Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2009 10:42:03 PM EDT
Hey I have some crap on my bodies mirror. Luckily it doesn't show on the image but it is in the viewfinder.

Any idea on removal...diy? Ship? Not many decent camera stores nearby.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 8:51:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Never, ever, ever, never, ever touch the mirror.  Get the point?  Too much electronic sensor crap going on with the mirror.
Send it off to a factory service center for a routine cleaning and tell them the mirror needs a little more attention.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 9:29:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Never, ever, ever, never, ever touch the mirror.  Get the point?  Too much electronic sensor crap going on with the mirror.
Send it off to a factory service center for a routine cleaning and tell them the mirror needs a little more attention.

while, in general, I agree - if you use a light touch with a soft brush, you can probably clean it.

the downside is, you can break the mirror, and then you get to replace your dslr.

picture a kitten's ear - the inside. you have some sandpaper. you need to sand the inside of the kitten's ear, very lightly.

that's too hard a touch for a mirror. be careful, go slow, don't use compressed air.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 10:07:34 AM EDT
[#3]
It might not actually be on the mirror, it could be in the viewfinder.

I wouldn't worry about anything that doesn't effect the picture... unless it's like a HUGE hunk of something that is making it difficult to see what you're doing.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 10:55:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I use a brush or one of those puffers.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

This, anything more and you will hurt the sensor or mirror...probably.

I used the puffer on mine and cleaned the sensor up real well.  No more spots on my pics.  I still see crap in the viewfinder though, but it's only in the viewfinder so I leave it alone.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 1:50:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This, anything more and you will hurt the sensor or mirror...probably.

I used the puffer on mine and cleaned the sensor up real well. No more spots on my pics. I still see crap in the viewfinder though, but it's only in the viewfinder so I leave it alone.

To tell the truth, I've gotten more aggressive on several occasions when replacing seals and bumper foam on film bodies.  But dust is pretty simple.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 4:05:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 11:44:38 AM EDT
[#8]
If it is just dust and stuff you should be able to use one of those air puffers on it. If you do that and it is still there, flip the camera upside down and make sure that it's not the bottom of the viewfinder that is actually dirty
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 12:47:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Here is a picture of how a DSLR operates....

Touching the mirror or the viewfinder will not "cause problems" with the image....touching or damaging the SENSOR is another story....

You can look at your MIRROR with NO LENS installed....you should be able to see the offending "lint",most times it is in the "viewfinder". Most DSLR cameras have a viewfinder/viewscreen that is "user replaceable" however I do not recommend you doing this. You can use a blower-bulb to GENTLY blow on the mirror and view-screen while holding the camera upside down (in theory the "loose dirt" will gravitate down...

Send it in if you do not feel comfortable doing this...

ETA: Here is a slowdown process on how the mirror functions http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CHgBuKmfog&feature=player_embedded#t=60
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:52:21 PM EDT
[#10]

I've had really good luck with this product as well.

vmax84

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:21:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Cleaning the Sensor can be done,  VERY CAREFULLY.  I had to clean the sensor in my dslr because as i was changing lenses a couple snow flakes got in there and left water spots on the sensor.  If it isn't done right you can scratch the low pass filter or even damage the sensor.  I couldn't find the sensor swabs locally,  so i made do with what i had,  i used a Q-tip with a small flap of masking tape on it and wrapped that with a lens cleaning cloth,  misted the cloth with some lens cleaner and carefully cleaned the sensor.  Works great,  however i have since ordered the swabs.

Here is a pentax kit
And the swabs
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:41:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:43:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the input.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top