Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2013 4:06:11 PM EDT
I installed Speedfan on an ESXi VM.  Its reporting 100 degrees C (212 F).  This is a 3.2GHz E6700.  There's no way this is accurate.  Plus, when I shut down all processes and the CPU use falls to 0%, after a few minutes, the temp never changes.

Is there a way to reliably monitor the system temp?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing I know of.  Is there a reason  you want the data?  

I've got 100 ESXi hosts in production and we don't give a shit about their temps.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 4:44:34 PM EDT
[#2]
What kind of server is the host?
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Nothing I know of.  Is there a reason  you want the data?  

I've got 100 ESXi hosts in production and we don't give a shit about their temps.

Personal machine, lives in the living room, running warm, looking to monitor temps to determine if I need to upgrade to a larger case.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 4:52:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Home build E6700 on an Intel MB running ESXi off a USB stick.  One VM at the moment.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Good question.

If its an HP, I think you can get it from the iLO interface but I'd have to check one tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 4:55:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Try this and see if it gives you any data.

http://superuser.com/questions/442041/how-to-monitor-cpu-heat-inside-vm-inside-esx

This should get what your after as long as the hardware is capable of reporting it.  I just tested it on a host at work and I can see temps for power modules, CPUs and system board.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top