Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2007 3:24:01 PM EDT
Wolf has a good deal on them, the body and a Nikkor 28-80for $500 or with a 18-55 for $550.  I have reviewed previous posts regarding this model, and find it to be highly regarded for what it is at this price point.  I have also noticed, though, a distaste for SD cards rather than CF.  Why is this?  I will also entertain the D40, but around the $600 mark is as high as I want to go.  For my purposes, the D50, probably the 18-55 lens and an additional wide angle, this is all I need for now.

Thanks!

TCN
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 6:14:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure on the SD vs CF other than if someone has CF already and doesn't want to buy all new memory cards.  Or they plan on using more than one body and want to keep them the same card type.  Seems like SD used to cost more, but I don't know if it still does...

Good luck on the D50, I am sure you will love it!  For wide angle, take a look at the Tokina 12-24, it's a nice lens for the money...
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 4:52:30 PM EDT
[#2]
What a frickin' sweet camera.  I can't wait to go out and spin it.  Also, a superfast 20 mb/s card for it.  Can't wait to get back at my photography.

Link Posted: 1/2/2007 6:12:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome!  Congrats.  You will love it.  I am not very good, but I hope to be better some day.  What I always tell myself is, "take more photos".
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:01:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Which lens kit did you get?

The only real difference I can see between SD and CF is that CF has the ability to take Microdrives.  These cards are so inexpensive relatively speaking with where they were 3-4 years ago that it is hardly worth the trouble trying to avoid having both or either.

I shoot with both, and I like the size advantage of SD and the connection arrangement makes far more sense.  CF tends to be slightly cheaper and there are more professional level CF type devices available.

It may be awhile before we see any SD sized microdrives.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 1:45:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have also noticed, though, a distaste for SD cards rather than CF.  Why is this?  

What jvic said. Every other DSLR uses CF (high end canons (1D's) can use both CF and SD) and Nikon for some odd reason went with SD for the D40/50/80. I have a BUNCH of cf cards. Planning on getting a new body and using the D70 as backup. The D80 would had been a great new body, uses the same batteries as teh D70 BUT takes different memory. Its a FULL SIZE BODY. This isnt a space limited P&S. Theres room in the body for a CF card.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 2:56:25 PM EDT
[#6]
As for the lens, I got it with a Nikkor 18-55.  I'd like to get a zoom and wide angle, as well.  Those 3 lenses will fit all of my needs.

As for the card issue, yeah, I can see the frustration with having to switch.  I already had SD's, but I went ahead and got a new one anyhow.  I do like the size of them compared to CF media, though.  Much handier for me.

Link Posted: 1/3/2007 5:19:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have also noticed, though, a distaste for SD cards rather than CF.  Why is this?  

What jvic said. Every other DSLR uses CF (high end canons (1D's) can use both CF and SD) and Nikon for some odd reason went with SD for the D40/50/80. I have a BUNCH of cf cards. Planning on getting a new body and using the D70 as backup. The D80 would had been a great new body, uses the same batteries as teh D70 BUT takes different memory. Its a FULL SIZE BODY. This isnt a space limited P&S. Theres room in the body for a CF card.

Sounds like the D200 is the one for you!
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Sounds like the D200 is the one for you!

Was my plan anyways.

Other plan is getting a Canon 30D
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:52:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top