Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2015 10:41:37 AM EDT
Download is complete.  Schools is over.  Is it time to do the upgrade?

I'm currently on Windows 8.1, and I like it.  

I have a ton of programs on here.  Too many to list.  Have you had/heard of compatibility problems with software packages?

I've ran 10 in a VM, and it seems fine.  The UI seems a little more "familiar."

So, should I upgrade?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:46:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:05:02 PM EDT
[#2]
My geek sources tell me Apple/MAC is #1 and W10 sucks.  But who knows?  
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:34:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Apple is nice.  I've used it, but I'm not that big of a fan.  They're overpriced, but that's JMO.  

I'm actually starting to go more for Linux as a cost save.  All my non-critical stuff is Linux, but I'll have a Windows PC as my main PC, as long as it's dominant.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:13:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Go for it. I did. I had win7 though. Got new drive and installed 7 again. Then went to 10. All my old data still on drive where i can access and still boot to win7
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:23:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Go for it. You have the option to rollback within a month.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I have it on about 3 machines and its working just fine. I first did and upgrade, but later backed up my data and did a clean install.  Just make sure you back up your data before doing the upgrade.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:32:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have it on about 3 machines and its working just fine. I first did and upgrade, but later backed up my data and did a clean install.  Just make sure you back up your data before doing the upgrade.
View Quote

Is the ability to do a clean install included with the download?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:03:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. But once you do so, you lose the ability to revert to 8.1
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:43:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have a ton of programs on here.  Too many to list.  Have you had/heard of compatibility problems with software packages?

So, should I upgrade?
View Quote

I would wait till ~Januanary to allow for the early issues to be worked out.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, should I upgrade?

What issues?  Win 10 has been out for a year in public beta.  If your software works in 8.1, it will work in 8.2 Windows 10
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:06:44 PM EDT
[#12]
For gaming it makes your frame rate drop.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:14:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What issues?  Win 10 has been out for a year in public beta.  If your software works in 8.1, it will work in 8.2 Windows 10
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, should I upgrade?

There are many small issues that affect windows 10 that have yet to be straightened out.  And the OP did say that he has many programs that he currently uses.  No need to jump in immediately.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:20:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I kept getting notices and decided to download the upgrade to my laptop with Windows 7 on it since a few people I have talked to about it really liked it.  Everything important was backed up and I decided to download and do the upgrade.  Let the laptop do its thing and the next day all I had was a blank screen.  I decided to just leave it and see what happens.  It has now been a few days and the screen is still blank, even though I can tell it is on.   Any ideas?  Is there any customer support from Microsoft as far as this goes?   Sorry for the Hijack.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I kept getting notices and decided to download the upgrade to my laptop with Windows 7 on it since a few people I have talked to about it really liked it.  Everything important was backed up and I decided to download and do the upgrade.  Let the laptop do its thing and the next day all I had was a blank screen.  I decided to just leave it and see what happens.  It has now been a few days and the screen is still blank, even though I can tell it is on.   Any ideas?  Is there any customer support from Microsoft as far as this goes?   Sorry for the Hijack.
View Quote

What have you tried?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:59:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What have you tried?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What have you tried?

I have now tried to reboot the laptop which does shut down and starts to reboot, I even get animated windows logo while booting, but then it goes back to the blank screen.  Laptop worked fine up to this point.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So, should I upgrade?
View Quote

The important consideration is the programs you have.

Any general program should work fine in win10.

Any program that tends to push the limits of the CPU or GPU might want to give you pause. For example, if you are using Adobe software for photo editing, you might want to wait for  the next release of Adobe's software before doing the win10 upgrade.

If this is a "want to" instead of a "need to" upgrade, my recommendation is to always wait until the first service pack.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:12:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Any program that tends to push the limits of the CPU or GPU might want to give you pause. For example, if you are using Adobe software for photo editing, you might want to wait for  the next release of Adobe's software before doing the win10 upgrade.

If this is a "want to" instead of a "need to" upgrade, my recommendation is to always wait until the first service pack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, should I upgrade?

That's not how this works.  That's not how any of this works.  There are no more Windows service packs.  Windows 10 IS Windows 8 SP2.

Uninstall your antivirus/security software before upgrading.  If you have older hardware running Windows 7, make sure all of your devices have Windows 8 drivers available.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:25:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's not how this works.  That's not how any of this works.  There are no more Windows service packs.  Windows 10 IS Windows 8 SP2.
View Quote

Exactly. Microsoft hasn't done service packs since Windows 7, and only ever did one for it over four years ago.

Still impressive how many people who fancy themselves as qualified to give out tech advice don't even know that.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I have now tried to reboot the laptop which does shut down and starts to reboot, I even get animated windows logo while booting, but then it goes back to the blank screen.  Laptop worked fine up to this point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What have you tried?

Use another computer. Go to Microsoft and find the Media Creation Tool. Use it to create a Windows 10 boot USB drive. Insert USB drive and boot. You may have to go to the BIOS and change the boot order. It should boot into a menu and there should be a "Troubleshoot" tile. Click that and then click reset PC. This will completely wipe the computer and start over. Since you have everything backed up, this shouldn't be a problem.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:31:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I updated to Win 10 today.  So far, I've only used a couple of apps.  

OpenVPN took some configuration changes.  

PDANet doesn't want to grab a DNS server.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Use another computer. Go to Microsoft and find the Media Creation Tool. Use it to create a Windows 10 boot USB drive. Insert USB drive and boot. You may have to go to the BIOS and change the boot order. It should boot into a menu and there should be a "Troubleshoot" tile. Click that and then click reset PC. This will completely wipe the computer and start over. Since you have everything backed up, this shouldn't be a problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What have you tried?

I was able to make it through all the steps fairly easily.  I actually had an issue with the computer booting from the USB drive after switching but eventually it went.  I got it to start resetting and it made it to about 50% when it said there was an error resetting the computer.  I did restart the process to see if it makes any difference, but maybe its possible I am having some sort of hardware failure that may have caused the original issue?  I had some diagnostic tests give me some hard drive errors earlier but the computer was working fine so I didn't think much of it.  Maybe its time to upgrade to a solid state.

EDIT:  Still not able to complete the reset after the second attempt.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:07:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

There are many small issues that affect windows 10 that have yet to be straightened out.  And the OP did say that he has many programs that he currently uses.  No need to jump in immediately.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, should I upgrade?

Such as?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:22:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I was able to make it through all the steps fairly easily.  I actually had an issue with the computer booting from the USB drive after switching but eventually it went.  I got it to start resetting and it made it to about 50% when it said there was an error resetting the computer.  I did restart the process to see if it makes any difference, but maybe its possible I am having some sort of hardware failure that may have caused the original issue?  I had some diagnostic tests give me some hard drive errors earlier but the computer was working fine so I didn't think much of it.  Maybe its time to upgrade to a solid state.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What have you tried?

What laptop do you have? And what diagnostic was giving you hard drive errors?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:48:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's a Dell Inspiron 5050.   I think it was an AVG diagnostic tool I ran when I updated the free software.  I just ran all of the scans right away.  This was months ago and I didn't think a whole lot of it since the laptop was never performing any different.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top