Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2009 8:23:01 AM EDT
First I know there are a million threads about everybody wanting a pick for a camera. I looked but didnt exactly see what I am looking for in the threads.

Between the Canon 40d, and Nikon D90, or other nikon or canon in this price range. Basically $750-$1100.  This is a present for my wife. She currently has a Nikon F-100. it is a decent film camera for her, but its time to go digital.  She would use this for general pupose, but she also does weddings for all the poor people we know who cant afford to pay a photographer.  She has taken classes at the community college so she has some idea how to use a camera.  She originally wanted to stick with nikon because she thought the lenses might also work on the digital. But her 2.8 was broken by accident. So now either brand would be ok. I would also like suggestions for a decent priced 2.8 lens. She uses it for indoors.  I know there a  million reasons why or why not to buy each one. But if you could post either you experience or just your knowledge of the cameras mentioned.

canon eos's

nikon digital slrs
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:33:17 AM EDT
[#1]
i just bought a t1i.  in hindsight i should have bought the 50d since that is what i really wanted.  but it would have been almost 2k by the time you add an average priced lens.  if you are willing to part with 2k buy the 50d.  if 1k is more your price get the t1i.  dont get me wrong the t1i takes awesome pics.  i have had a prosumer canon (10d) and there are things i like better about them, ie. construction, size.  however i would venture to say that my original digital rebel (300d) was easier to operate.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:05:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I just picked up a Canon 5DMKii and am selling my complete Nikon D300 kit if you are interested.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:08:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Go for the Canon 40D. You can get them used for cheap. Probably the best bang for your buck given your application.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 2:29:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I would say she should go to the store and see which suits her hand(s) the best. I find Nikons to suit me better in hand and the menus and buttons more logically laid out. They both are capable of taking great photos. Also, look at the lenses she might want and compare those as well to decide which system will suit her style the best.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:02:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Between the Canon 40d, and Nikon D90, or other nikon or canon in this price range. Basically $750-$1100.  

For a man with larger hands I'd say get the 40D or a used Nikon D300.  But a woman might prefer the smaller size of the Nikon D90.  

I have the Canon 40D and really like using it.  I chose Canon over Nikon because I liked the selection of lenses a little better, but there's not really that much of a difference.

Quoted:
I just picked up a Canon 5DMKii and am selling my complete Nikon D300 kit if you are interested.

Ahh, congratulations on converting to the side of goodness and white lenses.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:09:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Between the Canon 40d, and Nikon D90, or other nikon or canon in this price range. Basically $750-$1100.  

For a man with larger hands I'd say get the 40D or a used Nikon D300.  But a woman might prefer the smaller size of the Nikon D90.  

I have the Canon 40D and really like using it.  I chose Canon over Nikon because I liked the selection of lenses a little better, but there's not really that much of a difference.

Quoted:

Ahh, congratulations on converting to the side of goodness and white lenses.  

Hate to rain on yer parade Ken, but I'll be using it mainly for the video side with all of my manual nikon primes.

I like Nikon glass better.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:54:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I have used nothing but Nikon products for about 20 years now.  They have the best features and especially glass than any.  You will not be disappointed getting a D90.  Cannon makes good stuff but the glass isn't top-shelf.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:17:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I have used nothing but Nikon products for about 20 years now. They have the best features and especially glass than any. You will not be disappointed getting a D90. Cannon makes good stuff but the glass isn't top-shelf.

Uh-oh...be careful!  I think most of these guys shoot Canon!  (I prefer Nikon, of course  )
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:27:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have used nothing but Nikon products for about 20 years now.  They have the best features and especially glass than any.  You will not be disappointed getting a D90.  Cannon makes good stuff but the glass isn't top-shelf.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:28:25 AM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:33:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks everyone. I narrowed it from the original post down to the D90 and 40d. Our 6th aniversary is in a month and then i will take her down to try them both. Good suggestion about the size of the camera body. I have man hands it never occured to me that the camera could be too big. I guess its like those of you whose hands are to small for a double stack .45.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:59:05 AM EDT
[#13]
I had the same decision.  I just bought the Nikon and I am very happy with it.  There really isn't a bad choice, I just went with Nikon because it was a better deal at the time.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:46:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Hate to muddle the conversation. But have you considered the new Nikon D5000? It has most of the D90 features in a lighter D40 body and costs alot less. It also does avi movies.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:04:17 AM EDT
[#15]
i realy like  the D5000 and a good price for all the features. the flip down screen  is cool. but no internal auto focus motor. i would go for the camera for me for sure. but my wife uses the auto focus feature
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:53:20 AM EDT
[#16]
I just picked up a new D90 body a few months back, along with 2 new SB900 flashes with PW's.
Great DSLR. Also picked up a new 24-70/2.8G DX/FX lense to go with it.
The D5000 is much more compact because it has no servo and must use AF-S lenses while the D90 has a AF servo within the body.
I might move up to FX and get a D700 near Xmas.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:15:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

i realy like  the D5000 and a good price for all the features. the flip down screen  is cool. but no internal auto focus motor. i would go for the camera for me for sure. but my wife uses the auto focus feature

It will still autofocus, but only with lenses that have a focus motor built in.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top