg you'll only be able to see that at B. Over the standard 100m CAT5 expect a loss.
View Quote

I have lan cable testers for testing the cables themselves..

I just want something trustable I can plug in at site A and site B, get an IP or assign one.
Then hit a button and it blasts traffic from one end to the other to see what its max is...
Also, be nice to leave it in the enclosure and run all night or weekend, then come back and check the ports on each end for loss or drops.

I know they have testing apps for laptops, but as I stated above I don't want to use a laptop just because someone else does.

A small hand to medium held device would work better for a guy hanging off a tower at 300+ feet or up on a roof of a house or building...
So, I'd like an actual tester that I know is 100% reliable or as close to it as possible.

Just for grins, we were trying laptops today and the Iperf3 app from dos, but it kept crashing and reporting strange rates that did not match what the device port showed.

We are testing a UBNT AF60 from tower to tower.
It has gig ports on its POE and has a HW limitation of like 1.5 or 1.7Gbps combined each way...

But the iperf app seems to crash on our laptops when you get over a few hundred Mbps...

What Application do you use to test from laptop to laptop?

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Iperf if you set it up right, else I remember having a speed test option on a hella expensive fluke network tester we had for a long term eval.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 7:35:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Iperf if you set it up right, else I remember having a speed test option on a hella expensive fluke network tester we had for a long term eval.
View Quote

We tried IPerf3 and did not have good luck with it...

I dunno if it was an Iperf issue, a laptop hw issue or a windows 10 tcp/ip stack issue or some combo above...

On  10 or a 100 Mbps connections it seemed to work pretty ok.

On a gig circuit, not so much and it crashed alot or would run a few seconds and then start giving errors...

I had to put the gear I was wanting yo test online and its now running and passing several hundred Mbps of aggragete customer traffic just fine.

However, id still love to find a way to stress and pass a gig one way and both ways to see what equipment with actually do.

The Air Fiber units each have a gig port, but the back plane can only do 1.5 or 1.7 Gbps total, depending distance and RF conditions.

We were wanting to run tests from point A to point B under idea conditions an during a serious rain.

I know they can suffer from "rain fade" during really massive rains,, so I wanted too see it, before we went live. We had a bunch or storms last week I could have tested before and during to see the difference in results.

Also lots of other stuff it'd be nice to be able to test.

If it would help, I can get the exact commands we were running g in the Iper boxes next week.

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I just don't know anything as flexible or as cheap as laptops on either end running iperf.  

Found this quick, but I'll try to find what a review I watched with wireless testing used.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000139427/how-to-test-available-network-bandwidth-using-iperf#article-content
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top