Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2011 6:04:34 PM EDT
Holy crap, I cannot find any way to do this.  I was really bummed that windows media didn't play bluray, and then pissed that power dvd wouldn't let me screen shot anything.  Any tips or links yall can provide would be awesome.  There are a couple of "bluray rippers" for $65+, but I can't find good reviews for them to see if they work, and I really don't want to pay for a program just to screen shot.

This is stupid.  My movie, my computer, yet I can't take still pics from them.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:33:16 PM EDT
[#1]
It's part of the copy protection system.  

I thin that you can find screen shot programs that might be able to do it.  Google would be a good place to start.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:12:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been hitting the google, but apparently my kung fu is weak.

I'll see if I can find something in the morning when I not so sleepy.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:04:03 PM EDT
[#3]
maybe try fraps? not sure if it will do it or not but its free and worth a try.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:07:24 PM EDT
[#4]
VLC?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:49:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
VLC?

This might work.  VLC Media Player lets you take screenshots of regular DVDs (in addition to being a kickass media player in general).  I don't see why it wouldn't let you screenshot Blu-ray movies as well, but I could be wrong.

I don't do Blu-ray for a number of reasons, so I haven't tried it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:14:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
maybe try fraps? not sure if it will do it or not but its free and worth a try.

Nope, doesn't work

Quoted:
Quoted:
VLC?

This might work.  VLC Media Player lets you take screenshots of regular DVDs (in addition to being a kickass media player in general).  I don't see why it wouldn't let you screenshot Blu-ray movies as well, but I could be wrong.

I don't do Blu-ray for a number of reasons, so I haven't tried it.

Neither does VLC.  For VLC to work I need to convert the bd to wmv, or whatever, so I still need another program.  Damn.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:36:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Arcsoft had a total media software that had a screen capture program in it that would work on blu ray but has since took it out.  I don't know if you can find it online anymore or what.  Other wise, it looks like you are going to have to convert it to another format to do the screen capture.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:07:45 AM EDT
[#8]
VLC can play the blu ray file if it is pulled to your hard drive and decrypted.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:50:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Turn off hardware acceleration in Windows.  You may then be able to get a screenshot on a paused screen.

CJ

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#10]
would pausing the movie, then hitting th "print screen" button work?

no experience here, just a guess...
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:54:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
VLC can play the blu ray file if it is pulled to your hard drive and decrypted.

Cool, do you know any good BD burner programs?  It would be excellent if free to boot

Quoted:
Turn off hardware acceleration in Windows.  You may then be able to get a screenshot on a paused screen.

CJ

Hmm, I can't turn off hardware acceleration in Win7, but I did try to run powerdvd in compatibility mode like this dude suggests (dude suggestion) and it is a no go.

Quoted:
would pausing the movie, then hitting th "print screen" button work?

no experience here, just a guess...

Nah, windows media player cannot play bluray, so I needed another program to play it, which is powerdvd10.  The damn thing disables the printscreen function.

I guess I just need a bd burner program and do it that way.

**edit**
thanks for all of the help/suggestions though, it's fun trying to figure this out.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Cool, do you know any good BD burner programs?  It would be excellent if free to boot

Free probably isn't going to happen.  Blu-ray is a tougher task than regular DVDs, so the only really capable ripping programs for Blu-ray are commercial.

I suspect there's a Blu-ray flavor of DVDFab, but again, I have more experience with the SlySoft products.  

Slysoft has a product called AnyDVD HD, which handles Blu-ray in addition to regular DVD.  Like AnyDVD, AnyDVD HD has a 21-day free trial.  

The only restrictions of the trial version are: it doesn't save settings when you exit the program, and it makes you sit through a "There are this many days left in your free trial" countdown dialog every time you rip a disc.  Kind of a PITA, but you can get a good idea whether it's worth purchase.

AnyDVD HD with 2 years of updates (necessary to combat the Blu-ray publishers' continued attempts to block ripping) is 79€ (about $109!).

Not cheap, but gives you the ability to watch/reformat/transcode/whatever your movies however you choose.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 4:54:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Free probably isn't going to happen.  Blu-ray is a tougher task than regular DVDs, so the only really capable ripping programs for Blu-ray are commercial.

I suspect there's a Blu-ray flavor of DVDFab, but again, I have more experience with the SlySoft products.  

Slysoft has a product called AnyDVD HD, which handles Blu-ray in addition to regular DVD.  Like AnyDVD, AnyDVD HD has a 21-day free trial.  

The only restrictions of the trial version are: it doesn't save settings when you exit the program, and it makes you sit through a "There are this many days left in your free trial" countdown dialog every time you rip a disc.  Kind of a PITA, but you can get a good idea whether it's worth purchase.

AnyDVD HD with 2 years of updates (necessary to combat the Blu-ray publishers' continued attempts to block ripping) is 79€ (about $109!).

Not cheap, but gives you the ability to watch/reformat/transcode/whatever your movies however you choose.

Aha, very good kind sir.  I will definitely check that out.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 4:14:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks Objekt for the anydvd suggestion it works!  Took 45-50 mins to burn the bluray, I lost track of time playing world of tanks.
The hottie from the G.I. Joe movie.  I have the free fraps so it was saved as bitmap (png should look better I believe).  

here is some district 9

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top