Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2016 11:16:05 PM EDT
I have a bunch of computers between work and home and I do like Windows 10. At work I have one we had to rollback to 7 because our blood machine are not compatible with 10 at this time. We figured that out in the first 2 days no issues.

My home laptop I upgraded to Windows 10 right after I got it last January(?) now with the most recent Windows update it will not come up. It takes about 10 times to try to reboot and finally give me the option to do a restore to a previous time but since I am past the 30 day trial I cannot go back unless I reinstall 7 which for me is a PITA.

Anybody have any ideas. I had to do this twice in the past two days. Is there a way to turn off the automatic updates?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:32:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a bunch of computers between work and home and I do like Windows 10. At work I have one we had to rollback to 7 because our blood machine are not compatible with 10 at this time. We figured that out in the first 2 days no issues.

My home laptop I upgraded to Windows 10 right after I got it last January(?) now with the most recent Windows update it will not come up. It takes about 10 times to try to reboot and finally give me the option to do a restore to a previous time but since I am past the 30 day trial I cannot go back unless I reinstall 7 which for me is a PITA.

Anybody have any ideas. I had to do this twice in the past two days. Is there a way to turn off the automatic updates?

Thanks!
View Quote

Unless something changed you cannot stop the updates, only delay them.

It's just one of the reasons I'm not upgrading to Win 10.  Too many reports of broken things after those forced updates.

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:23:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Updates can be turned off, but I forget how.

It took me lots of googles to figure it out, but it can be done.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:05:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote

I think that "rollback" is to the last restore point, which it should create automagically before any major update like the one that's giving you trouble.

You can stop updates by going into Services.msc and disabling the Windows Update service, but that will stop ALL updates, including Windows Defender virus/malware updates.  You can still go get the manual updates though, but it's something you'll have to consciously do regularly (daily).
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 6:18:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 7:08:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You can stop updates by going into Services.msc and disabling the Windows Update service, but that will stop ALL updates, including Windows Defender virus/malware updates.  You can still go get the manual updates though, but it's something you'll have to consciously do regularly (daily).
View Quote

You say that like it's a bad thing.  Windows Defender is a joke.  Get Malware Bytes or pretty much anything else.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:58:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You say that like it's a bad thing.  Windows Defender is a joke.  Get Malware Bytes or pretty much anything else.
View Quote

Yep. Plenty of better free or low cost options that work far better.

Personally, I use Bitdefender and I'm perfectly happy with it. It scores consistently near or at the top in tests, too.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top