Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2003 4:40:41 PM EDT
Don't need it, don't use it, didn't want it, couldn't get rid of it.

When installing XP home I un-checked Messenger but it installed anyway.

I tried add/remove software but it was already running. Trying to close the program down it refused. Trying to stop the process it refused too.

For two weeks I've tried the tips. First the registry edit with the added key and value - from Microsofts Knowledge base failed to work.

Then I tried to rename the directory which was write protected and then protected again because the process was active.

Booted to safe mode command line prompt - I'm a DOS Commando from way back. Navigated to the directory and tried Move but failed to get the syntax right - then Copy dittos but the old del *.* sure worked.

Rebooted once and it hasn't re-appeared yet. Damn that thing was like a herpes infection that kept coming back!

Microsoft claims that both Outlook Express and Internet Explorer "use" Messenger but no troubles yet.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:48:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been trying to get rid of messenger too.
I will give what you did a try.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Good for you! I was able to rename mine easily and haven't heard a peep yet. Oh, Win XP Pro, on mutliple machines.

Edited to add: This also worked for one of my machines...

begin-
Removal Process

Goto Start click Run. In the Run box enter in the following string:
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove.

Then the normal uninstall process will be presented to you and BLAAAM! it's gone bye-bye. :-)

End-

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:33:03 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are running XP, you can't run clean without XP Anti-Spy.  GREAT program.  Will uninstall and disable all of those annoying little gimmicks that you really don't want in XP.  Check it out here:
http://www.xp-antispy.de/index.html?/news-e.htm
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:59:51 AM EDT
[#4]
If just going into Messenger itself and un-selecting the "Run at startup" option doesn't work, try this:

Open a Notepad file and copy and paste this :

On Error Resume Next

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WshShell.RegWrite "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Messenger\Client\PreventRun",1,"REG_DWORD"
WshShell.RegWrite "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Messenger\Client\PreventAutoRun",1,"REG_DWORD"
WshShell.RegWrite "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\Hide Messenger",2,"REG_DWORD"

Message = "Windows Messenger will no longer run, or start automatically."

X = MsgBox(Message, vbOKOnly, "Done")
Set WshShell = Nothing

Save the file on the Desktop with VBS extenstion, then double-click it to run it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 1:40:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you.

Ding dong the witch is dead!!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 3:38:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Im on the opposite end of the spectrum

I use it all the time to keep in touch with people that live far away, and the service seems to go down constantly. Worthless piece of crap
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#7]
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>..

BTT   [bounce]
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 11:39:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Goto Start click Run. In the Run box enter in the following string:
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

ByteTheBullet  (-:
View Quote

thanks.  that was painless.

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#9]
This is typical of M$, have it bill's way. For relief use Linux.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top