Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2009 4:25:54 PM EDT
Anybody know of any screamin deals out there?

I've outgrown my little Canon point and shoot (its wonderful, and I will keep it for quick and dirty shots) but I'm expanding my interest and arrived at this model.  I can't see spending the extra on a D-60 for extra lens range that I will never use, and scant more megapixel capability that I will never utilize because I'm not planning on making posters.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Go the D60, trust me on this one.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:27:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you consider one of the Super Zoom models??   Sony, Nikon, and Canon all make good models.. I have a Canon S5 with a 12x zoom.. They are much lighter/smaller than the full size DSLR and you get a lot of the same features.. My Canon has a hot shoe for a flash as well. The low light capabilities of the super zooms  are not as good as the DSLRs though..

At times I wish I had move up to the DSLR - (faster shutter time, better low light capabilities). BUT overall i am very happy with the Canon and I dont need to buy extra (and somewhat expensive) lenses needed for the DSLR to match the zoom.

check out the camera reviews here

Brian
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:55:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Have you consider one of the Super Zoom models??   Sony, Nikon, and Canon all make good models.. I have a Canon S5 with a 12x zoom.. They are much lighter/smaller than the full size DSLR and you get a lot of the same features.. My Canon has a hot shoe for a flash as well. The low light capabilities of the super zooms  are not as good as the DSLRs though..

At times I wish I had move up to the DSLR - (faster shutter time, better low light capabilities). BUT overall i am very happy with the Canon and I dont need to buy extra (and somewhat expensive) lenses needed for the DSLR to match the zoom.

check out the camera reviews here

Brian

Yes.  I was considering the S5.  A good friend of mine bought one and it is perfect for him, but definitely not for me.  

The D60 is nice, but would I really be getting more for the money?  In my research I don't think so, but maybe ARFCOM could convince me otherwise.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:12:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't see spending the extra on a D-60 for extra lens range
What extra lens range? Neither the D40 nor the D60 has an internal autofocus motor.

The D40 is a fine camera but when I had mine, every time I took pictures in low light, I wished I had forked over the extra cash for a D60 with it's eye sensor to turn off the LCD automatically.

edit for punctuation
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 10:18:26 PM EDT
[#5]
The range of lenses available, as in servicable lenses available for the model. I guess for the same price as a D-40 I could get a 60 body and scour the net for used lenses.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 10:41:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The range of lenses available, as in servicable lenses available for the model. I guess for the same price as a D-40 I could get a 60 body and scour the net for used lenses.

why would you? get a D40 or a D90. The D60 is dead.

OP: I bought mine at Fred Meyer's.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:56:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I got a D60 but the D40 takes great pics too. Can't go wrong either way.

I got my D60 at Costco in a really nice bundle. I've seen the D40 sold in a really well priced bundle also there - check it

Just camera and lens - $419

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 2:28:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Sorry, posted in the wrong thread!

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:24:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:37:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

why would you? get a D40 or a D90. The D60 is dead.

This
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:56:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Why would you go Nikon? Go Canon XTi or whatever that level is now? If you want something a bit better, go for the 50D. Canon brings better glass over Nikon IMO. I also think they are easier to use and just make for sense on their design. However, I have used both daily including Nikon for over a year and they are both good cameras. I like the D40, but I really enjoy using the D90.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:51:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I can't see spending the extra on a D-60 for extra lens range
What extra lens range? Neither the D40 nor the D60 has an internal autofocus motor.

The D40 is a fine camera but when I had mine, every time I took pictures in low light, I wished I had forked over the extra cash for a D60 with it's eye sensor to turn off the LCD automatically.

edit for punctuation

I'm surprised you can't turn it off by default in the menus like you can on the D40x.

I'd go with the D40 for it's better flash synch speed.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:34:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I recently purchased a D40 to supplement  my aging D1 SLR's I am totally pleased with it.  The D1 has a lot more flexibility as it is a professional camera  but I am not at all unhappy with the results produced with the D40.  For amateur shooting it is a wholly suitable camera.  Although I do want a  D2 really soon to replace my D1's
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top