Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2014 11:08:09 PM EDT
Just thought I'd post here and not in GD for all the IT-incompetent tards to hack at.

I created a new guest SSID on my Wireless AP at home and moved all my "untrusted worthy" devices to the guest network instead (which blocks access to the intranet).

With all the breaches occurring recently, I don't really trust anything I can't actively monitor, run a NETSTAT on, or I don't understand what traffic the device generates to mysterious IPs on the internet.

If your family has multiple devices like iPhones, Blackberrys, Androids, etc, you can do the same thing.

It's not perfect or foolproof, but would cut out a good 80% of damage that could be done. Especially if you have kids or teens with phones. They download so many garbage "apps", it's scary.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:43:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Guest access is a fairly common feature on the newer wireless  router/ switches.  Like you, it's one of those options I never thought of using until recently.

I've helped friends and relatives occasionally by performing maintenance or cleaning up their laptops, and it's a good computing practice to keep their stuff isolated from my stuff.  Considering someone could view your wireless key in plain characters in their wireless setup, I'd rather not give them the access to my other networked assets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top